Hntnhrd

Almost A Member
  • Jul 5, 2016
    Corvallis Montana
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Sold
    This was my first trip of any kind out of San Diego , so I don’t have any experience to compare to. But I had an absolute great time on this trip. With perfect weather forecasted we left the Harbor under a half moon. I spent a bunch of time searching this site about overnight trips and finally decided to pull the trigger on a 1.5 day trip on the PQ. It’s a long drive from western Montana to the Harbor in San Diego but in my opinion this was good way to learn my way around and see if I want to do a longer trip ( spoiler alert! Yes I do !!)
    The boat slowed just after sunrise and Captain Gavin announced we were looking for yellowtail. We were further south of Colonet and near the Vagabond who had left the harbor just before us. The boat stopped and the Deckhands started chucking Sardines off the back off the boat. The captain was pretty excited that we had yellowtail under the boat all the way from the bottom to the top. We were dropping jigs and he came on the speaker and told everyone to stop where every they were in the water Column and start cranking. Rods were getting bent up and down the line. I was using a jri 66 in scrambled egg and instantly had a fish on. After about 20 seconds I lost it!!! Dang. Put the reel in freespool, dropped a ways down and started reeling again. Bang another fish on. This one came up and was gaffed. The deckhand unhooked it and told me to get back in there!! I dropped back over the side and got about half way to the bottom and my line went slack. Threw the reel in gear and started cranking. Bingo Yellowtail number 2. Got this one up and gaffed , thinking “ Damn this fun!!!”. We drifted off the school and that was the end of the yellowtail for the day!!. We searched for awhile as was the Vagabond but we just never could get on them again. We switched over to Rockfishing the rest of the day. My first 3 fish were pretty good fish but I lost everyone of them to a Seal!! I couldn’t believe it!! Oh well I eventually got 5 or 6 nice Red Rockfish . I racked my gear and just enjoyed the rest of the day watching the circus at the rail witha pretty strong current, haha.
    I can’t say enough nice things about the crew, captain, cook or the boat. Not wanting to hassle with fillets when we got home we had 5 star process our fish and had them vacuum sealed and frozen for the drive back to Montana.
    I am searching the different boats websites now looking for a longer trip to take next time!!

Attachments

• 7D19B45A-5437-4DE0-BA78-E0BBBEE36404.jpeg
      7D19B45A-5437-4DE0-BA78-E0BBBEE36404.jpeg
      560.7 KB · Views: 248
    • 4E3B6369-79DB-4144-AC81-EB3CAB3561C2.jpeg
      4E3B6369-79DB-4144-AC81-EB3CAB3561C2.jpeg
      600.8 KB · Views: 262
    • 864139B3-37A2-4C02-BEB2-254C53467DE5.jpeg
      864139B3-37A2-4C02-BEB2-254C53467DE5.jpeg
      730.5 KB · Views: 263
    • 38973801-6E24-4918-B415-9739E2798728.jpeg
      38973801-6E24-4918-B415-9739E2798728.jpeg
      529.1 KB · Views: 256
    • 86AD5E2D-B133-4C0B-A853-19FBAAF3412E.jpeg
      86AD5E2D-B133-4C0B-A853-19FBAAF3412E.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 284
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ezlimitz

My biggest YFT caught in PV.
    Aug 8, 2003
    San Diego
    www.writemyoffer.com
    Name
    Terry Dyer
    Boat
    Had a few but it's been a while.
    thanks for taking the time to share your trip. glad you had a great time too

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
    Sep 12, 2010
    garden grove, ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Maria
    Awesome trip great share thanks.

Upvote 0

critical

Almost A Member
    May 30, 2012
    Dana
    Name
    Stuart
    Boat
    Grady
    Wow, Fun trip! You got the fever now and all you have to do is drive from Montana!!

Upvote 0

Hntnhrd

Almost A Member
  • Jul 5, 2016
    Corvallis Montana
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Sold
    Quick update;
    Left one package of yellowtail out when I got home yesterday to thaw in the fridge. Just took it off the Blackstone and a a spoon full of peach mango salsa on top!!! Holy shit!!!! I can’t wait to get more!!!

