Pacific Star 8/20-8/23 2.5 day

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by captain94704, Aug 23, 2017.

1. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    I took a trip on the Pacific Star for a 2.5 day trip and just prior to the trip I was concerned that the fishing had slowed down south. When we got on the boat I found out the plan was to head out to Desperation reef to try for the jumbo tuna in the grey light and then head over to Cortez Bank. We got a late start leaving Sunday night and then they realized that we would miss the grey light bite at Desperation reef and off to Cortez bank we went. We I boarded the boat their was a pleasant surprise to find live squid on board. On the last trip the deck hands stayed up catching live squid for us.

On the way we found a patty and I was able to catch one of two dorado from the patty, a nice start to the day. Once at desperation reef we had a steady pick at the larger yellowtails, nothing was less than 10# for the trip and most were 15-25# with the occasional 30#. Very different than the the yellowtails down south. In addition we got regular blue fin mixed in with the fish averaging 10-20#. Most of the fish were caught on the squid with the occasional bluefin caught on the sardine.

In the middle of the day we found a large school of squid on the surface and we were able to replenish our supply

I ended the day with the jackpot bluefin that almost spooled me on 30# test, it was close to 44#.

The rest of the story to come tomorrow

thumb_IMG_7938_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_7972_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_7985_1024.jpg

2. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    Wow!! You killed it buddy. Sounds like an epic trip

3. Jiggermeister

Jiggermeister Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    None
    So was this Desperation Reef or Cortez?

wils and Paul Ward like this.
  4. tamddo714

tamddo714 Member

Name:
    Butt Hunter
    Boat:
    Proline 23 Sport
    awesome job on the fish! cool picture of the squid! ive never encountered any besides at the bait barge. when theyre floating like that do you know what exactly theyre doing? forging for food? thanks again for the report

5. BluefinCurly

BluefinCurly Skipper

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    Trying to evade being eaten....

6. tom cindric

tom cindric Tom-broke-off

Name:
    all she's got
    Boat:
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    Red right hand!

7. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
  8. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
  9. Sciaenops

Sciaenops Member

Name:
    Keith
    Boat:
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    nice. looks promising for next week's trip on the Islander!

10. BarryFree

BarryFree Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!

Name:
    Barry
    Boat:
    Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
    How was your stay on the Pacific Star? Thinking about it...

11. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Very cool! Nice fish, and love the squid photo.....

12. mongoose969

mongoose969 Member

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    GB
    Very nice, congratulations

13. AhSpray

AhSpray Assistant Gaffer

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    AAA+++ Ho
    Good eating fish! Congrats on the catch and thanks for the report.

14. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    The first day of the trip was at cortez bank and the conditions were flat calm and almost no wind. If anything the biggest issue was a lack of current midday but this improved as the day went on.

The second day of the trip was similar to the first with more big yellowtail and a slow pick on the bluefin. By late afternoon things had slowed down so the decision was made to head to Desperation reef to try for a monster bluefin. By the time we arrived it was dark and the wind and waves were up. It was slightly challenging fishing (at least compared to the day before). Of the 21 anglers on board there were only 4-5 of us fishing and we were all using 250g glow in the dark flat fall jigs. The rest of the passengers were inside having an excellent dinner. We did this for about an hour and the charter master had his jig stop but the fish did not stick. 10 minutes later the captain metered bluefin at 170 feet down and then a few minutes after the guy next to me hooked up while retrieving the flat fall. The only problem is yo yoing the flat falls up and down 300 feet is tiring and the poor guy got a bad arm cramp 2 minutes after the fight started. I had fished with him for two days and he was an excellent tough fisherman. The good news for me is that since everyone was inside eating and drinking I was the only one ready to take over on his rod. The other good news is he was fishing the right gear 100# spectra to 150# flouro leader with 30+ pounds of drag. On the other hand I was fishing my heaviest rod which was a single speed avet JV with 500 yards 65# spectra on a 8' calstar. I learned the day before the challenges of catching the 44# bluefin on the wrong gear. It was a 8' calstar with a single speed penn fathom 15 with 300 yards of spectra.

Since we had the right gear I was able to get the bluefin to color surprisingly quickly but each time it saw the boat back down it went. I had it within 10 feet of the boat 3 times by minute 15 but it kept diving back down. By this point the cramp had resolved and the originally angler was able to put the wood to the fish and we got it to gaff by minute 20. I am still surprised how quick the fight was. The advantage of using the right gear is the fight is quicker, the disadvantage is the fish was still hot when he was gaffed and in the mayhem the tip of the rod was broken. The crew taped the bluefin at 174#. I have intentionally not posted the other anglers face purely because I don't know if he wants it online. But he was a great angler and knew far more about fishing for big tuna than I did.

Things I learned catching this fish is the rail is your friend. Even kneeling down using the rail the entire time I was getting tired and by the time we got the fish to gaff the drag was set to 35-40#. If I had hooked this fish on my gear it would have been a dramatically different battle that would have been far longer and maybe it would have ended differently.

thumb_IMG_8009_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8036_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8050_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8051_1024.jpg

kbray001, mongoose969 and Tunahead like this.
  15. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    To sum up the trip.

The boat is an excellent fishing machine that is well run.
    The captain worked hard to put us on the fish and there were 3 other boats near us but it seemed like we were hooked up far more than the other boats.

The final tally for the trip - 21 anglers
    84 bluefin
    102 yellowtail

Garrett was the cook and in addition to making amazing food he spent a significant portion of his time helping anglers getting rigged up, gaffing fish and overall making it an excellent trip.

Alex was the senior deckhand and he did everything possible to help the anglers catch fish. The two of them worked non stop to make it an excellent trip for everyone on board.

Overall it is an excellent boat that I plan to go on again, in my short fishing career I would call it a trip of a lifetime.

thumb_IMG_7954_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_7966_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_7970_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_7974_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8007_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8056_1024.jpg

ZZZZZ, kbray001 and wils like this.
  16. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE FISH....always did catch a lot of fish on Pac Star. Good job!

Pgnracr likes this.
  17. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    Okay last post (maybe), I took the fish to Five star for processing. This was the first time I used there service and they did an excellent job. I was able to fill two cooler full of fillets.

thumb_IMG_8063_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8064_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8067_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8068_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8069_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_8071_1024.jpg

18. Omarkayak

Omarkayak Member

Name:
    Bills
    Boat:
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Bangin'! Thanks for your detailed report--I feel the excitement! Way to get catching.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

19. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I enjoy fishing with Mike and his crew. I'll be on a 2.5 day next month and am looking forward to tugging on some tuna.

20. forktail

forktail Fishaholic

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    none
    Cool, thanks for writing this up.
    here are some photos of the bait.

DSCF1139.JPG DSCF1147.JPG DSCF1148.JPG DSCF1150.JPG