Padres work on their roster, sign Moseley P & select Kontos P

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by hotrod, Dec 9, 2010.

1. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
    The Padres continue to work on their roster with some moves.

The Padres officially completed the agreement for former NYY and free agent right-handed pitcher Dustin Moseley at $900,000.

They took right-handed pitcher George Kontos in the annual Rule 5 draft of unprotected minor league free agents.

The Padres also selected third baseman Jacob Blackwood in the Triple-A portion of the draft.

The meetings ended with the Padres still working on finalizing the trade that would bring shortstop Jason Bartlett from the Tampa Bay Rays for relief pitchers Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos.

I will continue to update the Pads offseason moves since they claim they now have about 10 mil to spend on free agents, especially a first baseman.

2. arima

arima Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    PARKER 2520
    GO GIANTS

3. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Pads add 2B Orlando Hudson, finalize SS Jason Bartlett deal
    The Padres will have a double-play combination of Jason Bartlett and Orlando Hudson next season pending a physical by the second baseman.

The Padres on Friday completed the trade that will bring shortstop Bartlett, 31, and a player to be named later from Tampa Bay for pitchers Cesar Ramos, Adam Russell and Brandon Gomes and minor league infielder Cole Figueroa.

Meantime, a Padres source confirmed that Hudson, 33, has agreed to two-year contract with the Padres for $11.5 million pending the completion of a physical exam.

The moves along with the recent acquisition of center fielder Cameron Maybin will complete the off-season goal of Padres general manager Jed Hoyer to improve the club up the middle.

The Padres opened the 2010 season with Everth Cabrera at short, David Eckstein at second and Tony Gwynn in center field.

Adding Bartlett and Hudson would leave the Padres needing only a first baseman and backup catcher -- although the resources available to Hoyer might be running low.

Bartlett last season made $4 million with the Rays and is in his final season of arbitration eligibility. He will be a free agent after the 2011 season if the Padres don't sign him to a multiyear contract.

"I said our budget for 2011 was going to be higher than it was last year and this indicates I wasn't lying," Hoyer said Friday afternoon. "Our offseason is not over with. We still have some holes to fill.

"We have money to use."

Hudson Friday morning told the MLB Radio channel on Sirius XM he'll "probably end up" with the Padres while the club is still seeking to complete the trade with Tampa Bay that would bring Bartlett to San Diego.

Hudson is said to be accepting a two-year contract from the Padres worth $11.5 million.

Bartlett, a member of the 2009 American League All-Star team with the Rays, hit .254 with four homers and 47 RBI in 135 games last season.

Originally selected by San Diego in the 13th round of the 2001 draft, Bartlett has a career .281 batting average with 29 home runs, 129 doubles, 23 triples, 242 RBI, 363 runs scored and 100 stolen bases in 721 career games over parts of seven major league seasons.

Bartlett was traded by the Padres to the Minnesota Twins on July 12, 2002, for outfielder-first baseman Brian Buchanan. At the time, Bartlett was playing for Single-A Lake Elsinore.

"I don't know much about that trade," said Bartlett. "I know the Padres had just drafted Khalil Greene."

A right-handed hitter, Bartlett set career highs in 2009 by hitting a Tampa Bay-record .320 with 14 home runs, 66 RBI, 90 runs scored and 30 stolen bases in 500 at-bats.

"I had a feeling it would work out," Bartlett said of the trade that started during the Winter Meetings but required nine days to complete. "The last nine days have been pretty hectic."

The original trade was reported to be Bartlett in exchange for Ramos and Russell. Why it took more than a week to complete and was expanded to include minor league prospects Gomes and Figueroa plus the player to be named later coming from Tampa Bay was not detailed.

Hudson hit .268 for Minnesota last season with six homers and 37 RBI in 126 games. Hudson, who had a .291 average in four National League seasons with Arizona (2006-2008) and the Dodgers (2009) is a four-time Gold Glove winner.

Hudson told Sirius XM radio that there were five teams bidding for his services but that the Padres would probably sign him.

"The way things are looking, probably end up going to San Diego. That's a great place. Great atmosphere. God Bless San Diego with that unbelievable weather. An unbelievable ballpark, great city, beautiful city. Got the beaches right there so a lot of things for the family and the kids to do. It's definitely a great place."

The Bartlett-Hudson tandem in the middle infield would fill two of the four holes the Padres had on their roster, but eats up much of the projected money Hoyer had to spend this of-season.

The Padres would still need to find a first baseman to fill the void left by the Adrian Gonzalez trade and a backup catcher.

Ramos, 26, was the 35th overall choice by the Padres in the 2005 draft. He made 14 relief appearances for the Padres in 2010, going 0-1 with an 11.88 earned run average. With Triple-A Portland he went 6-7 with a 3.28 ERA.

