Name
greg goddard
Boat
246 Shamrock
Company: California Department of Fish & Wildlife
February 07, 2018

Commission Suspends License of Sportfishing Charter Boat Operator for Poaching
by CDFW

The California Fish and Game Commission (Commission) today ordered a five-year suspension of the license of Pacific Star Sportfishing, Inc., a recreational sportfishing vessel operator. The decision was made following oral arguments heard at the Commission meeting today in Sacramento.

In an undercover operation and subsequent boarding by officers in 2013, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) wildlife officers observed 18 violations including poaching within California’s marine protected area (MPA) network, exceeding the possession limits of several fish species, using illegal methods to take fish and failing to report accurate counts on logbooks. Based on these violations, CDFW filed an accusation with the Commission against Pacific Star requesting that the Commission suspend this commercial passenger fishing vessel license.

“Illegal take of our marine resources, especially in MPAs, undermines the tireless work of law enforcement, scientists, the public and fishermen in California,” said Commission President Eric Sklar. “The Commission took ample time to review the department’s accusation and we hope this serves as a message that we do not take lightly these sorts of violations and will ensure those who are responsible receive the appropriate penalty.”

The Commission’s decision today follows a two-day hearing in 2017 conducted by an administrative law judge on behalf of the Commission with CDFW and Pacific Star both participating. The judge ultimately proposed that the Commission suspend the license for two years, with only the first 90 days of the suspension taking effect so long as Pacific Star complied with certain terms of probation. The Commission rejected that proposal as inadequate and gave CDFW and Pacific Star each 15 minutes today to argue their positions, resulting in today’s suspension.

CDFW

Sacramento, CA
916-445-0411

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
3 strikes and... Wait, I mean EIGHTEEN strikes and....

And aren't they called 'gannions' ?
The DFW is a bunch of pussies who hide behind the law. Its not the boat or crews job to keep track of possession limits. Fishing in the protected areas changes every season and half the time during the middle of the season. These fucking asshats in Sacramento don't even fish, their wives tell them how to vote. do you think the PS was purposely trying to destroy the ocean? No, that's their livelihood...Ive been boarded by the DFG (DFW) and these dipshits don't know their ass from their ankles. They probably have to run home to their Sierra Club and PETA meetings. DO NOT support or help them.

jigfisherman

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 17, 2010
Huntington Beach
Name
Josh Huffstetler
Boat
none
I mean the Star was fishing and keeping rockfish well deeper than 120 at tanner/Cortez and at San nic along with cow cod. Was gonna happen sooner or later. No one must like Mike too much anyways. They were on a 3.5 day during that epic November 60 mile bank bite and island hopped never even catching a yellow. 100-200 pound tuna bit all those three days. When the boat got back, all the 3.5 day passengers had to watch as the Aztec unloaded 36 fish of lifetimes while they fished cod in American waters

ZMAN

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2004
San Clemente
Name
zack story
Boat
26 Radon
The DFW is a bunch of pussies who hide behind the law. Its not the boat or crews job to keep track of possession limits. Fishing in the protected areas changes every season and half the time during the middle of the season. These fucking asshats in Sacramento don't even fish, their wives tell them how to vote. do you think the PS was purposely trying to destroy the ocean? No, that's their livelihood...Ive been boarded by the DFG (DFW) and these dipshits don't know their ass from their ankles. They probably have to run home to their Sierra Club and PETA meetings. DO NOT support or help them.
You Sir are fucking clueless

walkerman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
And, if you bought a ticket, fished on that boat without knowing you were in an mpa or fishing deeper than allowed or that the boat was over limits, you lose your fish if the boat is boarded.

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
The capt of the boat is responsible to make sure every passenger has a license and is responsible for where and how they fish while on the boat.Also are responsible for fishing in a legal area.Just part of their duty as a capt and boat operator.There are other boats that fish inside the MPAs.That boat had do been targeted with good intell to have that kind of citations IMO.Tom

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
That’s a shame. I’ve always enjoyed fishing on the PacStar and have done a 3.5 day with for the last several years. Mike and the crew made it fun. And, I recall several times them telling passengers they had to return catch for being out of season or in waters where it wasn’t allowed.

But, rules are rules and they need to abide by them. Guess I’ll finally try and fish with Bruce Smith.

Reactions: jbarto

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Wow.. actually it is the boat and crews job. And it looks like the PacStar is sunk. Time to sell the boat change the name and get it under new management/ownership.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy

Trolling, Trolling, Trolling, rawhide....

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
There's a mole. Someone had it out for Mike

If you read the documents, it was started by a anonymous tip from a passenger. Don't over look the fact, that they were already on probation for similar violations. Add that with the tip...and why not send a few undercovers on board.

It is documented by the undercover officer, that one deckhand said there will be some stuff on this boat that is illegal, "what happens on the boat stays on the boat" I am not quoting word for word, but close.

