Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
I think SAC or some other sportfishing group needs to explain what the hell could have happened. What would be the reasons to beach a boat, mechanical failure, why not stop and drop the anchor? Is it 2 srew drive? If he nodded out do not cover it up. Maybe the guy has sleep apnea? He should be tested for his own health. Capt Marcus and Capt Drew, I pray that GOD gives you the strength to get thru this.
SAC to explain what happened?

And I thought BD had lost its sense of humor!

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 4, 2004
California
Name
JB
Boat
Matson Inc.
I think SAC or some other sportfishing group needs to explain what the hell could have happened. What would be the reasons to beach a boat, mechanical failure, why not stop and drop the anchor? Is it 2 srew drive? If he nodded out do not cover it up. Maybe the guy has sleep apnea? He should be tested for his own health. Capt Marcus and Capt Drew, I pray that GOD gives you the strength to get thru this.

double_entendre

Zat is not my tuna
Aug 1, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Bob
Boat
Ho, ho, ho your boat
Good idea.

In the context, I'd suggest Poseidon or Chalchiuhtlicue.

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
Just too clear up some rumors, with actual knowledge of what happened.
1. Andrew wasn’t driving when it happened
2. The coast guard doesn’t require a roving watchmen for any vessels under 65’ length at the water line. Arm chair expert captains, look up your CFRs(the Pacifica is less then 65’)
3. The guy who was driving is a solid dude. Last guy you would expect this too happen too. Clean, professional and hardworking, young up and coming type of dude. And so is Andrew, also the last guy you would expect this too happen too and one of the last people you would want this too happen too. He wasn’t driving during either incident.
4. The entire crew was drug and alcohol tested after this accident as with any incident and are on a random programs before the accident.
5. The drug testing consortium programs are not a joke, and have cleaned up the industry immensely since they’ve been implemented. Any old timers who were around before it was in place can attest to this. Plenty of bad apples have been run out of the industry by a dirty piss test or a refusal to take one.
6. The reason why this was as big of deal as it is because it happened to the Pacifica and was on the news because it was front in center in mission beach. Boats run aground in the Channel Islands all the time, it’s an annual occurrence almost.

Not defending what happened, just kind of love how the internet gives people a forum too say whatever they want, and people treat it as facts.

fish4us

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 21, 2012
Escondido/CA/USA
Name
Susan Sloan
Boat
none
2. The coast guard doesn’t require a roving watchmen for any vessels under 65’ length at the water line. Arm chair expert captains, look up your CFRs(the Pacifica is less then 65’)
3. The guy who was driving is a solid dude. Last guy you would expect this too happen too. Clean, professional and hardworking, young up and coming type of dude. And so is Andrew, also the last guy you would expect this too happen too and one of the last people you would want this too happen too. He wasn’t driving during either incident.
4. The entire crew was drug and alcohol tested after this accident as with any incident and are on a random programs before the accident.
5. The drug testing consortium programs are not a joke, and have cleaned up the industry immensely since they’ve been implemented. Any old timers who were around before it was in place can attest to this. Plenty of bad apples have been run out of the industry by a dirty piss test or a refusal to take one.
6. The reason why this was as big of deal as it is because it happened to the Pacifica and was on the news because it was front in center in mission beach. Boats run aground in the Channel Islands all the time, it’s an annual occurrence almost.

Not defending what happened, just kind of love how the internet gives people a forum too say whatever they want, and people treat it as facts.
1. If you are the captain/owner of the boat you are responsible for everything that goes on on that boat every minute of the day.
2. You would think after Mr. Neff lost his life the bare minimum would just not be enough for you if you were a conscientious guy trying to rehabilitate the reputation of your operation.
3. Obviously this cannot be true because somebody let the boat run a ground.
4. Fantastic ! Since this was only the 10th trip under this owner captain since the incident that cost Mr. Neff his life.
5. It may have cleaned it up partially but there is still a distinct problem throughout the industry and if you’re trying to deny that you are sadly mistaken.
6. The reason that it is a big deal is because 11 trips ago Mr. Neff lost his life under this captain/owner. It has been reported that on the prowler the second captain was asleep. If Andrew Viola was not driving at the time and the second captain was asleep that means nobody was driving ?

