PENN

Kingskilla

May 25, 2015
USSSSA
Name
Scott
Boat
Cornbread
Awesome trip and report thanks for the write up. Couple quick questions if ya don't mind as I am headed out on a 2 day Thursday. I plan on fish Jigs basically non stop at night and sleeping during the day. Obviously depending on the bite. I've got this purple/black flashlight for charging the glow jigs. How imperative was it in your experience to keep that thing glowing? or did it not really matter? Tight lines my brotha.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
If you didn't have pics I'd call you a Dreamer. Man what an awesome trip, Guys used to go 8-16 day trips for that kind of action. You and the rest of the lucky guys on that trip will be talking about that trip for a long long time. Congratulations and Thanks for the Great Report!

Upvote 0

Charlesregan

Jun 6, 2012
Mission Viejo
Name
CHARLES REGAN
Boat
Not yet!!
Congrats on your epic trip. That was an insane night bite you guys were on. Mike was telling us that Gavin had 10 going and later the most epic bite ever. My brother and I were on the Tomahawk next to you guys and while we didn’t get a wide open bite, we picked at them. I used the knife jig in glow and got two 110 pound cookie cutters between 1:30 and 4:00. Couple cows on the kite in the early AM 6:30-8, on Monday bit the popsicle too. The group of anglers on the Tomahawk were inexperienced, we should have had waaay more fish from that Sunday night bite.

D7412D2D-9528-45D1-9D54-96A4EF0EDCD1.jpeg

355B5DE3-1126-4478-B0FF-356AD8F29AD4.jpeg

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Awesome trip and report thanks for the write up. Couple quick questions if ya don't mind as I am headed out on a 2 day Thursday. I plan on fish Jigs basically non stop at night and sleeping during the day. Obviously depending on the bite. I've got this purple/black flashlight for charging the glow jigs. How imperative was it in your experience to keep that thing glowing? or did it not really matter? Tight lines my brotha.
Hey, sure NP. I never used a glow in the dark jig, although other guys did. For that scenario it was about getting the jig in front of them at the right time. So time at the rail was more imperative than color and glow action. I used the Daiwa SK & Saltoga jigs, and the Nomad slow pitch vertical jigs.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Congrats on your epic trip. That was an insane night bite you guys were on. Mike was telling us that Gavin had 10 going and later the most epic bite ever. My brother and I were on the Tomahawk next to you guys and while we didn’t get a wide open bite, we picked at them. I used the knife jig in glow and got two 110 pound cookie cutters between 1:30 and 4:00. Couple cows on the kite in the early AM 6:30-8, on Monday bit the popsicle too. The group of anglers on the Tomahawk were inexperienced, we should have had waaay more fish from that Sunday night bite.

View attachment 1290392

View attachment 1290393
Nice work bro, way to go! I am still looking to fish the Tomahawk..

Upvote 0

aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
[QUOTE="Kingskilla, post: 5403082, member: 182049" How imperative was it in your experience to keep that thing glowing? or did it not really matter? Tight lines my brotha.
[/QUOTE]

Glow didn’t matter at all for my boys and I. My youngest was using a non glow knife jig and was the first one of us to get bit. He hooked 5 and only one was on a glow and I don’t think he even charged it.

Robert

Upvote 0

aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
Awesome wright up
Awesome wright up

Not only was it an incredible write up but an amazing accomplishment. We were half way home from this trip when a friend texted us congratulating us on an epic trip. WTF? How did they know? Jumped on BD and saw this post. I could barely keep my eyes open let alone put pen to paper. Great job OP!

Upvote 0

aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
BTW it’s nice to know how deep you are fishing by marking your line. In the beginning the fish were holding @ 300’ and if you didn’t get down far enough you weren’t getting bit. Using a heavy jig (my boys and I were using 300g jigs) and having your line marked (we use a magic marker) you were confident you were in the right zone.

Upvote 0

Jankity

Apr 23, 2019
Modesto, CA
Name
Gurjeet S. Rai
Boat
Thunderjet
I was out on this trip too with my cousin. The fish were big and mean! I fished 80lb rig with 200lb crimped flat fall 250g-300g. Could only manage to put one of those big ones on deck each. I hooked 3 more that night, that wouldn't give me an inch. 1 came unbuttoned, but two broke off at the hull after doing some wild runs next to the boat. I wouldn't go back without a 100lb rig for jigs. The energy expended on these
pac queen 21.jpg
lost fish is crazy!

BGM

Mar 22, 2021
Folsom
Name
Bruce G Martell
Boat
Jupiter
Awesome trip guys and great report with pics. Also thanks for the jig low down, I'm about to place an order for all the jigs you guys used. Good Job.

BGM

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0