Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat Name
16' Starcraft SF SS
The 12 was great and never thought I would need the 16 unless you need the line capacity. For fish over 150 I'd say the 16 would be better

Thanks for the reply! You had yours backed with 65 braid right?

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Congrats on the personal best mark (and heck yes count it!) and thanks for a great report. I'm looking forward to more from you this summer and fall.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    someday a 23' Striper
    I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say most anglers DO NOT KNOW just how hard they can pull on #30 / #40 /#50 line. Seriously.

While doing nationwide angling seminars put on by SALTWATER SPORTSMAN magazine in the 80's and 90's....I learned and saw many things. You know we test our knot break strength at the shows.... and line break strength as well.... but never take that thought and info a step further.

During those seminars.... I participated with a few well know skippers.... In a demonstration that put "light" on the whole subject. They would call "random" angler participants, to pull on a rod and reel (like fishing) with 30# on it....until they thought it was "just about to break".

Hooked up to a digital scale.....that they could not see (yet the audience could)... they pulled and pulled and would say "stop" when they thought they were at the MAX. before breakage occurrence.

Surprise. ....Most yelled "stop" around 12# to 15# of pull. Less than 35% - 50% of the actual break strength! Yet we all know most major mono or leader brands break at least at the "listed" strength. Most brands even "boast" of better break strength than the listed size.

Of the hundreds of anglers we did this demonstration with... across the nation, NOT ONCE....did an angler break the line while pulling on that scale. ZERO!!

What I learned..... take your rod and reel.... with your preferred brand of leader and line...and do your own test. Make a loop at the end... attach a carabiner and your digital scale. Attach it to a post or pole....what ever you have. Have your buddy watch the scale... and step back about 20' - 50' feet. Then PULL like you were on a big fish. Again...until you think the line is just about to break. You'll be suprised...to say the least!!

Learn just how "hard" you personally... can REALLY pull on that size of line. I dare you to even try to break it while doing this test. You'll not only learn more about your line....but just how far YOU can pull on that rod and reel before line breakage happens. Then teach yourself how to hold that pressure for extended periods of time.... ie like the actual battle would be in a real life boat situation. World class angler / Record holder Ralph Michelson did this all year while preparing for his big tuna trips!

Once you've done this on a few of your rod and reel combos. .... and lines sizes, you'll be a much better angler.... leading to more fish and less time per fish caught. YOU NEED TO BE THE BULLY IN THAT FISH FIGHT with bigger tuna.

Take them....or "break" Em....
    My motto when tuna fishing any size fish.

For those "naysayers" who say they know how hard they can pull..... that's what those well know Skippers said nation wide.... before they participated in those demonstrations. Even they were surprised... big time. Nows the time. I dare you to try it. These are the things.... "advanced" anglers can do... to "up" their game. It's also why they say ....
    "
    10% of the anglers.... get 90% of the fish"

Good luck my brothers....
    It depends on the size and of the hook used. Last year we could only get bit on size 1 or 2 hooks. Every so often someone got but on size 1/0. We were bending out the mustad size 1 hooks if we pulled too hard so you have to weigh out the ability to pull hard vs the hooks used.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    I'm with you brother. Strange dynamic forces at work when fighting those larger tuna.... and straightening a hook. First.... I love and have used MUSTAD hooks my whole life.... but if I experienced even 1 straighten hook... I'd change... right there if at all possible. Today's hooks have come along way from when MUSTAD was the "only game" in town. Before going this year.... may I suggest you augment your current hook supply with OWNER or HUYABUSA.....even GAMAKATSU brand hooks.

I'm also not saying that these brands "never" straighten..... I've seen it with my own eyes. But your right.... keep in mind the quality of your knots and terminal tackle. Otherwise. ...

TAKE THEM OR BREAK THEM!!

Upvote 0

warichio

Jul 23, 2014
    Name
    Michael Warren-Angelucci
    Boat Name
    jet ski
    Owner mutu # 1 is much larger than another brands # 1, same with all the other sizes. Because mutu go down to #4 as the smallest what do you guys use below mutu #4? I start using mustad j hooks... but is there another better hook? I haven’t found a solid circle hook below mutu #4... more of a question for when the bite goes slow or yellowfin

Upvote 0

SD Fish Guy

-Patrick the aquarium pro
    Apr 28, 2012
    Oceanside, Ca
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat Name
    Triumph 17' CC, Seapro 190wa
    Owner mutu # 1 is much larger than another brands # 1, same with all the other sizes. Because mutu go down to #4 as the smallest what do you guys use below mutu #4? I start using mustad j hooks... but is there another better hook? I haven’t found a solid circle hook below mutu #4... more of a question for when the bite goes slow or yellowfin

I use owner mutu, down to #4 and mustad j hooks for smaller stuff. I've never straightened a hook fishing live bait and I love how affordable mustad's old school hooks that we've all been using our entire lives are.

And about when to switch to low gear, that totally depends on the situation and the fish. Sometimes they charge the boat. I love how easy the push-in button on Penn reels works, and switching gears is super intuitive and simple. On big fish it's really useful. You might switch back and forth between gears multiple times. I also like low geared star drag reels (single speed) like old progears, and I switched to the lowest gear ratio available for my penn torque. If you only have one speed I think it's more efficient to have a lower gear. I only want a really high speed reel fishing heavy jigs (yoyo).

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0