Jr.

Winning!
Feb 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Hatteras
Whats everyones technique for packing spectra onto a LARGE spinning reel for tuna?

Thanks everyone!

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
My technique is to get in the car and drive to the tackle shop and have them do it. :D

Not entirely being a smart-ass: its just very hard for me to pack spectra onto a spinning reel by hand, even harder than a conventional. Sometimes its just worth paying for a pro with the right equipment to do it.

loosendrag

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
It's just nearly impossible to keep the proper tension while spooling onto spinning reels. You need a good heavy duty line winder to do that, which can cost at least a couple thousand bucks easy.
Like Brad said above, I would simply bring it to a reputable tackle shop and let them take care of it.

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
I used a donor reel set up with about 8-10 lbs of drag. Luckily line twist on spectra isn’t bad. Once on the boat I let most of the line out while traveling and reel in against the boat’s wake. Packed it down really tight and take all the line twist out. Just make sure you put a nice coat of wax or grease on the spool to help with the corrosion. Cumbersome but it worked.

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
Spool up with a machine. Install spool onto the reel. With drag backed off, bail closed, pull a cast length of line off. Tighten the drag and wind what you pulled off. Gives the rig a reverse twist. This is your starting point. End of the trip, let the line out behind the boat for a bit and wind in.

Reactions: clevel

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Can someone explain the logic behind recommending machine winding braid line onto a spinning reel? Once the braid line is let out while fishing it gets hand wound back in anyway?

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
clevel -- At the tackle store on a winding machine it is easy to properly install braid (or mono, for that matter) in a nice, tight line lay from the spool outwards. This gets you a bit more line onto the reel than the diagonal line lay of the reel does and it avoids line twist. It is a rare situation for a big spinning reel to get completely emptied of line by a fish, usually the bottom third of the line never gets wet. But it is nice to have the extra line for the rare situation where you find yourself fighting above your weight class. And in the store, you are not going to get the spool over-filled, which people do all of the time at home. Plus, if you add a bit of mono as a topshot over the braid, you get the knot tied by someone who will tie it right. And you don't have expensive braid hanging around in partial spools that is not quite enough to put on another reel.

Reactions: clevel

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
Can someone explain the logic behind recommending machine winding braid line onto a spinning reel? Once the braid line is let out while fishing it gets hand wound back in anyway?
If braid line is not spooled under correct tension, line digs into the spool at high drag. (No drag = No fish)

Jr.

Winning!
Feb 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Hatteras
Roger that thanks everyone.....I have one of those old berkley big game winders that I put spectra onto my big reels with. But I might just have a shop hook the spinning reel up for me.....being large and having the bail flipping around as well might be funky for me.

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Roger that thanks everyone.....I have one of those old berkley big game winders that I put spectra onto my big reels with. But I might just have a shop hook the spinning reel up for me.....being large and having the bail flipping around as well might be funky for me.

The places I use to fill spinning reels with spectra only use the spool, not the reel. There are adapters for some line winders that hold the spool. When I have Basil fill my spinners, I just send him the spool and he mails it back full.

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
I also do the donor reel thing set at around 6 pounds of drag. Sometimes a reel will not spool perfect like too much line on top or bottom of spool and needed adjustments add or remove spool washer to even. You’ll never know the line will lay if the line is spooled with a machine.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I used a donor reel set up with about 8-10 lbs of drag. Luckily line twist on spectra isn’t bad. Once on the boat I let most of the line out while traveling and reel in against the boat’s wake. Packed it down really tight and take all the line twist out. Just make sure you put a nice coat of wax or grease on the spool to help with the corrosion. Cumbersome but it worked.
What's a "donor reel set up"?