bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Hey all,

Wanted to pass along a trip report that hopefully will help anyone headed out soon, and to share how ridiculous this trip was.

Short version:

Boat limits for the trip. Between 1:30AM and 5:00AM we caught 44 fish, 30 from 100-190lbs, and 5 fish over 200lbs. 80% jig fish, 20% sinker rig. Throughout the day we caught school size fish up to 90lbs by flyline.

Long version:

Departed Sunday night with a windy forecast and Captain Drew and Billy driving. On our way out Drew let us know that we would be fishing the same area with everyone else and that we would be looking by midnight. The forecast was pretty windy and He mentioned in passing that everyone should get what rest they could, bc it was going to be a long 36 hours, boy he was right.

We woke top and started fishing around 12:00AM, and caught two decent fish by Jigs. Around 1:30AM we stopped on a really big school and started dropping jigs. Because it was a swift current and windy, the crew rightly told everyone to stick with heavy jigs and sinker rigs. At first they were not responding, and then one bit, two bit and it seemed to settle into a typical night bite where you grind away hoping for that one bite of a nice grade fish.

That wasn’t the case at all. At around two thirty this school decided it was time to go buck-wild in the dark.

They were big, they were mean, and most of the time they didn’t give a hoot what you dropped down, they were there to show us who the boss was. Almost like a coordinated ambush, the Portside exploded with 6 bites at once, and they were all over 100lb fish. There was 4-8 fish going the whole time. At one point you could not drop down your jig because there was 11 big fish going on the drift side of the boat. Most fish were 100-160lbs with standouts up 210lbs. My friend caught two fish just under 200, handed off four others, and it got so busy for the crew he started helping them untangle, gaff, and tag fish. The crew was working so hard that there were fish lying everywhere, the bow was covered in big fish, the sides, and the stern was loaded. At one point I was in the stern fighting a fish and literally sat on a 100lber to work the rail. I had a slow start but finished strong. I hooked up 5 times on that stop, at one point it was 3 casts, 3 bites back to back. I landed two of them. Two of the there fish I lost were definitely bigger, I was fishing 100lb outfit and they still had long runs. The two I landed were 115 & 130lbs, super grateful.

We probably hooked 60 or 70 fish, there were a lot of tangles and people getting sawed off. It happens.

Intel:

What accounted for the majority of the bites was heavy jigs 250-350 grams and even above, a few were caught on the large knife jigs. Because of the wind, It was easier to get a heavy jig straight down to the zone, which made a huge difference. Flatfalls and the Daiwa Saltiga and SK jigs in multiple colors was the ticket. My buddy and I fished the Daiwa jigs and got bit 11 times, I definitely think the skinnier knife jigs are the hot ticket right now.

I fished 100lb mono with a 130lb leader on a Mak 20 and did not let the 130 lb fish peel drag hardly at all, when we retrieved the jig it was bent into a horseshoe at the bottom from the pressure, pretty amazing.

During the day we got on schools with smaller fish mixed in with bugger models and had decent stops on fly lined baits which was a nice break form the evening before. I did get hammered by a larger model on 30lb test, mercifully the line broke and saved me from being tortured on the wrong gear.

What worked:

At night a heavy outfit with a jig you’re willing to commit to, simple as that really. I never fished below 80lb. Those Diawa jigs did it for me. During the day sinker rigs worked, a 30lb flylined rig got me 4 school size fish throughout the afternoon.

What didn’t work:

Light set ups. It blows my mind how often anglers disregard the direction to stay with heavy gear. All morning and night I watched people witness a 125 lb fish come over the rail, and decide to throw their 30 lb set up and wonder why their 90 minute ride through hell ends in losing their fish lol.

At the end of it, Captain Drew said that was the best 1.5 day trip the Pacific Queen has ever had. The back-up Billy said in 40 years he’s never seen a school of large fish so wide open for so long. There are so many schools of large fish around it’s min boggling. The crew did what they always do, and did it well as usual.

Hope this helps, plus, I had to share the story.

IMG_2931.jpeg

IMG_2939.jpeg

IMG_2967.jpeg

IMG_0574.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Koyote

Hooked
Oct 18, 2018
Menifee
Name
Z.
Boat
Yours
That's right Bloody decks! Nice report I like the making use of the decked fish at the rail sounds like a sick trip, as the Pac.Queen is known for ! I got lucky enough to get on for this Thursday night trip its only an overnight but its the Pac.Queen so I have high hopes.

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
That's right Bloody decks! Nice report I like the making use of the decked fish at the rail sounds like a sick trip, as the Pac.Queen is known for ! I got lucky enough to get on for this Thursday night trip its only an overnight but its the Pac.Queen so I have high hopes.
The fish are still well within one day range!

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Wow and insane.... Great report thank you for that, I'm out next Wednesday night on a1.5 hoping for half of that...

