tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Not a PENN sponsored trip, but I jumped on a friend's 3-day charter aboard Pacific Voyager this past weekend. Stellar crew who worked very hard, plus excellent food.
Headed south, and morning of day 1 saw us metering huge schools of bluefin starting at 4 AM, but no bites at all until about 7 AM, and then a very slow pick on 50-75 pounders. Plenty of casualties, mostly chew-offs. Most bites on flylined sardines on 40-pound gear, but also a couple on various jigs.
A long dry spell and a 10 mile move south found a smaller 20-40 pound grade that was more willing to bite. This grade was possible for 30-pound tackle, so bites were more frequent. About 4 PM they really heated up, and we finished the day with 40 bluefin for 18 anglers.
Day 2 in the same area started the same, but never really got rolling on the bluefin. Around lunchtime got a few 12-20 pound yellowfin, and got a couple of hot but very short stops on them during mid-afternoon. The yellowfin hit almost anything if you were in the water when they flashed through. Day 2 total was 15 bluefin and 25 yellowfin.
Day 3 was a move up to the Rockpile and Coronados, but conditions were not good for yellowtail. The group got plenty of very nice red rockfish, and also some decent barracuda.
Besides bait, I got all of my yellowfin and a couple of bluefin on a 2.5 ounce blue/silver Williamson Gomame jig, upgraded to an Owner 5/0 open eye Siwash hook.
My personal biggest fish was a 71-pound bluefin that ate a sardine fished on a 1/0 Owner Mutu Hybrid, with 4 feet of 40 pound fluorocarbon, and 30-pound mono, on a little PENN Torque TRQ15LD2.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
[QUOTE="tunanorth,
My personal biggest fish was a 71-pound bluefin that ate a sardine fished on a 1/0 Owner Mutu Hybrid, with 4 feet of 40 pound fluorocarbon, and 30-pound mono, on a little PENN Torque TRQ15LD2.[/QUOTE]

Very glad to hear this Steve,

i just took delivery of a fth15ld2.......it was looking a might small. :)

Upvote 0

chamackO

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
[QUOTE="tunanorth,
My personal biggest fish was a 71-pound bluefin that ate a sardine fished on a 1/0 Owner Mutu Hybrid, with 4 feet of 40 pound fluorocarbon, and 30-pound mono, on a little PENN Torque TRQ15LD2.

Very glad to hear this Steve,

i just took delivery of a fth15ld2.......it was looking a might small. :)[/QUOTE]

the sound of that light braid zipping off is both exciting and scary

Upvote 0