PENN

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
Left Seaforth with Andrew and his crew Friday at about 2100 hrs. Solid. Started marking at 0300 on Sat. During the entire day, I hooked up three times. One was lost quick. One lost after a min or two. The third I fought for 35 mins and chewed my line. I don’t remember the first one but the second and third fish were good size. Deckhand estimates 100# on the third. Using jig stick, torium 20 and 60# flouro. Almost spooled twice. They were eating colt snipers and flat falls, Mainly pink and blue snipers (100+). BUT, they were destroying stock treble hooks. Better to toss that treble and put a 6 or 7/0 hook with a slightly heavier split ring. Several bent treble hooks

I didn’t catch anything else all day. I even skipped dinner and stayed on the rail until midnight. Went to bed. There were prob 10-15 BFT ranging from 25-150 with one pushing 200, and a bunch of rat YT

At about 0130 as we’re driving in, captain finds a school. Four deck hands drop lines and it was on. One of them yells down to the bunk room at about 0150 “IT’S WIDE OPEN, GET UP HERE”. I struggle to open my eyes and put my boots on. I get up there, there’s two other guys fishing and two others followed me up. At least three guys were fighting fish. I re-rigged a flat fall and after third drop, boom. Landed a 25 lb BFT. I tried for another 20 mins and they called it

between the crew and the 5-6 of us, we boated about 20 more BFT ranging from 20-60 lbs. that half hour at 0200 hrs made the trip glorious. At one point, one guy (Danny) was on, a deckhand was on but had to gaf another fish. Danny was holding two rods, both hooked up to BFT. It’s that kind of epic mayhem that keeps me going back.

C8C13AE1-0ECF-4E11-B8F7-4AA4E621AB3A.jpeg

87606CE9-BF37-4C11-9615-BFFB54A49E22.jpeg

89FB3D72-23C4-474E-8E01-4AEDFF4167CA.jpeg

D8D81140-7D3E-4A10-A842-F53A20C58CF1.jpeg

A4D74FF5-9EEE-4B25-A1BE-09D432B4D835.jpeg

98B6D0D4-B086-4A26-8F8D-A3C608F71E0B.jpeg

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
Forgot to add, I had changed my flatfalls to split rings with a single large hook. Like an 8/0. With a slightly smaller hook/swivel/ring on the other end (where you tie the line). No bites on that all day, despite others hitting on flat falls with hooks only on bottom. I removed the top hook, got bit by that 0200 school. I definitely think the second hook on top was screwing up the lures presentation in the water. I’ll be running large single hooks. And that 8/0 hook was in the mouth and sticking out of the fish’s eye socket. It tore him up and was way better than any other bite I’ve gotten

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I've tested various hook setups on flat fall and knife jigs in my deep pool, and the only thing that makes any visible difference to the jig action is to put a swivel on the top. It muffles the lures' action. I use a swivel at the top of the three foot fluoro leader sometimes, I can't see any difference in the lure action when a swivel is at least three feet away. Or perhaps you mean that you have the top hook connected to a swivel, but that you are tying the line to a ring. That works fine.

Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    Had a similar trip on the Pacifica 5/16. Great boat, seemed like there was heavier emphasis on making customers happy.

Similarly, flatfalls at night and blue/pink coltsnipers were more effective during the day. 40-60lb grade fish. Last stop before midnight we limited out on smaller grade fish before handing spot off to another boat.

Deckhands were top notch and actively engaged didn’t have to ask for tackle/rigging. Hooked me up with a crimped heavy leader no charge.

The boat landed a few demon fish that it wouldn’t have without the deckhands sorting things out quickly.

Spiked, gilled, and gutted my fish over 40lbs shortly after, didn’t have to ask. Was happy with the fillet job as well. Forgot the exact charge but it was cheap. 80lbs of fish gilled and gutted came out to 48 lbs of bagged meat.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT and info. I've heard several say just the two hooks on the bottom of flatfalls/knife jigs got bit better....but I guess it's
    still up to the damn finicky Bluefin what they bite. LOL I also say "ONE be MoBetta than NONE" anyday. LET"S EAT! LOL

Reactions: kevine001
    Upvote 0

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Name
    KEVIN ENG
    Boat
    Mission Belle
    Only issue I’ve heard of and seen once was BFT chewing thru the braid holding the stock hooks on flat falls. I have no doubt they swim better on string. But mine are all re-rigged with larger single hook on split rings and swivel rated above 300 lbs. if you hook a smaller tuna, assuming your line is heavy enough, you can man handle the smaller (sub 80#) with the steel and larger hook. It just sinks deeper. Only way it comes out is ripping half the fish’s face off

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    That was a great post brother....complete with info and picts!! Happy to see you were willing to do "what ever it takes" ....jig wise to get bit. Watching you lure.... adjusting the rigging.... rethinking your setup.... and just shear determination is what it takes sometimes brother. You brought forward some jigging and rigging points for others to consider when they go. Thats sharing for sure. Hats off to you.

Upvote 0

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Name
    KEVIN ENG
    Boat
    Mission Belle
    I've tested various hook setups on flat fall and knife jigs in my deep pool, and the only thing that makes any visible difference to the jig action is to put a swivel on the top. It muffles the lures' action. I use a swivel at the top of the three foot fluoro leader sometimes, I can't see any difference in the lure action when a swivel is at least three feet away. Or perhaps you mean that you have the top hook connected to a swivel, but that you are tying the line to a ring. That works fine.
    I had the top hook attached to split ring, then swivel, and another split ring to the top of the lure, where you tie your line to. I was not using the premade leaders. I ran my 100# and tied it to the lure. Yeah, I know, but so far my knots have held.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0