PENN

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Went 60 miles due west towards Butterfly bank and one of the guys got into a BFT estimated @ 100lbs or so and after a 45min fight, the fish bit through 60lb mono on rental gear.

After spending the morning there without any takers, we made a long run with the AA to a spot 35 miles offshore due west of Coronado where the entire fleet was. After a couple of rat YT’s we got on our first school that cooperated around 3pm. One school netted 8 BFT where they hit everything (fly line, flat fall, colt sniper, etc.) and mine came on the sinker rig on 40lb flouro.

No action after that so I hit the sack @ 10pm. Then at 3am, I awoke to a large thump of a 50lb BFT hitting the deck, so I scrambled on deck swiftly. It was the last hurrah for appx 8 boats and we boated another 21 fish to bring the final tally to 29. We fished right in front of the Indy & Tomahawk.

it was first trip on the Pacifica and I must say it is a solid operation. Got to meet Captain Andrew and his brother Sandro who is now serving as the 2nd captain. Cool to see the brothers working well with each other. Food was great, and the deckies were totally cool and worked their tails off.

Take a gander at the bunk layout. The bunks on the outer edge (1-6 & 23-28) are double wide and have a ton of space. Wish I knew this beforehand.

Sorry, no action pics but here is the trip’s total haul. 5-Star processing was a 2 hour turnaround time, and they did a fabulous job. Had a blast with my buddy, met a bunch of great guys, and went home with twin BFTs that weighed 20lbs each.

FBBC71BA-1C98-44F3-8223-6E081A27108E.jpeg

21B9898A-1771-40AA-81CD-9671AD2E2893.jpeg

8B1A9C0B-C4AC-45A8-8EBB-C27BF1233880.jpeg

67F449B7-9C21-49CA-8D5A-E2024638CBAC.jpeg

Last edited:

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    I was on the condor this Sat, heard everyone going crazy on deck around 3am woke up ran outside and started dropping the 320 gram nomad with 200lb mono. Didnt get bit so i scaled back on the line and jig and got bit on the 130 gram zakana zebra silver/glow with 80lb fluoro. Wasnt the biggest fish but it sure was exhilarating half asleep

3B01C865-FE7E-434F-951D-268090245C6E.jpeg

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    So cool to suddenly hear about these epic moments fishing for BFT :appl:

Yeah witnessed first hand how much of a brotherhood that is the SD fleet.. everyone working together to try an get their clients on the fish.

what I left out earlier was that about half of the guys were first timers, or noobs. Saw a lot of rental gear, jigmasters, small spinning rods, bass rods, and even broken tips.

on my first fish, i got into a pretty nasty tangle on the port/stern corner as only half (or less) of the guys were participating in the tuna shuffle. Sandro (Andrew’s brother) was working his tail off to fix, then some dude comes rushing into the corner with is his spinner then for some unknown reason he thinks it’s a good idea to under hand cast directly into the tangle and managed to spiral wrap his braid right into the mess.. WTF!!! Sandro looks at him right into his eyes as if to say “why’d ya go an do that for!!!”.. zero reaction from the guilty party.. classic. At this point, there was no other option than to cut guys off and I managed to get mine in.

the fact that only half of us really had some experience in doing this and somehow managed to get 29 fish was quite the accomplishment. Not knocking on the guys that never did this before.. since everyone has to learn sometime.. heck I was right there with them not too long ago.

Andrew and the crew covered what seemed like 150 miles of travel, and moved calmly and swiftly throughout the chaos. In short, the crew kicked ass.

At 5am I had a breakfast sandwich that seemed to weigh a pound and a half that was loaded with egg, bacon and cheese in all of its runny goodness. Because of this, I didn’t have an appetite until 3pm, when Nick made me a hot Pastrami sandwich with was just awesome. Dinner was some steak pasta in Alfredo, that I couldn’t partake in because I was so stuffed. My buddy said it wasn’t as good as the lunch offering but Nick did his best to provide a nice meal for the guys that were fishing since 5am. I did sneak a sample in of the loaves of bread that he made from scratch.. it was divine.

Can’t wait for my next trip in June!!

Last edited:

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Yeah, is this normal for every boat to gather together and fish in 1 small area? I suppose it was a code group or something. Pretty wild.
    Well, I have been on many trips where certain boats work together and call each other in on schools. But I have never seen the entire fleet on one school, especially within 300 yards of each other...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
    Aug 26, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Working on it
    I was on the condor this Sat, heard everyone going crazy on deck around 3am woke up ran outside and started dropping the 320 gram nomad with 200lb mono. Didnt get bit so i scaled back on the line and jig and got bit on the 130 gram zakana zebra silver/glow with 80lb fluoro. Wasnt the biggest fish but it sure was exhilarating half asleep

View attachment 1278467
    I was on the liberty i caught mine on the 130 zakana also

Cortes77
    Cortes77
    Did you replace the stock treble with a inline single?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Early season the good numbers are good for everyone....in August there'd be cussin

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

davo_72

Enthusiast
    Feb 3, 2020
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Davis
    Boat
    None
    I was on that same trip!