Attachments

• 77F6A8AA-FE7C-4014-8570-746E670E1FDA.jpeg
      77F6A8AA-FE7C-4014-8570-746E670E1FDA.jpeg
      760.1 KB · Views: 91
    • CA7D34EA-EB9E-410D-AB73-B2C6651E55CC.jpeg
      CA7D34EA-EB9E-410D-AB73-B2C6651E55CC.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 87
    Upvote 0

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
    South OC
    Name
    Kirk
    Boat
    Regal 24
    This was my first trip of any kind out of San Diego , so I don’t have any experience to caompare to. But I had an absolute great time on this trip. With perfect weather forecasted we left the Harbor under a half moon. I spent a bunch of time searching this site about overnight trips and finally decided to pull the trigger on a 1.5 day trip on the PQ. It’s a long drive from western Montana to the Harbor in San Diego but in my opinion this was good way to learn my way around and see if I want to do a longer trip ( spoiler alert! Yes I do !!)
    The boat slowed just after sunrise and Captain Gavin announced we were looking for yellowtail. We were further south of Colonet and were near the Vagabond who had left the harbor just before us. The boat stopped and the Deckhands started chucking Sardines off the back off the boat. The captain was pretty excited that we had yellowtail under the boat all the way from the bottom to the top. We were dropping jigs and he came on the speaker and told everyone to stop we’re every they were in the water Column and start cranking. Rods were getting bent up and down the line. I was using a jri 66 in scrambled egg and instantly had a fish on. After about 20 seconds I lost it!!! Dang. Put the reel in freespool, dropped a ways down and started reeling again. Bang another fish on. This one came up and was gaffed. The deckhand unhooked it and told me to get back in there!! I dropped back over the side and got about half way to the bottom and my line went slack. Three the reel in gear and started cranking. Bingo Yellowtail number 2. Got this one up and gaffed , thinking “ Damn this fun!!!”. We drifted off the school and that was the end of the yellowtail for the day!!. We searched for awhile as was the Vagabond but we just never could get on them again. We switched over to Rockfishing the rest of the day. My first 3 fish were pretty good fish but I lost everyone of them to a Seal!! I couldn’t believe it!! Oh well I eventually got 5 or 6 nice Red Rockfish . I racked my gear and just enjoyed the rest of the day watching the circus at the rail witha pretty strong current, haha.
    I can’t say enough nice things about the crew, captain, cook or the boat. Not wanting to hassle with fillets when we got home we had 5 star process or fish and had them vacuum sealed and frozen for the drive back to Montana.
    I am searching the different boats websites now looking for a longer trip to take next time!!

Great write up. That is one heck of a drive from Montana. Keep the reports coming.

Beautiful country up your way. My wife lived in Hamilton for years. I’d love to move up there one day.

Reactions: Hntnhrd
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    A mid winter trip is always tricky since weather and fish can both not cooperate, but you nailed it like a seasoned Vet. Welcome to the addiction!

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
    Roseville, CA
    Name
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat
    21' Seaswirl
    Nice write up!!

Tell me you didn't come down solo!! That's a long haul for 1.5 day trip, but you got into a decent YT bite to start things off.

Now you'll have to feed the addiction.

Upvote 0

Hntnhrd

Almost A Member
  • Jul 5, 2016
    Corvallis Montana
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Sold
    Nice write up!!

Tell me you didn't come down solo!! That's a long haul for 1.5 day trip, but you got into a decent YT bite to start things off.

Now you'll have to feed the addiction.
    Actually had a buddy from Montana drive down with me and another from Manitoba that flew in!!

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    Lucky you had a good trip You could have driven all that way and caught nothing. It was a risk glad it worked out for you
    I drove all the way to Montana 5 yrs ago and didn't catch anything but a little 8in trout bought a bunch of fly gear for the trip and haven't used it since.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Good report! I got to say I have to quit bitching about the drive from OC... Glad you had a good time.

Living in Costa Mesa I Understand completely with the frustration driving to SD from OC. However the pain can be mitigated by avoiding travel on any Friday. That traffic destined for TJ and points beyond is nothing short of spectacular.
    But it's a Catch 22 as Friday departures of the fleet are prime dates for the start of tuna hunts. So my best suggestion, not ideal but tolerable, is on
    Fridays you have to be on the road no later then 1:30 pm thus avoiding the majority of the aggravation. The down side is the time gap between arrival in SD and departure time. Go to a movie, hit a Sushi Bar, play some Poker
    Friday is the worst, any other day leaving at 3-4 pm presents minimal grief.

Walt

Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    30' Albemarle
    Nothing like having the yo yo iron stop falling when you’re mid column. Crank like hell and come tight - love it! Congratulations!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
    Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Living in Costa Mesa I Understand completely with the frustration driving to SD from OC. However the pain can be mitigated by avoiding travel on any Friday. That traffic destined for TJ and points beyond is nothing short of spectacular.
    But it's a Catch 22 as Friday departures of the fleet are prime dates for the start of tuna hunts. So my best suggestion, not ideal but tolerable, is on
    Fridays you have to be on the road no later then 1:30 pm thus avoiding the majority of the aggravation. The down side is the time gap between arrival in SD and departure time. Go to a movie, hit a Sushi Bar, play some Poker
    Friday is the worst, any other day leaving at 3-4 pm presents minimal grief.

Walt
    Also in Costa Mesa, and I always leave by 1pm for San Diego trips. Retired,
    I know all can't do this if working 4-5pm somewhere, but a LOT less stress.

Upvote 0