Offshore Pacific Queen - Wide Open Tuna Fishing - Aug 1st (Video)

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    My second tuna fishing trip ever. Awesome fishing with the Pacific Queen. Professional crew, wide open bluefin biting on fly-line. We got our boat limit by noon, with fish from 30-80lb. The boat also landed a 150+lb fish on kite. The fellow anglers on that boat were all very experienced in tuna fishing. As a rookie, I learnt a lot and had a great time.

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    My second tuna fishing trip ever. Awesome fishing with the Pacific Queen. Professional crew, wide open bluefin biting on fly-line. We got our boat limit by noon, with fish from 30-80lb. The boat also landed a 150+lb fish on kite. The fellow anglers on that boat were all very experienced in tuna fishing. As a rookie, I learnt a lot and had a great time.

Great video Sjtufan. this is Brian, the guy with the bushy mustache that was talking with you and your buddy from Montana on the way in. You guys did great, you picked it up real fast out there, did your buddy land his fish?
    Good fishing with y'all, those fish were aggressive!

Upvote 0

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    Great video Sjtufan. this is Brian, the guy with the bushy mustache that was talking with you and your buddy from Montana on the way in. You guys did great, you picked it up real fast out there, did your buddy land his fish?
    Good fishing with y'all, those fish were aggressive!
    It was great fishing with you, Brian! My buddy did land a nice 55lb fish. Thanks for all the tips and tricks :)

Jim

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

sjtufan

• Jan 8, 2021
    CA
    Name
    Jim Fan
    Boat
    Boat
    Great video. PQ always been a "Fishy Boat". Hell I caught my 1st tuna, yellowtail, white sea bass on it age 13 with original owner and legend Eddie McEwen out of Long Beach. I too in the 60's,
    LEARNED a lot more on every trip.. Glad you had a good one.
    Thanks. We booked this trip early in February. I heard from many people that they're one of the best in San Diego for tuna fishing.. and it didn't disappoint.

Jul 13, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Name
    Dan Bolander
    Boat
    Anything that will let me on
    Been on the Pacific Queen a couple of times over the years, and it’s a top class boat! Your video was the best! Late October I’m taking my son, daughter and my sons fiancé on a 2.5 day out of H&M. For one of us it’s a first time tuna trip…not to mention the other three including myself have “some” experience. Your Video reminded me of how important bait selection is, but more important is how to be aware of your surroundings. Over / under. Congrats on a great trip, and thanks for the pointers!

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    This is actually a standard tactic for rail fighting. If you look in the video you'll see others doing it as well.
    Maybe, but if you go to the 10 minute mark where he hands off his rod the other guys just walks in it by holding the butt of his rod under his armpit and hand a bit past the reel. He ends up losing it, but he also was putting very little effort in brining it in.
    This is how I was taught by Jamie @ Bob Sands (great guy and shop BTW) to bring the fish in. He literally set up a demo and showed how much more leverage you can get from using your body as opposed to just leaning on the rail.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Maybe, but if you go to the 10 minute mark where he hands off his rod the other guys just walks in it by holding the butt of his rod under his armpit and hand a bit past the reel. He ends up losing it, but he also was putting very little effort in brining it in.
    This is how I was taught by Jamie @ Bob Sands (great guy and shop BTW) to bring the fish in. He literally set up a demo and showed how much more leverage you can get from using your body as opposed to just leaning on the rail.
    For sure, both work great! For me it depends on what the fish is doing.

Upvote 0