Offshore Paddy Poaching

PENN
Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
It does look like he's on the other side of "your" paddy....
Haha when I did I say it was my paddy? I said the googan rolled up, in and on without even asking. If I can find a paddy with no tower I'm sure your buddies priceless can do the same unless they're just lazy.

Happened to me today again , but worse.
We found a paddy, line shy fish it seemed and like unknown fisherman described we had to chum hard, long soak and chill.
We finally get 1 yft hanging, I got short bit, here comes the school behind the boat through the chumline, and what happens next an IDIOT charges the kelp within 5 feet, starts throwing iron and that was that. All that for one fish. We chased tons of bird schools today, most kelps were dry and finally got some to go.

But lemme guess "Soviet bear" not my paddy and the idiot was entitled cuz it's not my ocean.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I voted lame because you say mean things. Be a little nicer please. I'm being totally honest about being new to this site and learning the fishing "unsaid rules". Yes, I now know to radio the boat and ask if I can fish his Paddy. I appreciate the tips people give me, and apologize for the all the past times I pulled up to a paddy and didn't radio the guy already fishing there. I just didn't know about channel 72. I'm guessing a lot of other people out there don't know either, but they will learn.

Wait a minute...... you really thought I said mean things in the post of mine where you voted lame....... really??? Wow, I'm having serious troubles finding where I was being mean...... I actually go out of my way to do the opposite in most cases here on BD. So Im just a little curious...... just what was it that struck you as being mean? LOL..... im being serious here.

You asked for help and want explanations, but then vote lame when someone tries to help??

Not trying to be mean, but I think you might be a little to sensitive right now....... if you stick around you're gonna have to toughen up that hide a little ;) I gotta say though, any boater who decides to start taking their boat out in the open waters needs to at the very least have a little common knowledge of some pretty basic things before that first venture out. Knowing that channel 72 is pretty much the go to channel is something you should have known..... no excuses there at all..... it's really simple to find all this out, especially now in this age of internet.

Ok, i'm leaving it at that...... hope you don't think I'm a meanie now, cause i'm really not LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Pretty well said. Couldn't have said it any better. But Yes, I do have my own teaching methods to this scenario.

Either a) I will figure 8 the paddy once an idiot comes charging in at 15-20 kts.

B) Get close to the paddy and rev my engine in neutral.

C) hook the kelp with a jig and bring it to my boat to get my jig off.

It worked for me Sunday and eventually the googins understood to hail me on 72 first before fucking the bite up.

So I will continue this method.

why not just drive away and go find another one?

I realize how frustrating it gets......but, if you nuke the paddy.......the poachers will not have anything to keep them occupied while you go find fresh turf.

I get it tho......wanted to do the same a few times for "repeat offenders". :D

Upvote 0

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
Well said Captain Unknown. And let's extrapolate your theory to an open ocean plunker bite like what's been going on lately. Often it takes just as much time and patience to get the school of tuna to come up to the boat and finally get on the chew. Such was the case yesterday as I fished the Coronado Canyon. Got a good chum line going and finally got the fish to come up the chum and start to bite. It was a slow and finicky bite, not at all wide open, and we'd worked pretty hard to get it going. Along comes a large sportfisher (yes, with his dock bumpers hanging down) and proceeds to troll right across our stern, all the while with his crew watching as I was bendo on a fish. That was the last fish we hung from that area as his path was directly across our chum line and the school and effectively pushed the fish down. What was lacking on this skippers part was a bit of courtesy and patience. As someone up thread mentioned, it boils down to respect.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
If you truly believe in Banana Voodoo, as do I, then why would you yourself be carrying them?

The banana deal is bullshit, we caught 300 Albacore in an hour on Pac Star at the
dumper one time, filled the holds and done. Then I had 2 bananas in my backpack.LOL

Many 2=7 day trips I been on bananas in the fruit bowl on the counter all trip! YAWN..

Scott=Capt on Condor eats bananas in the wheelhouse all day. No bigge! LOL LOL
We catch a gazillion fish on that boat. You decide! Don't bother me a bit!

