Offshore Pacific Queen on 11-1

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat Name
Hinano Tahiti
Good times on the Pacific Queen. Booked this trip in May, I think. Crazy you have to book that far out but when you’re good, you’re good! Great boat, great crew, great captain.

When we boarded John looked at my gear & convincingly sent me back to the tackle shop to rent a 80# rig. My buddy had 3 2 speed setups that he was on the fence about letting me use. I get it no worries. My largest rig was 60# but John said that won’t work.

Everything was pretty great. A group of joke-cracking knuckleheads on the boat kept everyone laughing pretty hard most of the time. We ran pretty far, started fishing at 7 or so. It was slow so Gavin kept looking. We tried on some 30-60 models but only one or two would go. Mid morning we moved an hour or so & we had better luck on 60-90 fish.

As the day went on the bite got better. Eventually I hooked a (estimated 70-80#) fish on colt sniper. The thing took me up & down the rail. Unfortunately there were a few completely clueless people. They just really didn’t seem to know or care that they should get the f%$# outta the way when someone is coming down the rail-even with the deckhands yelling ahead.

After 10 minutes I was wrapped with 2-3 other individuals that didn’t even seem to know they were wrapped with me. The deckhand kept trying to weave me up to the bow so we could be in the clear but there was no luck. BING! Line snapped. I was pissed. As I brought in my line the last one wrapped around my topshot was pulled off. The decky said, “who has the blue line?” An extremely clueless person seemed bewildered to know it was them. They had absolutely no idea at all that they had just sawed me off on a career fish. They simply walked over, smiled, and said “oh, that’s mine, thanks” then took the line and walked away. It was obvious by their intonation that they had no fricken clue what they just did. Checking out my line I could see a clear “u-shaped” cut on my line that was colored with blue all around it. What can you do. Funny thing is the person was brought on by someone who totally knew what they were doing as they were instructing them for a few hours. Guess they skipped the part about f&^%ing it up for others?

That’s life. I’ve caused tangles before but never like that.

About an hour later the bite picked up & Gavin hooked a few. I was next to him on one & he handed it to me. Was awesome. At one point there were four of us in the bow all on fish. We were all getting our asses kicked.

I got mine up first with some help, and it came over the rail with a big thud. Ended up weighing about 70-75#. I was totally stoked. Biggest tuna I’ve ever had. The rest of the guys got theirs in as well. We were all completely stoked. A couple aces ended up with 3 fish, a couple with 2. And I think Gavin hooked and handed off at least 3. My buddy, who is an expert fisherman, years of experience, has all the gear, knows how to use it, has fished for ever, has gotten numerous jackpots, drew blanks that day. That’s life.

All in all, a pretty epic day on an epic boat with a great crew. The report said something like 60-80# but mine was 70# gutted & gilled and a number of the fish were quite a bit bigger than mine, so my guess is around 60-100# but who knows.

GOPR0008.jpg

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7125.jpg

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great Report/Info/Pics PJ. NICE FISH all!
    Another PQ trip for the books! Glad you
    got your new Personal Best after all. I caught
    my 1st tuna, yt, wsb on PQ in the 60's age 13
    with original owner/legend Eddie McEwen out
    of old Pacific Landing in Long Beach..lot of
    memories on that boat. It's really fishy! LOL

Reactions: Koyote
    Upvote 0
    Feb 23, 2019
    Oregon
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Breaker Dory
    I came in on the PQ Sunday morning 10/31 after 3 days of epic fishing. We had a wide open kite bite on Friday with 3 cows on the rail at any given moment. My first ever BFT trip and I landed the smallest jumbo of the trip at 150. I think we had 17 or 19 over 200. The PacQueen finds the fish. I’m praying I’m back next year. I’ll surely get myself on a will-call list for a trip between now and then.

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Blue line guy…. Don’t be that guy! On my recent 2.5 day, there was a guy with blue braid that was tangled/slack/in the way ….. hmmm maybe it is a trend!

Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    Thanks for the report and posting a pic of me and my buddy. Which pic is of you?

Yeah, there were a few noobs on this trip which is pretty uncommon on the Queen. This is the 2nd time this year where a guy came in right into the middle of the drift and under handed a cast right into the someone’s line. Brutal.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Good Job. I hope you were taking pictures of the fish on the deck in the 7th picture and not that big full moon, I'm going to have nightmares tonight after seeing that.

• Haha
    Reactions: Zika and Koyote
    Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
    Central Coast
    Name
    PJ
    Boat Name
    Hinano Tahiti
    Thanks for the report and posting a pic of me and my buddy. Which pic is of you?

Yeah, there were a few noobs on this trip which is pretty uncommon on the Queen. This is the 2nd time this year where a guy came in right into the middle of the drift and under handed a cast right into the someone’s line. Brutal.
    I'm the dude with the backwards baseball hat. Which one are you? I figured it was atypcial for that boat to have a lot of clueless people on it.

I remember there were 3 on in the bow & another clueless person was walking up to cast his jig out in between them. Gavin turned and said, "don't even think about tossing out right here, that's stupid". The guy turned and walked away. Everyone else was totally cool. The cook was hella cool, great food & great convo with him. The big fella deckhand, forgot his name, know hes a capt on the grande, was great. Meghan was great, John great. Definitely THE boat for the bluefin!

Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    I'm the dude with the backwards baseball hat. Which one are you? I figured it was atypcial for that boat to have a lot of clueless people on it.

I remember there were 3 on in the bow & another clueless person was walking up to cast his jig out in between them. Gavin turned and said, "don't even think about tossing out right here, that's stupid". The guy turned and walked away. Everyone else was totally cool. The cook was hella cool, great food & great convo with him. The big fella deckhand, forgot his name, know hes a capt on the grande, was great. Meghan was great, John great. Definitely THE boat for the bluefin!

I’m the Asian dude in the black vest struggling to lift the fish. Thanks for posting the pic! My buddy Jay is the guy at the rail with the beanie and black sunglasses.

We were all up at the bow fighting the fish around 6pm. I was exhausted after the 15min fight on 40lb test.

Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
    Central Coast
    Name
    PJ
    Boat Name
    Hinano Tahiti
    Sorry about the pic of Megans backside. She is awesome. Helped me a ton. Definitely a true professional. Honestly, I just hopped out, took the pic & didn't wanna linger as I know they wanna get their work done when they have the fish on the deck.

Reactions: Koyote
    Upvote 0