How many times do you think they got away with this stuff, before they got caught?

If people actually read the entire documents, there is no way you can justly defending this boat, captain, or crew.

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
The DFW is a bunch of pussies who hide behind the law. Its not the boat or crews job to keep track of possession limits. Fishing in the protected areas changes every season and half the time during the middle of the season. These fucking asshats in Sacramento don't even fish, their wives tell them how to vote. do you think the PS was purposely trying to destroy the ocean? No, that's their livelihood...Ive been boarded by the DFG (DFW) and these dipshits don't know their ass from their ankles. They probably have to run home to their Sierra Club and PETA meetings. DO NOT support or help them

https://apps.wildlife.ca.gov/marinelogs/cpfv/

Last edited:

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
If you read the documents, it was started by a anonymous tip from a passenger. Don't over look the fact, that they were already on probation for similar violations. Add that with the tip...and why not send a few undercovers on board.

It is documented by the undercover officer, that one deckhand said there will be some stuff on this boat that is illegal, "what happens on the boat stays on the boat" I am not quoting word for word, but close.

How many times do you think they got away with this stuff, before they got caught?

If people actually read the entire documents, there is no way you can justly defending this boat, captain, or crew.
Yep, its painfully obvious they broke the law in multiple ways on at least two occasions. The only part I disagree with is the punishment.

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
I would not have played with my check so carelessly. He's responsible for all aspects of the boat and the safety of everyone! He screwed himself and his crew. Hopefully he can rebound to some extent, would never wish this on anyone!

Reactions: invictus and kevina

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
What needs to be suspended for 5 years are the stupid MPA's and the DFG
guys claiming they're policing them every minute. I doubt Mike and crew
intentionally drifted into the "forbidden" waters, who knows? I think a 5 year
yanking of a Sport Boat's license is pretty severe for Owner and crew.
Hard to make "assumptions" without seeing all the info and accusations.
iF there were no longer stupid MPA's , boats and people could fish and enjoy
the rewards of paying the highest taxes and fishing license fees in America.

Just my take. I've fished for years with Mike on T-Bird and the Star. LOL Sad ending.
It's probably why I only go strictly tuna fishing for years now out of San Diego!
Not rock fishing!! Too much BS. It will never be the same as my last 65 years. LOL

Last edited:

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore

It's not until you become a major abuser is when you get caught
I uncovered a group of locals at Diamond Valley Lake in 2013 selling giant Largemouth Bass fillet cut to look like Tilapia . For years they were catching Giant Largemouth slow trolling live Bluegill. All the local fish markets were buying Striped Bass and Largemouth Bass from these guy's. They set back a beautiful fishery years.
It's not until you become a major abuser is when you get caught.
I got it all on camera of coarse. The DFW knew what was going on because right after I reported what was happening the major abuser called me the next day at my house and I broke out all hell on the whole thing. The camera finds thing you never see.
I'd like to tell the story some day how I shut down the Wounded Warrior Striper King Classic fishing tournament at Diamond Valley Lake because of fraud and cheating. It was the largest Striped Bass tournament on the west coast and The Wounded Warrior Project new nothing of them and never got a cent of money.

Corey (3).JPG

Last edited:

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard

Seriously? First of all, every time I've been boarding by wardens, they have always been professional and know what they are doing. Secondly, it IS absolutely the captain and crews job to know exactly what the regulations are, even with mid-season changes, as well as what the fish count is and if they are in a closed area or not.

mindbent

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
Rules are rules wrather we like them or not. He knew what he was doing and willing to take a risk. Now he has to suffer the consequences. 5 years of not being allowed to do any commercial fishing might seem harsh but I doubt this was a one time offense. I personally will not fish on a boat that I know is breaking the law, usually not till I've fished it do I know. If the captain is willing to break the law can he be trusted? If anybody thinks that just because they can't see any boats means they can't be seen, think again. I don't know all the details of what happened but obviously the DFG had enough info or suspicion to board the boat.

Trout.com

Jul 8, 2013
San Dimas
Name
Michael
Boat
17' Klamath "Queequeg"
is there a dislike button?

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
I realize the boat fucked up. But why would it take 5 years for a resolution to this? The article says 2013. Where is the timely Justice? So these guys were allowed to fish another 5 years after the violation?
Looks like a fucked up system.

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Wow your a dipshit !!

Bongos

Aug 6, 2010
Garden Grove
Name
Khanh
Boat
Scrambler Kayak
A whole group of my friends chartered this boat during the hot blue fin bite last year, instead of fishing with the rest of the fleet per the charter masters request , the capt decides to go bottom fishing.. they were pissed to say the least. When they got back from their 1.5 day trip.. everyone else had blue fin..

Biggest gripe was these people had to sacrifice time, work and funds for the trip and the Capt/Crew did this to them.. All I can say is KARMA is a Bitch.... LOL