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
Along comes a large sportfisher (yes, with his dock bumpers hanging down) and proceeds to troll right across our stern, all the while with his crew watching as I was bendo on a fish. That was the last fish we hung from that area as his path was directly across our chum line and the school and effectively pushed the fish down. What was lacking on this skippers part was a bit of courtesy and patience. As someone up thread mentioned, it boils down to respect.

We all need to start taking pics and calling out these idiots on BD.

A bit of shaming may be what it takes.

Upvote 0

Dr Jekyl

Skipper
Jan 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Sean
Boat
Whaler Outrage 190 Aimee's Outrage
The Impulse out of dana landing had no shame in coming in on our freshly found paddy after we boated only one yellowfin and tried our best to wave them off. It was just inside and above the 226 yesterday. They dumped a scoop of bait and drifted away with all rods bent and the whole school under their boat. With a small bait tank we could not compete with that amount of chum. No more bites for us.

They probably limited out. Told us to leave when we tried to fish next to them. Guess that's how the "professionals" treat the small privates these days.

Was thinking about chartering them for a group of six from work. I'm definitely going to find a better operation after this experience.

Reactions: Short Bite
Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
The Impulse out of dana landing had no shame in coming in on our freshly found paddy after we boated only one yellowfin and tried our best to wave them off. It was just inside and above the 226 yesterday. They dumped a scoop of bait and drifted away with all rods bent and the whole school under their boat. With a small bait tank we could not compete with that amount of chum. No more bites for us.

They probably limited out. Told us to leave when we tried to fish next to them. Guess that's how the "professionals" treat the small privates these days.

Was thinking about chartering them for a group of six from work. I'm definitely going to find a better operation after this experience.

Thanks for calling them out I'll be sure and poach their paddy if I see them

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro

Good to know how to handle these yellowfin. I've heard other stories where the boat becomes the paddy. Must keep chumming.

Upvote 0

BluePabst

Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Name
Phil
Boat
Bertram 30

That certainly sucks!! But sounds like you missed out on a hell of an opportunity. :(

Upvote 0

gmorris

Aug 17, 2006
San Diego
Name
Greg
Boat
between boats right now
The banana deal is bullshit, we caught 300 Albacore in an hour on Pac Star at the
dumper one time, filled the holds and done. Then I had 2 bananas in my backpack.LOL

Many 2=7 day trips I been on bananas in the fruit bowl on the counter all trip! YAWN..

Scott=Capt on Condor eats bananas in the wheelhouse all day. No bigge! LOL LOL
We catch a gazillion fish on that boat. You decide! Don't bother me a bit!
Yep...The only thing worse than superstitions on a boat is superstitious people.

Upvote 0

gmorris

Aug 17, 2006
San Diego
Name
Greg
Boat
between boats right now

They are not the only ones that do this. I've been pushed off "MY" bite/paddy more times than I care to remember by the fleet whether I was 1.5 miles offshore or 150 miles. The captains try to keep their distance but there's always a few knuckleheads that like to test their iron launching skills towards our boat. Just keep fishing and try to hang a smile on your face.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
Party boats are PROFESSIONAL POACHERS, I see it twice a week.

Upvote 0

Markus

Almost A Member
Apr 7, 2004
Cardiff
Name
Markus Medk
Boat
New Lo-An
I have a question for anyone who might know about setting up a drift on a paddy. Why do most sport boats set up just off the downwind side of the paddy and then let the boat drift away? This is pretty consistent with all boats I have been on.

I am not saying it is wrong or anything like that, just most PB will set the boat up wind and to one side of the paddy, then drift by. Sporties pull up just downwind, almost on top of the kelp and then drift away. Maybe it's because sporties chum and so it really doesn't matter where they are in relation to the paddy, so long as they get fish to follow the chum line.

I will generally try to set up upwind of the kelp, but more often than not we have a contingent of very impatient anglers that cast their bait off the downwind side as we are sliding to stop. If this happens we end up with a giant tangled mess in our downwind corner and I switch to setting up downwind of the kelp and relying on chum to keep the fish near us.

