Pacific Queen goes legendary!!!

Singhdrew an

Apr 8, 2017
Southern California
Name
Singhdrew an
Boat
--
This is my first post on BD, but I was also on this trip. Pretty epic. I also may have been the guy who let you borrow my setup, but my name isn't Alex haha. Either way, it's always nice to help each other out when we can. I hooked up both my bluefin on the retrieve. Fish were between 180 and 320 feet deep. First fish I hooked in the eyeball with a 250g shimano flat fall with a 13/0 VMC 7264 hook re rigged with 500lb kevlar assist cord tied directly to a the solid ring (the jig itself is attached by split ring). After I let *I assume this gentleman* borrow my setup, the crew gave me their setup with the worn out daiwa SK with 0 paint on it. Got smashed on the retrieve on my first drop. After that, I was done fishing and just enjoyed watching everyone else hook up and land fish. Here are some of my pictures.

20190501_211541.jpg 20190501_221435.jpg 20190501_225536.jpg

dctalk523

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 28, 2007
County of Orange
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
This is my first post on BD, but I was also on this trip. Pretty epic. I also may have been the guy who let you borrow my setup, but my name isn't Alex haha. Either way, it's always nice to help each other out when we can. I hooked up both my bluefin on the retrieve. Fish were between 180 and 320 feet deep. First fish I hooked in the eyeball with a 250g shimano flat fall with a 13/0 VMC 7264 hook re rigged with 500lb kevlar assist cord tied directly to a the solid ring (the jig itself is attached by split ring). After I let *I assume this gentleman* borrow my setup, the crew gave me their setup with the worn out daiwa SK with 0 paint on it. Got smashed on the retrieve on my first drop. After that, I was done fishing and just enjoyed watching everyone else hook up and land fish. Here are some of my pictures.

View attachment 1022198 View attachment 1022199 View attachment 1022200
:appl:

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Epic! Most of the flatfall bites on the sink or on the wind? How deep were the fish approximately?
My fish were mainly on the sink about 200 - 250 feet deep. Casting down swell, then drifting towards the sinking lure helped, as my bites were coming right as the lure came straight up and down. As soon as it would stop sinking, just wind like hell and keep winding until line was being ripped off the reel. No need to set back.

P

Paddyman1

Crazy awesome trip! After the past few years, I feel like these fish have found a new home in SoCal. Just need to keep our over-seas neighbors and there nets out of our backyard now.

Ps- I’d be happy with that cute little yellowtail in the foreground.

Reactions: madisonnoel

jughead

Jun 10, 2006
Alpine
Name
John
Boat
24 Seaswirl striper
Congratulations to all!!! The old Glory also caught flatfall limits about a month ago when this bite first started. How long was the fight on the cow that was caught?

madisonnoel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 2, 2005
san diego
Name
matt
Boat
24' skipjack gone Outer Banks Boat Club all the way
Congratulations to all!!! The old Glory also caught flatfall limits about a month ago when this bite first started. How long was the fight on the cow that was caught?
It was around a 1 hour and 20 minutes give or take 10 minutes. What’s crazy is that he caught with 60lb line.

madisonnoel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 2, 2005
san diego
Name
matt
Boat

View attachment 1022198 View attachment 1022199 View attachment 1022200
Sorry about getting your name wrong but I do remember what a great person you are. I was impressed by how you have a high paying Job, and and leaving that to join the military to fly helicopters. I remember that you leave in August the day before your birthday for a 2 year flight school in Alabama. I should have still remembered your name, so for now on I will say,” I stood by the railing of the boat knowing I did not have the right gear when out of the dark comes one of the anglers , and hands me his rod and reel and says you go get yourself one of those bluefin. I stop for one second and I look back and said who do I thank for this, and all he says, “ I’m Ron Burgundy you stay classy.”
Thank you again for the set up and thank you for your service.