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore

This is the second time that Andrew was sleeping when his second slammed into something. Give me a break, A guy lost his life and people were hurt and it's no big deal. Ask Andrew for me why he had no alarms set. This is Bull Shit !
I'm a nobody captian and I have all the alarms set on our boats. Bull Shit

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white

Here's a fact for you.the Pacifica ran aground on the beach.You used the word "professional" and that's ridiculous considering the previous incident and now this one.I wish this guy nothing bad but maybe he can't handle the responsibility of running a party boat ? That first incident would have straightened me out for life.

DEGBTI

Feb 5, 2013
el cajon, ca
Name
dennis
Boat
204 Angler CC
1. If you are the captain/owner of the boat you are responsible for everything that goes on on that boat every minute of the day.
2. You would think after Mr. Neff lost his life the bare minimum would just not be enough for you if you were a conscientious guy trying to rehabilitate the reputation of your operation.
3. Obviously this cannot be true because somebody let the boat run a ground.
4. Fantastic ! Since this was only the 10th trip under this owner captain since the incident that cost Mr. Neff his life.
5. It may have cleaned it up partially but there is still a distinct problem throughout the industry and if you’re trying to deny that you are sadly mistaken.
6. The reason that it is a big deal is because 11 trips ago Mr. Neff lost his life under this captain/owner. It has been reported that on the prowler the second captain was asleep. If Andrew Viola was not driving at the time and the second captain was asleep that means nobody was driving ?
calm down, everyone is fine. Go on with your life.

Ctony.clark

Jun 14, 2012
Carlsbad, Ca, u.s.a.
Name
Tony Clark
Boat
Freedom Boat Club

Indefensible

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Wait a minute, the reason it was a big deal is because while boats run aground all the time this was unfortunately in Mission Beach? Really??

How often do professionally captained sport boats run aground with passengers aboard and is that because Captains fall asleep regularly?

Were they using the radar alarm, the GPS course alarm and the depth finder alarm?

Did they use a watch alarm to help keep the captain awake?

Did they institute some changes so it won’t happen a third time or is this just the way it is - If someone wants to fish with cool dudes they just have to toughen up.

The real reason this is a big deal is because this same owner/captain had an accident like this just a couple operational weeks before and a guy was killed. It’s kind of important these captains stay awake.

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
One more comment on Andy.

He’s just a kid. He’s a very good prospect and he works his ass off. My sense is he would do literally ANYTHING to succeed. He’s the kind of enthusiastic young man who will follow and learn. If he is lost it is because the leaders at the top are failing not him.

When enthusiastic, capable young men can’t seem to succeed, examine the mentors and the management structure before firing the prospect. That’s business leadership 101.

The reason these boats are crashing is a failure of systems not a failure of men. Failure of men is a feature. Systems are how we prevent failures of men from causing avoidable accidents.

Safety systems are the combination of technology, training, attitude, supervision. It is the redundancy of overlapping systems in a web of checks and balances that minimizes the ability of human error to cause an avoidable tragedy. Those systems are 100% lacking. That is why failures of men are causing so many accidents.

3 boats crashing in 24 months all evidently because of gross human incompetence is a failure of systems not just a failure of men.

The capability of an organization to develop prospects like Andrew is also the product of leadership and management systems. A young man like Andrew who can’t seem to get his feet under him is a failure of the top brass who have not given him the tools needed to succeed. Had they provided him these systems like safety manuals and procedures, training regimens, testing protocols to ensure the second knew how to use the equipment and did use it, and instructed him on the need to have a second person in the wheelhouse on watch to keep everyone awake at all times none of these accidents would have happened. Had they taught him how to manage men and build a web is systems around them he would be succeeding right now. Had they recognized their own failure when the first accident happened and rebuilt the training and supervision of Andy with the same vigor he applied to rebuilding Pacifica this second accident would not have happened.

It is Frank’s responsibility to step up here like his predecessor who made it the brand Of the entire fleet to ensure safety of passengers at all times. He is the adult in the room. If Frank excuses this or hides from it that is the industry’s brand. After 4 gross negligence accidents in less than 24 months it is becoming clear that these vessels are unseaworthy as presently managed. Will Frank address it?

Fix the systems. Take Andrew under your wing. See what he is capable of when he has the support of good leadership and management. If he still fails then fire him. My guess is he will do anything you teach him to do and that won’t be necessary.

Throwing a kid under the bus is how people at the top avoid taking responsibility themselves.

Systems. Leadership. Training. Supervision. Redundancy. Prioritize passenger safety. Make that your brand. Tell mothers it’s ok to send their kids fishing again because you’ll take care of them like it was your own.