Russell, 27, made 12 relief appearances in his second season with San Diego in 2010. He posted a 4.02 ERA. With Portland he went 4-9 with a 4.88 ERA. The right-hander was acquired by San Diego in the five-player trade on July 31, 2009 that sent right-handed pitcher Jake Peavy to the Chicago White Sox.

Gomes, 26, went 7-2 with a 1.87 ERA with 93 strikeouts in 72 1/2 innings over 51 relief appearances for Double-A San Antonio in 2010. Gomes was the Padres 17th-round pick in the 2007 draft.

Figueroa, 23, spent the 2010 season with Single-A Lake Elsinore and hit .303 in 482 at-bats with four home runs, 25 doubles, three triples, 66 RBI, 88 runs scored, 81 walks and 26 stolen bases. The left-handed-hitting infielder originally signed with San Diego as a sixth-round selection in the 2008 draft.

Attached Files:

4. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Overall pretty good trade and signing, just not thrilled that Gomes was added to the Bartlett deal. Now they need to sign a first baseman like Glaus or Lee. Lee is a better defensive fielder so I would probably lean that direction.

5. dweston

dweston Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    yours
    Either one would be huge for the Padres, but I just don't see that hapening.

6. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    That would be nice...hopefully its Lee (former Padres #1 draft pick). :D

Pads 2010 lineup so far

Maybin CF
    O Hudson 2b
    Venable / Denorfia RF
    Derrek Lee 1b <---maybe
    Ludwick LF
    Headley 3B
    Hundley C
    Bartlett SS
    Latos P

7. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    The Padres on Tuesday acquired catcher Rob Johnson from Seattle for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Johnson, 28, is a career .200 hitter in 470 major league at-bats over parts of four seasons (2007-2010). He will back up Nick Hundley.

The list of free-agent catchers wasn't filled with stars, either: Gregg Zaun, Josh Bard and Jason LaRue.

8. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    The San Diego Padres are on the verge of signing Brad Hawpe, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Thursday.

Hawpe, who will play first base for the Padres, hit .245 with nine homers and 44 RBIs last season, which he split between the Tampa Bay Rays and Colorado Rockies.

Hawpe was one of the cornerstones on the Rockies' 2007 NL championship team and a first-time All-Star last season.

Brad Hawpe Stats, News, Photos - Tampa Bay Rays - ESPN

9. rivertake

rivertake Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    LOBSTER
    Boat:
    CATCHER
    I like the way Hoyer works
    Limited budget, but manages to field a competitive team last year,,, we will see this year. I like the moves he has made so far.

Padres have a 40 million dollar payroll. Very hard to compete with the RIDICULOUS spending of so many teams....

As an example. The Red Sox. They will pay Adrian 150 million. The entire Padres team for the next three years won't make that much. I loved watching Adrian play ball here the last few years. He has been a fantastic player and citizen. But, I don't blame the Padres for dealing him to the Red Sox for as much as they could get before he walked.

Players salaries are SILLY!!!!!!

10. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    The San Diego Padres have agreed to terms of a one-year contract with Brad Hawpe to play first base, two people with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Friday.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal is pending Hawpe passing a physical exam.

Hawpe will replace three-time All-Star Adrian Gonzalez, who was traded to the Boston Red Sox earlier this month. Hawpe has mostly been an outfielder in seven big league seasons, with a handful of starts at first base. He was released by Colorado in August and signed by Tampa Bay.

The Padres had to go outside the organization to replace Gonzalez because Anthony Rizzo, one of the prospects obtained from Boston, isn't expected to be ready for perhaps a season.

Kyle Blanks, once considered the heir apparent to Gonzalez, had reconstructive surgery on his right elbow in late July and is expected to be sidelined until perhaps midseason. Before he got hurt, Blanks had been moved to left field to give him playing time.

Hawpe hit a combined .245 with nine homers and 44 RBIs last year. He was an All-Star in 2009 with Colorado, hitting .285 with 23 homers and 86 RBIs.

Signing Hawpe is expected to be the last major offseason move by the Padres, who surprisingly won 90 games last season before missing the playoffs with a final-day loss at eventual World Series champion San Francisco.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Attached Files:

11. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Kevin Towers deserves the bulk of the credit for assembling last years team imo...That being said, I did like the Ludwick and Tejada moves...

12. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Still not thrilled with the Padres situation at 1 base and backup catcher. A .200 just doesn't do it for me. Hawpe is like putting Scott Hairston at 1 base, okay player but nothing to get excited about. Padres need to get off their butts and sign a true replacement for Gonzales. Lee or Glaus come to mind. Lee is a good fielding player, but unfortunately a streaky hitter. Glaus is a good hitter but not as good a fielder. Won't be surprised if they sign veteran Dimetrus Young to play 1st at this rate. Sorry but Padre ownership is a joke. No way payroll should be 2nd lowest in the majors. If you want to replace Gonzales bat there is on bat that is as good and that is Manny Ramirez and he would probably come at a significant discount. I know I know, I also don't like the behavior. I like Hoyer, but he is doing a pretty good job of getting rid of what made him succesfull last year (relief pitching). This is the one area Kevin Towers excelled. No track record that Hoyer can do the same. Padres should of found a way to pay Gonzales 15 million last year and 15 this year and signed him for 2 more years at 15 million. No way he would have done that now but a year ago, it would of made good business sense to do it on his part. Was paid 6 million last year and 10 million this year. No way the Padres could afford 25 million with this group of penny pinching individuals but sometimes you need to be creative.......
    Jimmy

13. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Yeah I was hoping they would get Lee too...I doubt that happens now. As far as trading their relief pitchers...nothing significant Jimmy. I like the additions of Bratlett and Hudson. I think they are stronger up the middle now than before. I want them to add another starting pitcher like a Garland type but who knows. Apparently one of the guys they got in the Agon trade may be ready to play 1B next year mid year. Given what Hoyer has to deal (little $$), I think he's doing a good job. I expect the Pads to be competitive this coming year, but after that who knows...they can do ok but maybe not so good. We shall see.

14. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Five Padres eligible for salary arbitration received good news Tuesday.

For closer Heath Bell, it was a double dose.

The Padres reached single-season contract agreements for 2011 with all five -- right-handed pitchers Mike Adams and Tim Stauffer, outfielder Ryan Ludwick and third baseman Chase Headley in addition to Bell.

But Bell's contract came with a commitment from the Padres to discuss a multi-year extension during spring training.

"We are open to discussing a multi-year contract with Heath," Padres general manager Jed Hoyer said after completing negotiations with the five remaining Padres eligible for arbitration.

The Padres had earlier signed shortstop Jason Bartlett to a two-year contract worth $11.5 million and outfielder Chris Denorfia to a single-season contract worth $800,000.

Bell will make $7.5 million this season while Ludwick will make $6.775 million. Both are eligible for free agency after the 2011 season.

Adams will make $2.535 million, Headley $2.325 million and Stauffer $1.075 million. Adams is in the second of three possible years of being eligible for salary arbitration. Stauffer and Headley were eligible for the first time, the third baseman as a "Super Two" player.

"I'm happy all the way around knowing that everyone has an agreement," said Bell of the mass agreements completed just ahead of Tuesday's deadline for players and teams to exchange contract figures.

"I'm very happy with the agreement I have for 2011 and doubly happy that the Padres made the offer to my agent (Sam Levinson) to sit down during spring training and discuss a long-term contract.

"They know that is what I want, but it means a lot to me that they would initiate the idea to talk during spring training. I'm ecstatic. I don't know how I couldn't like this. It's great all the way around.

Article --> Padres reach deals with five arbitration-eligible players - SignOnSanDiego.com

15. Simon Bon Bowery

Simon Bon Bowery Lizard Fish Hippie

Name:
    Simon
    Boat:
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    Spring training starts in less than a month.:boobies:

Go Padres.............................

16. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Maybe I am in the minority, but even getting rid of Adrian, I bet they'll still be okay.....

17. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    That would be nice Sean.

18. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Of course, my Red Sox acquiring Adrian should help them out too..... :D

19. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    I wish Adrian the best and think he will do well there.

20. hotrod

hotrod El Capitan

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Padres finalize agreements with Cantu, Burke...lets home Cantu can help out this team...he may be a real surprise.

The Padres on Wednesday officially announced the signing of infielder Jorge Cantu to a one-year contract at $850,000 and also agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Greg Burke on a minor league contract.

The 28-year-old Cantu, of Reynosa, Mexico, split the 2010 season between the Florida Marlins and Texas Rangers, hitting a combined .256 (121-for-472) with 11 home runs, 29 doubles, 56 RBI and 50 runs scored in 127 games played.

In each of the previous two seasons with the Marlins, Cantu drove in at least 95 runs and set a career-high of 29 home runs in 2008. The right-handed hitter represented Mexico in the World Baseball Classic in 2006 and 2009.

Burke, 28, spent the entire 2010 season with Triple-A Portland, going 2-2 with a 5.68 ERA. He made his Major League debut in 2009 for the Padres and went 3-3 with a 4.14 ERA over 48 appearances that season.