Paint Help

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
My pilot house floor is all scuffed up I would like to clean it up by painting it. Does anyone have any paint reccomendations for the fiber glass floor ? The anti skid is good .

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
l.p. is best or a 1 part poly urethane. after prepping put on your first paint coat, while the paint is still wet, use a can of silica sand for non skid. poke holes into the can of silica, so it's like a salt shaker, and cover the wet paint with sand. let it dry, and vacuum the excess. then put a couple coats of paint over the silica.

Reactions: gecsr1

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
Proline 2 part LP Paint - Cheap and high quality
you also have the option of ground tennis balls or for the sand look with out the headache if you have to grind it off to repaint Awlgrip makes fine - medium and course non skid particles which would be applied like Mattanza suggested

SaltyBeard

Bonafide
Nov 27, 2017
Oxnard
www.805marine.com
Name
Nick
Boat
Dream Boat
mask off area, roll some gel coat, sprinkle the non skid, let dry, roll another coat over non skid with wax, let dry, done. will last a lot longer than anything else.

Reactions: plj46

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Silica sand works great but if you ever have to grind or sand off the deck,good luck.I like walnut shell because it can be removed easily for a refinish.

Day0ne

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Did all of you miss the sentence "The anti skid is good ."?

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Did all of you miss the sentence "The anti skid is good ."?
Um no,but your non skid might not be very non skid with another coat of paint on it.I apologize for trying to help.Won't happen again.

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
Have you tried to aggressively clean it? It seems odd that you would want to paint it because of scuffs, especially inside the pilot house.

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
A few things you might try first are Soft Scrub, Bar Keepers Friend and Magic Eraser. If none of those work try acetone. Most likely paint will wear out and peel since it will be walked on.

c_mccann

Aug 8, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Casey Mccann
Boat
JC 35' - 'Fin & Tonic'
Is it textured gelcoat now? If you want to do it right and never look back, you sand the old surface to 120 grit smooth, prime with 545 awlgrip primer, then awlgrip topcoat over silica texture grit. It sounds harder than it really is, but that floor will withstand all stains and wear forever. 1 part paints will get checked up in time depending on how much traffic is on them.

brokeass boater

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
+2 on Awlgrip. If you go with the primer 545, and spray Awlgrip topcoat, it wont cover your up factory non skid. I replaced the deck in my Skippy so I had to add a non skid and used a rubber particle for non skid applications. The rest of the boat's factory non skid,, gunnels and bow area,, is " Spray" painted with Awlgrip, and the non skid is fine. If you roll it on, you may fill the factory non skid, IDK. The paint is worth every penny, just follow the directions and you be fine,,,gregg