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Hey all,

Wanted to pass along a trip report that hopefully will help anyone headed out soon, and to share how ridiculous this trip was.

Short version:

Boat limits for the trip. Between 1:30AM and 5:00AM we caught 44 fish, 30 from 100-190lbs, and 5 fish over 200lbs. 80% jig fish, 20% sinker rig. Throughout the day we caught school size fish up to 90lbs by flyline.

Long version:

Departed Sunday night with a windy forecast and Captain Drew and Billy driving. On our way out Drew let us know that we would be fishing the same area with everyone else and that we would be looking by midnight. The forecast was pretty windy and He mentioned in passing that everyone should get what rest they could, bc it was going to be a long 36 hours, boy he was right.

We woke top and started fishing around 12:00AM, and caught two decent fish by Jigs. Around 1:30AM we stopped on a really big school and started dropping jigs. Because it was a swift current and windy, the crew rightly told everyone to stick with heavy jigs and sinker rigs. At first they were not responding, and then one bit, two bit and it seemed to settle into a typical night bite where you grind away hoping for that one bite of a nice grade fish.

That wasn’t the case at all. At around two thirty this school decided it was time to go buck-wild in the dark.

They were big, they were mean, and most of the time they didn’t give a hoot what you dropped down, they were there to show us who the boss was. Almost like a coordinated ambush, the Portside exploded with 6 bites at once, and they were all over 100lb fish. There was 4-8 fish going the whole time. At one point you could not drop down your jig because there was 11 big fish going on the drift side of the boat. Most fish were 100-160lbs with standouts up 210lbs. My friend caught two fish just under 200, handed off four others, and it got so busy for the crew he started helping them untangle, gaff, and tag fish. The crew was working so hard that there were fish lying everywhere, the bow was covered in big fish, the sides, and the stern was loaded. At one point I was in the stern fighting a fish and literally sat on a 100lber to work the rail. I had a slow start but finished strong. I hooked up 5 times on that stop, at one point it was 3 casts, 3 bites back to back. I landed two of them. Two of the there fish I lost were definitely bigger, I was fishing 100lb outfit and they still had long runs. The two I landed were 115 & 130lbs, super grateful.

We probably hooked 60 or 70 fish, there were a lot of tangles and people getting sawed off. It happens.

Intel:

What accounted for the majority of the bites was heavy jigs 250-350 grams and even above, a few were caught on the large knife jigs. Because of the wind, It was easier to get a heavy jig straight down to the zone, which made a huge difference. Flatfalls and the Daiwa Saltiga and SK jigs in multiple colors was the ticket. My buddy and I fished the Daiwa jigs and got bit 11 times, I definitely think the skinnier knife jigs are the hot ticket right now.

I fished 100lb mono with a 130lb leader on a Mak 20 and did not let the 130 lb fish peel drag hardly at all, when we retrieved the jig it was bent into a horseshoe at the bottom from the pressure, pretty amazing.

During the day we got on schools with smaller fish mixed in with bugger models and had decent stops on fly lined baits which was a nice break form the evening before. I did get hammered by a larger model on 30lb test, mercifully the line broke and saved me from being tortured on the wrong gear.

What worked:

At night a heavy outfit with a jig you’re willing to commit to, simple as that really. I never fished below 80lb. Those Diawa jigs did it for me. During the day sinker rigs worked, a 30lb flylined rig got me 4 school size fish throughout the afternoon.

What didn’t work:

Light set ups. It blows my mind how often anglers disregard the direction to stay with heavy gear. All morning and night I watched people witness a 125 lb fish come over the rail, and decide to throw their 30 lb set up and wonder why their 90 minute ride through hell ends in losing their fish lol.

At the end of it, Captain Drew said that was the best 1.5 day trip the Pacific Queen has ever had. The back-up Billy said in 40 years he’s never seen a school of large fish so wide open for so long. There are so many schools of large fish around it’s min boggling. The crew did what they always do, and did it well as usual.

View attachment 1290082

View attachment 1290083

View attachment 1290084

View attachment 1290085
    :appl:

Reactions: Maka61808

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat
    Me yak fer now
    thats the kinda trip you hope for!!!!! I wish I would have taken a late spring early june trip!!!!! great job, great report

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Hey all,

Short version:

Long version:

Intel:

What worked:

What didn’t work:

View attachment 1290082

View attachment 1290083

View attachment 1290084

View attachment 1290085
    What a trip!
    Sound advice on the gear--especially the light gear. Funny how often fisherpeople need to learn that the hard way.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT AND PICS...and NICE FISH everyone.
    GLAD you all had a great limits trip. COOL. That
    boat has always been "Fishy". I caught my 1st everything with the Original Owner, Legend Capt. Eddie McEwen out of the old Pacific Landing in
    Long Beach. Long History PQ. LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0