Painting Iron

baaadlybent

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Hi. I'm gonna paint all the odd ball colors of surface and heavy irons I have since I NEVER use them. I seem to only use white/blue and white/mint. I'm guessing lightly sand, primer, and finish coats. Looking at my new salas irons they are nice and shiny. Maybe a clear coat over the colors? And I'm thinking just use Krylon spray paint. Other suggestions?

Upvote 0

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Actually, the salas are dull. The tadys are nice and shiny.

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I used paint stripper, primer and then Krylon to paint these jigs. Takes about 2 weeks for the paint smell to completely subside. I plan to use them at Cedros Island this year. If the paint scratches, I'll have fun painting them again :)

Back.jpg
    4 jigs.jpg
    IMG-0175.jpg

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Paint your lead sinkers while you are at it. I paint my sinkers because I don’t want to absorb lead into my system. Think about it lead corrodes in salt water. You handle the sinker and absorb into your skin or eat a boat burger and lead is on your skin.

Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

atun53

Almost A Member
    Nov 27, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    Name
    Chris Johnson
    Boat
    Skiff
    I use the Montana Gold brand that was recommended here a few years ago. I usually steal my wife’s Michael’s coupons and buy a few at a time. Malachite is what I use for Mint/White. Olive Green is my go to for wounded soldier. Seems thinner and a little more depth in color than krylon. I strip, chamfer the holes, and re-ring.

A few years ago my daughter had me paint a mint with light purple because it reminded her of Dora the Explorer. She got a kick out of it and I got some yellows up to 30 on it.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    When I "survived" in Mexico I would dip them in a can of house paint and fish the crap out of them! Worked like a charm.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
    sacramento, ca.
    Name
    randy welsh
    Boat
    16' mirrocraft
    I had a lot of fun with hydro dipping the lineup of roached out jigs a few years ago.

A hair dryer or heat gun if you have one can cut the cure time way down.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I saw some squid-like wraps for jigs at Turners yesterday. No idea how they work, looked cool though.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    How bout the "San Clemente Special" finish? Paint entire jig green (like forest green or metallic). Allow to completely dry. Paint entire jig white over the green. Before it dries all the way, scrape it up with a nail head or similar to show underlying green streaks. Knocks the shit out of the calicos at SCI (but then what doesn't on any given day?).

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

Nov 20, 2011
    Thornton
    Name
    Chuck Mc
    Boat
    none
    How bout the "San Clemente Special" finish? Paint entire jig green (like forest green or metallic). Allow to completely dry. Paint entire jig white over the green. Before it dries all the way, scrape it up with a nail head or similar to show underlying green streaks. Knocks the shit out of the calicos at SCI (but then what doesn't on any given day?).

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

That's like back in the day, baking white jigs until they turned the desired shade of squidly diddly brown for WSB at the 'Nados.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK
    In what direction do you scrape?
    Parallel to the center line of the jig?
    Or?

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    In what direction do you scrape?
    Parallel to the center line of the jig?
    Or?
    Lengthwise, random length. Suppose you could do crosswise too, or even little short scrapes for a speckled look. I'll see if I can get a picture of one.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0