Pacific Quest – Bait Wraps Sponsored trip 5/21/2016

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by The Sea Hag, May 23, 2016.

1. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    Back by popular demand, after the April Bait Wraps sponsored trip on the Pacific Quest, we set up two more; one in May and one in June.

For this trip, everyone got a free Bait Wraps surface iron!
    DSCN0682.JPG DSCN0683.JPG
    DSCN0684.JPG DSCN0685.JPG DSCN0686.JPG
    After boarding and handing out jigs to everyone, Captain Greg came in and went over the game plan; we’d be going to Catalina to see if we could continue the recent seabass bite, look for some squid in the dark, fishing into gray light, then looking along the beaches for yellowtail or seabass. We had some squid left from the previous trip, so there would be no stop at the bait dock.

I slept for the ride out and got up around 2:00 AM. Most of the passengers were up, and one by one drifted back to bed with no biters. I went back to my bunk around 3:30.

I woke up again at around 5:15, still anchored in the same spot. I was debating whether to get up when the second captain came down and said it was gray light, we should be up in case there was a morning bite.

15 minutes later Matt came out and dropped a squid on a dropper loop and got bit immediately. He hadn’t been fighting it more than a minute and I was bit as well! We landed both fish, 25# class.

DSCN0687.JPG DSCN0689.JPG

But there were no more bites in the gray.... When it got light, Captain Greg started hunting around the other beaches.

It was slow picking around all day. There were a few bat rays, a few bass, and some tiny white seabass released. Captain Greg said he knew where there was a hot bite of some really small yellowtail. We could go get in on that, or we could keep looking around. The consensus was, keep looking for some better grade of fish.

DSCN0690.JPG

Late afternoon, perseverance paid off. Around 3:30 we anchored up by a few other boats and within a few minutes the yellowtail started to bite. Decent grade, maybe 8 to 10 pound range. We put 41 of these fish on the boat in just under an hour. Pretty much non-stop action, with the fish coming through in waves biting 3-4 people at a time.

DSCN0691.JPG

This was Julie's first overnight trip, and she was determined to catch something. The crew gave her lots of pointers on hooking squid, casting, fly lining... and it paid off! She got her first yellowtail, and a couple more after that one!
    DSCN0693.JPG DSCN0696.JPG DSCN0697.JPG DSCN0698.JPG DSCN0700.JPG DSCN0701.JPG DSCN0703.JPG DSCN0704.JPG DSCN0707.JPG DSCN0710.JPG DSCN0711.JPG DSCN0712.JPG DSCN0714.JPG DSCN0717.JPG DSCN0719.JPG

So that’s about it! Great breakfast burritos and burgers from Geoffrey in the galley. And once again a really fun group of anglers. A stiff wind over night died down pretty well by morning, and not a bad trip home. And everyone got a new Bait Wraps Kraken surface jig to take with them.

Thanks again Greg and the crew of the Pacific Quest! I can’t wait to do this again. The next trip, Sunday June 5, is sold out.

The Pacific Quest will be running trips to the islands and offshore from Pierpoint in Long Beach through June. Remaining trips are selling out fast! They’ll move back down south July 1 for the tuna season. A complete schedule can be found on their web site:

http://www.questsportfishing.com/index.php DSCN0716.JPG

2. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Did any of those fish get caught by jigs? Pic of the 25lb fish please! :D.

Johnny J, 1 Ola Mas and fishin_kid like this.
  3. gclance

gclance Member

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    21 1/2ft., Robalo
    Lol! I was thinking the same thing. That picture of the first yellowtail looks more like 13-15lbs. Great post overall, should only be a matter of weeks gentlemen until things start really picking up!

4. Clarion Cat

Clarion Cat Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    My Way
    Always the size haters, they were weighed on a legit mustad hand scale so go kick rocks......... or better yet actually go fishing instead of being internet troll biotches.

fishfish and lougio like this.
  5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    the SLIDER
    A little premature. I'd say about twenty more posts and your statement would be ligit, well as ligit as the Mustad hand scale.

fishislife likes this.
  6. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    the SLIDER
    Maybe reading kg rather than pounds.

11.339 kg = 25 pounds

Never the less, congratulations on the great trip.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    fish_guts likes this.
  7. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Fun trip to the islands Pam! Those first two look legit 25# CLASS (within the standard deviation). Those jigs look good enough to eat!

The Sea Hag likes this.
  8. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Hahaha,,,, Calling Jason Internet troll, funny as hell.

Bottom Line and The Sea Hag like this.
  9. shamitch74

shamitch74 Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    18' Mako CC
    great job!! was fun as hell I'm sure :cheers:

10. LEGENDS

LEGENDS Yogi Bear

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    None
    Looks fun! Always a great read. I'm like a kid days before Christmas as my 8 day is approaching.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  11. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Great report and pics. Thanks Pam.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  12. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    We didn't get any on the jigs on this trip, but I have this squid pattern yoyo iron that I've caught around 50 yellowtail on. The clear finish was getting a little scratch up, but the picture was still perfect, and the hooks that Rich puts on them are heavy duty.. and lasted through all of those with the deckhands yanking the hooks out with dikes and everything....

Bait Wraps.jpg

Thanks Ali....

(........... neener neener Jason...........! ) :p:

13. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Another great trip in the books!! Thanks for sharing.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  14. garlicsalt

garlicsalt Member

Name:
    jed
    Boat:
    ''the twisted ducker''
    Good for Julie, GET IT GIRL!!! I love it when the newbs put a smack down.

15. fishislife

fishislife Newbie

Name:
    JT
    Boat:
    The landings