Paint plastic bait tank

mischief1

Jun 30, 2008
Canyon Country CA
Name
Dennis
Boat
24 Skipjack "Catchit"
I am thinking of painting my plastic bait tank looking for advice on what is the best type of paint. Do you need a special type of primer ???

Upvote 0

kapnd

Almost A Member
Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
krylon spray paint would probably work just use multiple coats
Krylon is excellent for plastics, but, as with any paint job, the surface must be CLEAN in order for the paint to do it’s job.
I don’t know what kind of residue/off gas Krylon produces, but I’d scrub with soap again after the paint is cured, and run the bait well without bait for a while to insure it’s flushed out.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    I had a very smooth bright red PVC 16' canoe that i needed to paint camo for duck hunting. I used my orbital sander with 80 grit. Sanded the whole boat inside and out, that took about one hour, wiped it down with acetone then hit the boat with one coat of
    RUSTOLEUM CAMOUFLAGE 2X ULTRA COVER in tan with brown over the top of the tan two get the camo pattern i like. Used the boat all duck season and never saw any red come through, even after running it over rock and stumps and junk. It has held up much better than i had anticipated. good luck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    I used krylon on the inside to black out the tank. It has been 4 years and holding up well.

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    You should wipe it down well with acetone and scuff it up with 60 grit. Krylon seems to work OK.

Personally I would get a sunbrella cover made instead of painting it.

Reactions: oceanjake
    Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    Never wipe down plastic with acitone , it degrades the plastic and will turn gooey after time to the point you will throw it away

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Never wipe down plastic with acitone , it degrades the plastic and will turn gooey after time to the point you will throw it away
    The plastic a bait tank is made is polypropylene and acetone won't harm it.I store acetone in plastic jugs,some of them are probably ten years old.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Dude you'll be fine, just clean with a good solvent designed for paint prep then shoot several coats followed by a clear coat to help protect. I believe I used Krylon for plastic. I painted my tank to blacken the inside to help calm bait and been working awesome. Will it get chipped scratched yes but you can easily touch up.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    The plastic a bait tank is made is polypropylene and acetone won't harm it.I store acetone in plastic jugs,some of them are probably ten years old.

Never seen a bait tank that wasn't polyethylene but with acetone the same thing applies. Both polypro and PE are fine with acetone.

Upvote 0