Antares

The popcorn police
Jul 3, 2009
San Diego/Maui
Name
Drew
Boat
29'
and hopefully it's not some clueless dad that's just bought a boat and has his family on the boat and you throw an iron that puts someone's eye out and of course he's close enough to get your boat numbers, and he's got an emergency so maybe he calls the Coast Guard for an emergency helo ride and the next thing you know you've got some sort of nautical assault charge against you and a civil case on land that is going to take your house and boat by the time it's all done and everyone you know will have read about how some brash and arrogant fisherman (and don't forget the U/T will name you and your boat) that put out a youngster's eye so that he will never play little league again because Mr. (insert your name) thought that it was his own personal paddy out in the middle of the ocean and that he was entitled to cause someone injury in the process of defending it and oh, he already had fish on board ....

just sayin' .... think before you "pop the top".

Thankfully i am not the only one that thinks throwing irons at other boats extremely stupid. I dont care if some ass cuts your lures off, parks on your paddy does 360 and blends it to pieces. That in no way gives you the right to toss irons at them. Please leave your ridiculous overreaction at home.

I am in no way saying let it go but you cant fix stupid with more stupid. Pull up next them let them know how uncool that is (refrain from yelling). If there are unapologetic take a few pics post them here so every can see that this guy is an ass. On the way out feel free to use you best language you got. And if you absolute have to throw something at them try stink bombs or eggs. Please use something that will not hurt any one.

Thanks

tinkerman

tinkerman
Jun 14, 2010
Lake Forest,California,USA
Name
Erik
Boat
21' Polar/Scotty's Mistress
Dam I hope all boaters read and head your advice. I'm happy to share with other considerate fishers and do my very best to not interfere with others. I wish we could just torpedo the boobs that tear in and put the fish down. Inconsiderate and selfish!

flying bait

Sep 28, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Trophy 2352
Etiquette is good to know, but some of you are a bit of tight ass. I agree on not to drive into the paddy and shut off the bite, and keeping your distance, etc... But, wanting everyone to just leave "YOUR" paddy alone just because you got there first?! I think that's where you just cross the line. Now, throwing iron?!? Grow up!!

Fshn-4-Fun

Aug 12, 2017
Jurupa Valley
Name
Damian
Boat
190 Sea Ray
This thread is super helpful for newbies like myself. Thanks for the info! I posted a similar question on someone's thread as they were complaining about the bite being turned off... and got no response. Thought maybe they just simply didn't care about etiquette and only about bitching. I definitely don't want to be the guy to be blamed! All good info thanks.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
War Story:
Fishing a small charter off of Los Barriles,,, we spot a huge floating tree, ( Mex. Kelp Patty) must have had a 3-4ft diameter trunk. Probably 80ft long with a hugh root base protruding from the water. We commence to catch several small sharks and a couple of small Dorado within 50 ft. of the tree. I then see three other small cruisers approaching us and asked the captain what was going on. As you can guess he calls in every other charter within striking distance to our hot spot. I'm on a slow boil, the captain sees the steam rolling of the top of my head and says to me... with a smile..."not to worry senor". He then proceeds to hook up a couple of small 2 lb bonita we had caught earlier and starts trolling them about 200 yds from the floating tree while all three of the other charters are glued to the tree. Within 15 min we hook into a 60lb dorado, landed it and 20 min later we hook into a 252lb Blue Marlin. which we boat 45 min later. Both fish caught trolling around that floating tree 200 yds out from it.
He schooled me good that day on the habits of larger predators, telling me they usually are a good distance from floating debris that hold smaller prey waiting for the structure to collect tasty targets for lunch.

Learned a lot that day.
Walt

Last edited:
Reactions: SD2600

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
When I am on a paddie (and between my scanning sonar, tower and stabilized binos, I find my fair share), I pretty much expect most of the boats that see me stopped to rush over and join the fun. No point getting aggravated about it, and rightly or wrongly, I believe a paddy can be more productive with multiple boats chumming. I do a long drit then reposition myself and start over. Once, when I had the paddy to myself, after a long drift, I relocated to the top only to be told by another boat, that may have found the paddy on its own, that I was stealing their paddy. Even that was more amusing than aggravating. I don't like to share the paddy with spear fishermen. They spear one fish and the bite shuts down. Plus, their divers in the water make me lookout for them. I have never done it, but I do have dreams of slowly circling the paddy, at close range, while dumping my holding tank, if anyone gets too possessive of a paddy I discover.

Reactions: Larry S

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    When I am on a paddie (and between my scanning sonar, tower and stabilized binos, I find my fair share), I pretty much expect most of the boats that see me stopped to rush over and join the fun. No point getting aggravated about it, and rightly or wrongly, I believe a paddy can be more productive with multiple boats chumming. I do a long drit then reposition myself and start over. Once, when I had the paddy to myself, after a long drift, I relocated to the top only to be told by another boat, that may have found the paddy on its own, that I was stealing their paddy. Even that was more amusing than aggravating. I don't like to share the paddy with spear fishermen. They spear one fish and the bite shuts down. Plus, their divers in the water make me lookout for them.
    "I have never done it, but I do have dreams of slowly circling the paddy, at close range, while dumping my holding tank, if anyone gets too possessive of a paddy I discover."

I use to go fishing on a open load boat, in the day's of Cordel Bank's Glory, and a skipper I new. had a spot, where in 2 drifts, you could get 23 limits of Chilie Pepper Rock Cod (slabs), that know one else new the marks. If another open load boat saw him, he would let them get close, and slid off of it, and head for the barn, and as we left, we would watch the other boat circling, never to find it.