scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
I want to add some custom color to my wife's rod, all my rods and hers are black. I have read mixed things about painting a completed rod, I don't want to take anything off of it, can I just scuff up the sections I want to paint, tape it off and hit it with a couple coats of color and couple of clear? I would take some of the tape off on the edges before clear for a smoother transition(good/bad idea?). what kind of paint and clear should I use?

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

Rick U

Almost A Member
Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
I think you will have a hard time painting between the wraps. The clear flexcoat overlaps the blank and the original color will show through. If you really want to paint the blank you will have to strip it and rewrap. Have you considered some colored shrink tubing over the grips? That would set it apart.

Upvote 0

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
I’m ok with the guide wraps staying black, I was thinking just painting it between the guides, or maybe just from the fore grip to the first or second guide.

Upvote 0

Rick U

Almost A Member
Oct 22, 2004
LA
Name
Rick
Boat
Montauk
Assuming you blank is black and the wraps are black it might work. What color are you thinking of painting it? Another alternative is to add some colored wraps like name badges or have a rod builder do something simple or fancy between the forgrip and the first guide. I’m just not a fan of paint.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    To do it right, you have to take the guides off, strip it down to bare blank material and repaint with epoxy based color. Seeker uses a diaphram of colored epoxy and then they dry it with the blank tip down.

Upvote 0