If you can control yourself, drifting from the upwind side can definitely be more productive.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
It is also important to know how your boat, or whatever boat you are on, drifts. My boat drifts bow first in anything but a raging wind.....which is good.....I think. I get way upswell, and off to one side or the other, turn the boat back towards the paddy, and shut down.....THEN let the baits go.

most sporties I have been on drift sideways, likely due to the large "house" acting like a sail. It is IMPORTANT to listen to the skipper, as they almost always get on the PA and tell the anglers which side to fish from.......I hate trying to tell others what to do on boats other than mine, but this is one time where I will, on a sportboat, tell someone that they are fishing the wrong side of the boat. I love it when I get the "standing my ground" look. LOL (that's when I go to the bow). :D

Upvote 0

jerryG

jerryg
Jun 5, 2004
LA
Name
jerry
Boat
friends with boats
It is IMPORTANT to listen to the skipper, as they almost always get on the PA and tell the anglers which side to fish from.......I hate trying to tell others what to do on boats other than mine, but this is one time where I will, on a sportboat, tell someone that they are fishing the wrong side of the boat. I love it when I get the "standing my ground" look. LOL (that's when I go to the bow). :D

Might be a good idea to install a PA on your boat with a loud ass speaker horn so when boats pull up you can get on the horn and depending on the circumstances you can guide them in, warn them off, or raise hell. When you call them on the radio you might not get them or they might just ignore you.. With the PA at least with you will be heard. If they choose to listen or not is another story but if you yell at them long enough with the volume turned up they are forced to hear what you have to say and maybe next time they will have a clue but I doubt it. At least they will know what they are in for if they try to pull up on your boat again...

Upvote 0

Mark66

Jul 22, 2004
NCSD
Name
Mark
Boat
27' Cat
We all need to start taking pics and calling out these idiots on BD.

A bit of shaming may be what it takes.

Yesterday "That Guy" and his three friends cruised right by us, pulled up 25' from the paddy and two divers jumped in and shut the bite down. Nothing against spearo's, they had rod's on top as well. Just plain chickenshit fishing. Hailed them on the radio, asked that they not jump in...This was a silver/blue boat with four dudes on it. There were plenty of fish for everyone and until then, wide open fishing. Hope you see this, you f'n'g tools.
fng tools.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Yesterday "That Guy" and his three friends cruised right by us, pulled up 25' from the paddy and two divers jumped in and shut the bite down. Nothing against spearo's, they had rod's on top as well. Just plain chickenshit fishing. Hailed them on the radio, asked that they not jump in...This was a silver/blue boat with four dudes on it. There were plenty of fish for everyone and until then wide open fishing. Hope you see this, you f'n'g tools.View attachment 532549
perfect time to start chumming fish gut's pay back A bitch' the big problem with this world is you can't teach stupid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
Yesterday "That Guy" and his three friends cruised right by us, pulled up 25' from the paddy and two divers jumped in and shut the bite down. Nothing against spearo's, they had rod's on top as well. Just plain chickenshit fishing. Hailed them on the radio, asked that they not jump in...This was a silver/blue boat with four dudes on it. There were plenty of fish for everyone and until then wide open fishing. Hope you see this, you f'n'g tools.View attachment 532549

I HATE DIVERS !

Reactions: oceanjake
Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
I had live bait out as the tuna were surfacing. A boat was coming in fast and I motioned them to slow down. They parked their boat directly over my bait.

Upvote 0

bentbaitstick

Sep 11, 2012
Socal
Name
Charley Tabbara
Boat
Boat
Same thing happened to me and my friends last Sunday. Fishing a Paddy. My rod goes bendo yellowtail hits the deck and a boat comes out of nowhere. 10 ft from paddy and 4 divers jump in. Shut it down quick. There was another boat there as well fishing paddy with us who gave the boat shit.

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro
Same thing happened to me and my friends last Sunday. Fishing a Paddy. My rod goes bendo yellowtail hits the deck and a boat comes out of nowhere. 10 ft from paddy and 4 divers jump in. Shut it down quick. There was another boat there as well fishing paddy with us who gave the boat shit.

Divers seem to have their own attitude. They just don't care. I hooked one once. He immediately came to the surface and screamed "My Ear". I thought he said "Over Here".

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Boat
19 SeaPro

Describe the boat. Was it a Wellcraft ?

Upvote 0