Singhdrew an

Apr 8, 2017
Southern California
Name
Singhdrew an
Boat
--
Sorry about getting your name wrong but I do remember what a great person you are. I was impressed by how you have a high paying Job, and and leaving that to join the military to fly helicopters. I remember that you leave in August the day before your birthday for a 2 year flight school in Alabama. I should have still remembered your name, so for now on I will say,” I stood by the railing of the boat knowing I did not have the right gear when out of the dark comes one of the anglers , and hands me his rod and reel and says you go get yourself one of those bluefin. I stop for one second and I look back and said who do I thank for this, and all he says, “ I’m Ron Burgundy you stay classy.”
Thank you again for the set up and thank you for your service.
Just rearrange the letters in my username and you'll get my name ;). It was great fishing with you too, brother. Thank you for your service as well!

Bob_NH

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 21, 2015
New Hampshire
Name
Bob
Boat
N/A
These reports are making for a LONG spring up here in rainsville. ;-)

Early July for us at best, maybe longer due to the shit winter.

It’s amazing you are hooking fish at that depth. Here in Wicked Tuna country we are seldom in more than 220’, and fish no deeper than half that. Would not want to have to work those slobs up from that depth, dead boat no less. Ouch!

Capt. Bob

SeacoastNHSportfishing

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
These reports are making for a LONG spring up here in rainsville. ;-)

Early July for us at best, maybe longer due to the shit winter.

It’s amazing you are hooking fish at that depth. Here in Wicked Tuna country we are seldom in more than 220’, and fish no deeper than half that. Would not want to have to work those slobs up from that depth, dead boat no less. Ouch!

Capt. Bob

SeacoastNHSportfishing
Well it ranges from ~2500' to 5000' deep where they are fishing, so if you ask the tuna they would probably say that they are pretty shallow :D

madisonnoel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 2, 2005
san diego
Name
matt
Boat
Just rearrange the letters in my username and you'll get my name ;). It was great fishing with you too, brother. Thank you for your service as well!
Thanks Andrew Enjoy flight school you worked hard to get there.

PATYMELTER1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 31, 2014
PLEASANTON, CA.
Name
PATRICK
Boat
SECOND CHANCE
I was on the trip too, absolutely EPIC!!! At 11:00 pm I was still skunked, but by 1:30 am I had gone 7 for 10 helping fill out the boat limits. Regarding the lures, they didn't care if they were glow in the dark or not. I tried using a glow in the dark 250 gram flat fall that I modified with a big swash hook, but I think the swash affects the action. I wasted 1.5 hours on that lure watching others hook up right and left. Finally
I borrowed a boat rod that had a beat up Diawa SK, it was instant action bit on the sink. After killing that fish, and someone just hooked one on a heavy 7X, and since I didn't have any non-modified flat falls, I went to a blue/white Sales 6x jr. as it was my only heavy iron I brought. I tied it straight to my 80 lb test, big mistake. Instant hook up on the sink, but it immediately bit through. What worked was borrowing a standard flat fall from the crew, tied on 200 lb test leader, and I had 5 straight drops and 5 straight fish, all on the sink - Incredible. On my 10th hookup of the night the flat fall in the photo found it's freedom as my fish was sawed off at gaff, so if anyone finds this flat fall in a bluefin belly please return it as it was borrowed.

Captain Gavin never gives up, huge shout out to the crew!!

View attachment 1022047 View attachment 1022048

I’ve fished with Don.....die hard fish killer.

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
Did the cow come in on the AM bite or PM bite??
We stopped on a school around 5:00 pm and it yielded the cow along with the other two slugs of 126 and 130. All on flatfalls or Diawa SK jigs. Don’t forget the 200 lb fluro leader at all times.

Reactions: Mk6_Robbie
Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
We stopped on a school around 5:00 pm and it yielded the cow along with the other two slugs of 126 and 130. All on flatfalls or Diawa SK jigs. Don’t forget the 200 lb fluro leader at all times.
Gotcha!
I will be riding this boat leaving May 10th...
I hope I can hook a big girl to redeem myself for last week's humbling trip...

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Saved by the bell, that's hanging in there until the last minute, unreal!

Reactions: Tunahead