Can't emphasize enough how good of a captain/crew this boat has. Captain Andrew, Second Captain Lorn & Sandro, Reilly on deck with Ryan and Brandon (who had a super cool nickname that's eluding me right now). Really good people. They are very accommodating and helpful to all anglers, novice and experienced alike - taking time to explain simple methods/techniques to new anglers and providing useful tips to experienced anglers. They promote safety and have incredible customer service while working their asses off trying to find and land fish. Make you feel right at home.

We departed at about 8:45P after they had loaded up on bait for us. Plan was to search the area the full day boats had been finding fish (20-30mi due west) the first night to see if there was volume we felt comfortable we could make a day out of for Saturday. If we did not see good volume we'd head out to where the long range fleet had been fishing (butterfly / condom area). Ultimately did not see the volume in the 20-30mi range so decided we'd head out to the butterfly. Weather was really nice on the inside but we were facing larger swells the further out we got. I barely got a wink of sleep the first night due to so much rocking.

First stop was early early AM Saturday where as mentioned only one passenger connected on a larger model, definitely triple digits, which was ultimately lost. We stayed in that same range most of the day marking schools, throwing bait, no reactions. Andrew let us know that we'd be focusing on bluefin and would not be focusing on finding paddys. Ended up stopping on a paddy mid morning for 2 smaller yellowtails (sub 5 lbs), though.

Later in the day, heard the engines ease off and Andrew came on the loudspeaker, "Brail it! Big school here, this could be the right one! 180 ft... 120 ft... get ready they're coming up!" And come up they did. BOIL! BOIL! BOIL! I was able to slide a green 100g sniper back in the middle of the mayhem. Wound as fast as I could and connected! 40lb line made short work of a 17-20lb bluefin. And just as fast as they came up, they were gone. Total tally for the boat at this point was 8 bluefin and 2 yellowtail.

As mentioned earlier in the post it seemed like there were a lot of new anglers on the boat. Drove around the rest of the day for nothing. With this style of fishing it's tough to keep morale high especially stopping so frequently for no bites. Andrew put us on a school just before sundown... said they might not bite right now but we're going to stick it out for an hour or so as sometimes they change their mind once the sun goes down. Said he'd rather have a school under us than try to be on the hunt for another school. That stop ultimately did not end up producing.

Though everyone was in good spirits come dinner time, it was apparent that a majority of passengers thought fishing portion of the trip was over. Also, if you opt in for dinner, you sit down in the galley and are served a three course meal complimented with fresh bread baked by Nick the chef. First round salad, followed by main course, and desert. Absolute class act having the crew serve you dinner while you're sitting down the whole time - never had that happen on any of the 1.5 day boats I'd been on before.

Anyway, after dinner most went to sleep but Andrew said we'd be making an 8 mile run to where some boats had been catching fish on the night bite. Based off the production from the day, I don't think a lot of anglers had high expectations for the night bite. We were woken up a little while later by the lights in the bunk room. GET UP THEYRE BITING, THEYRE BITING! Boy were we wrong... those who felt down about not getting a fish during the day had their whole trip turned around as bluefin from 30 - 60 lbs started hitting the deck... I got up and tried to connect with a flat fall to no avail. Was still super stoked to see everyone elses reactions to boating fish after they thought trip was over and they had been skunked. Really cool to see the fleet working together seen in the photos in earlier postings on the thread.

Trip ended with Andrew coming on the loud speaker saying "haven't seen the fish swim through in a while, I'm going to call it. We gotta get out of here before this 1.5 day trip turns into an 18 day. We'll cruise through the zone for a little and stop again if we see something we like but we really need to get headed back"

Overall would absolutely recommend this boat. Hard working crew and fishy boat that wants to get you on fish just as much as you want to get fish.

IMG_9083.jpg
    IMG_9084.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

IMG_9082.jpg

Reactions: jsl and chilidip
    Upvote 0

TJBertram

Jul 25, 2005
    Tijuana, Mex.
    Name
    Dodi
    Boat
    50 Bertram Conquistadora
    Pics taken from the Indy during the night while in the middle of the fleet
    Here's what the Indy looked like from the RR3 that night....That last run was nuts. I was half asleep and when I came out where zooming past the stern of the American Angler at what seemed no more than 30 ft. away. I managed to catch a 46 pounder on a 130g flat-fall with 50lb and a heavy flouro leader.
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.02.45 PM.png

Upvote 0