It’s just good business.

So you keep mentioning Andy, I’ve never heard anyone call the man Andy, if your trying too seem like you know him, get your facts straight never heard anyone call him that.

You keep mentioning Frank Lopreste. As far as I know his association with the prowler and Pacifica is he owns part of the landing they operate out of. He essential owns part of the company that answers the boats phones. Don’t know what your whole theory on management systems and procedures is, and how this was a failure of all that, but the two parties are not that closely related and certainly don’t manage each other.

Save your energy for the deposition room, this isn’t the OJ Simpson trial. The consensus in this court of public opinion is that your an ambulance chasing jackass lawyer too anyone who knows anything

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
So I dont think anything I said was a defense of either event. Love how words can be twisted. Perhaps big deal was to brief of a phrase or the wrong wording, to rephrase news story or 20 pages of comments might be better wording.

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
So you keep mentioning Andy, I’ve never heard anyone call the man Andy, if your trying too seem like you know him, get your facts straight never heard anyone call him that.

You keep mentioning Frank Lopreste. As far as I know his association with the prowler and Pacifica is he owns part of the landing they operate out of. He essential owns part of the company that answers the boats phones. Don’t know what your whole theory on management systems and procedures is, and how this was a failure of all that, but the two parties are not that closely related and certainly don’t manage each other.

Save your energy for the deposition room, this isn’t the OJ Simpson trial. The consensus in this court of public opinion is that your an ambulance chasing jackass lawyer too anyone who knows anything
If you’re the talent surrounding this operation it’s no wonder these accidents keep happening.

Stop before you kill someone else. That’s all I have been saying. Fix this or GTFO.

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
I have no idea about any of this and I’m not going to spew a bunch of conjecture. All i know Is what i posted

Wait a minute, the reason it was a big deal is because while boats run aground all the time this was unfortunately in Mission Beach? Really??

How often do professionally captained sport boats run aground with passengers aboard and is that because Captains fall asleep regularly?

Were they using the radar alarm, the GPS course alarm and the depth finder alarm?

Did they use a watch alarm to help keep the captain awake?

Did they institute some changes so it won’t happen a third time or is this just the way it is - If someone wants to fish with cool dudes they just have to toughen up.

The real reason this is a big deal is because this same owner/captain had an accident like this just a couple operational weeks before and a guy was killed. It’s kind of important these captains stay awake.[/QUOT

Reactions: Cubeye

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes

Thank you for the information. My personal focus, in this post and every other post concerning safety at sea, is not to come to any moral judgment about anybody, but instead to learn from what actually, or conceivably, went wrong in order to run a safer boat myself. I don't know Andy, but for his sake I guess I am glad to hear he was not at the wheel. But someone was and I would really like to know what went wrong and how it could be avoided on my boat. Since you are privy to inside information, could you share whether someone was asleep at the wheel? Did mechanical / electronic equipment failures contribute in any way to the incident? If Andy had it to do over again, what would he do differently?

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
C-Bad
Name
Some guy
Boat
yak
If you’re the talent surrounding this operation it’s no wonder these accidents keep happening.

Stop before you kill someone else. That’s all I have been saying. Fix this or GTFO.
I’m going to stop before this gets ugly. I have zero affiliation with the operation. Actually I went fishing on it one time when it was at a landing that no longer exists. You have no idea who I am or who I am as a person, sorry I’m not jumping on your nuts. I am Bringing too light some actual facts and thoughts with actual knowledge of what going on. I am not defending anyone at all, over and out

Larmo

Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
I’m going to stop before this gets ugly. I have zero affiliation with the operation. Actually I went fishing on it one time when it was at a landing that no longer exists. You have no idea who I am or who I am as a person, sorry I’m not jumping on your nuts. I am Bringing too light some actual facts and thoughts with actual knowledge of what going on. I am not defending anyone at all, over and out
All anyone wants to know is that no one else is going to die or get hurt while paying them to go fishing.

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
Boat Information
Boat Pacifica
Owner(s) Andrew Viola, Drew Card and Markus Medak
Skippers(s) Andrew Viola
Dimensions 65 × 23
Year Built 1978
Bunks 38
Max Load 32
Phone Number

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
I haven’t read all 22 pages of this thread but most Overnight Operations have what’s known as a “Night Driver” who’s sole responsibility is to drive at night. Obviously, he fell asleep and didn’t have his “watch alarm” on. Unacceptable on any condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.