PENN

SDSpriggs25

Jun 8, 2020
San Diego
Name
jeff spriggs
Boat
none
Just got back home from the BFT trip down south. Left the dock around 830pm and motored south. No stops or anything over the night and got up from my bunk about 530. You could see land to the east, so we were fairly close to Ensenda? Kept working south and could see the Polaris Supreme most of the morning. The BFT were no where to be seen. Seemed like we continued to work south, then southwest, then headed back into the wind/swell. Stopped on a couple paddies and pulled 3-5 YT per, with a couple decent grade (8-12#). Stopped on a paddy full of rats and loaded the boat after 3 passes.

Finally marked some BFT around 2-230 and boat hooked 1-2. One hit the deck, good grade at 50-60#. Continued to move/mark/drop and boat scratched 1-2 more. Also good grade at 60-80#. Headed towards dusk and could see the PS to the north with the kite out. Found a decent school that put the last 3 on the deck. Best was around 100#. Worked the sk and the sinker back and forth to alternate. Got one tap on the SK, but nothing else. Got dark, found one more school, no bites and started heading north at 830pm. Got back to dock at 630. Scratched a couple YT, so didn't go home empty. We finished with 5, biggest at 100ish. 3 fish landed on knife jig, other 2 on sinker.

Will be interesting to see how the fleet does this weekend. Ton of boats headed out. Hope this helps!

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Just got back home from the BFT trip down south. Left the dock around 830pm and motored south. No stops or anything over the night and got up from my bunk about 530. You could see land to the east, so we were fairly close to Ensenda? Kept working south and could see the Polaris Supreme most of the morning. The BFT were no where to be seen. Seemed like we continued to work south, then southwest, then headed back into the wind/swell. Stopped on a couple paddies and pulled 3-5 YT per, with a couple decent grade (8-12#). Stopped on a paddy full of rats and loaded the boat after 3 passes.

Finally marked some BFT around 2-230 and boat hooked 1-2. One hit the deck, good grade at 50-60#. Continued to move/mark/drop and boat scratched 1-2 more. Also good grade at 60-80#. Headed towards dusk and could see the PS to the north with the kite out. Found a decent school that put the last 3 on the deck. Best was around 100#. Worked the sk and the sinker back and forth to alternate. Got one tap on the SK, but nothing else. Got dark, found one more school, no bites and started heading north at 830pm. Got back to dock at 630. Scratched a couple YT, so didn't go home empty. We finished with 5, biggest at 100ish. 3 fish landed on knife jig, other 2 on sinker.

Will be interesting to see how the fleet does this weekend. Ton of boats headed out. Hope this helps!
    Did you happen to see the color combo that those 3 fish ate on the SK jig?

Upvote 0

TJBertram

Jul 25, 2005
    Tijuana, Mex.
    Name
    Dodi
    Boat
    50 Bertram Conquistadora
    Thanks for the report.
    Man, I got a feeling it's going to bust wide open anytime soon. I'm heading out on muy center console on its first trip to the islands. YT have been MIA last couple of days so we'll see what happens on Sunday...

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    Going out on the Polaris Supreme Monday the 19th. Just hoping the weather and the tuna cooperate. Can’t catch ‘em sitting at home 🐟🎣
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Rambo33

Jul 25, 2018
    California
    Name
    Richard
    Boat
    Deep sea
    dang wanna go out on my first 1.5 maybe tomm on the old glory since my overnighter got canceled.
    Biggest setup I have is 60lbs, wondering if I should rent a big setup just in case?
    Also will deckhands help with crimping 80-100lbs setup? Never done that kind of knots before

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat
    No
    dang wanna go out on my first 1.5 maybe tomm on the old glory since my overnighter got canceled.
    Biggest setup I have is 60lbs, wondering if I should rent a big setup just in case?
    Also will deckhands help with crimping 80-100lbs setup? Never done that kind of knots before
    Deckhands should help tie knots. Most you would be doing is 80lb floro on hook for fly line and sinker rig which isn’t too bad to tie. If doing flat falls I would recommend having the landing pre rig one up for you with a swivel and heavy mono or floro and you tie your braid or mono straight to that swivel.

if they do pre rig for you you could ask them to put a heavy duty split ring or clip to your jig making changing out the flat fall easier.

call the landing and ask as well. Sometimes you rent from the landing and some boats have rental gear on the boat.

HBsurf fisher
    HBsurf fisher
    My overnight on the Pacifica just got cancelled for tomorrow, sunday 4-18, not enough people. I booked next sunday and Capt said he needs 8 min so hopefully 8 or 9 book and we have an empty pacifica that we can fill with BFT
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Jim Berghauser
    Boat
    Na

Sounds like maybe the “fleet” is putting sudden pressure on the BFT causing schools to break up or move away. Hopefully the BFT will re-group and we will be back on the “meat”.

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
    Aug 17, 2006
    North County
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    They are coming.....but slowly !! There's the Bold Horizon off Clemente and he is working an area hard right now !!

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0