Fin Fan

Headless Tuna!
Mar 14, 2015
Mission Viejo, Mulege, bcs Mexico
Name
J
Boat
Vaya con Dios
I am going to paint my boat, hull and inside, on my center console with a 2 part AlexSeal.

I plan on the roll and tip method, great with AlexSeal paints.

Anyone do this before? Could use a walk thru on it for process and materials. Let me know.

Jeff

Upvote 0

finfan

Almost A Member
Aug 2, 2005
San Diego
Name
STEVEN
Boat
32' Blackfin FB
I did my boat inside and out with Awlgrip. Advice would be to work in small areas when possible. When doing large areas, its good to have two people with one rolling and or tipping the other being a spotter for missed areas, drips, etc. Also remove as much hardware as you can.

The process for me was sand/prime/sand/prime/sand/topcoat. Was a lot of sanding.
Print the technical data sheets for the product and follow the instructions. Don't topcoat in humid/foggy weather.Lot of work but satisfying and a LOT cheaper than paying someone to do it.
Take pics...........

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I did mine and it turned out pretty good.The only tips i have would be NOT to do it when it's hot out or in the sun.Maybe early morning or later afternoon.

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Use the Alexseal A5018 additive and you don't need to tip. Boatworks Today has an entire series on this paint job that you can go back to the prep work before he painted for more details.

He has a lot of good information on his channel on painting, glassing and other work. He knows what he is talking about.

Reactions: Fin Fan

fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
I used total boat wet edge. On my transom. With that product very thin coats are crucial. A little goes a long way

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
I sprayed one of my 22 Guardians with awlgrip. It’s all about the prep work. Came out beautiful.

9602096B-0F87-4112-88D5-14A4DBBE927A.jpeg

Reactions: CODE RED
Upvote 0