Pacific Queen 7/13-7/15 Trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by bohuntr, Jul 18, 2018.

1. bohuntr

bohuntr Newbie

Name:
    Bill Tittle
    Boat:
    None
    To start out with I am new to this bluefin/yellowfin tuna fishing. I have fished freshwater extensively throughout my life but, just getting into this saltwater fishing. Three years ago I moved to San Jose, CA from Atlanta GA. I have done some salmon fishing on the charters out of Berkley.

I will tell you I am hooked on this Tuna fishing! I read many of your posts on the appropriate gear, tackle, modifying flat-falls, etc. I want to say thank you to all who provided input on my gear selections. I bought five different 2 speed Shimano reels from the Talica 16's to the Talica 20's. I paired the reels up with the appropriate Calstar rods per the member suggestions on this forum. I even brazed solid rings added single hooks with trailers and crimped 150 lb leader on shimano flat falls.

Again thank you for all the input.

The story to follow was absolutely unbelievable.

On Friday 7/13 evening we left the dock and headed out on the Pacific Queen. Captain Gavin said fishing has been slow with some good sized bluefin's being caught. Saturday throughout the day we "runned and gunned" chasing boiling schools of 10-30 lb bluefins. 8 out of the 30 fisherman caught small bluefins. It took a couple hours for me to get the feel of flylining but I soon picked it up and gained confidence. I was using my 40lb and 60 lb outfits off and on. We had to go down to 25lb flouro leader with #2 hooks to get the few fish that were caught. The boat was running a kite with a yummy flyer and we caught 3 jumbo bluefins with two over 140lbs and one over 200lbs. We ate dinner that evening and headed towards San Clemente.

This is where the caos begins. At 12:30 am the night captain, Captain Dave was hollering for help landing a jumbo bluefin he caught on a flat fall. The fish was one of the many caught over 143 lbs on this trip. I threw on my boots and ran up top grabbed my 80lb outfit with the Talica 20 II and modified flatfall. I had marked my MaxCuatro at 20, 30 and 50 fathoms as I had read on this forum. The Captain said the school was at 180 feet...perfect...I had that marked. I dropped my flat fall to 30 fathoms made 4 cranks of the reel and slam the fish engulfed my flatfall. Remember this is the first time I had been at the rail with a fish of this size. The deckhands coached me for the next 1 hour and 15 mins through the battle. The fish took over 200+ yards 3 times throughout the battle. Finally we get the fish to the boat and one of the deckhands said the tuna was one of the biggest they had to the boat this year. He thought easily top 250lbs. The fish was making large circles at the boat and we eased the drag lever forward to gain some more line on the tiring jumbo tuna. At 6' from the boat with 2 gaffs in the water and another deckhand with a gaff at the ready the 80lb braid cleanly snapped and the fish was gone.

I had the fight of my life and was worn out by the end of the fight. We had 11 fish hooked up that night on flat falls. 2 of the 11 made it in the boat one just under 250lbs and another was in the upper 100's maybe 170 or 180lbs.

We fished Sunday with a kite and Yummy flyer drawing numbers for the lucky fisherman to do battle with these jumbo tuna. We ended up with 12 bluefin between 143 lbs and 281lbs. What an unbelievable trip. My hats off to Gavin and his crew. The entire crew was unbelievable and worked flawlessly together.

I realize now a Talica 20II and Calstar 7470xH 80lb max rod was way undergunned for these large bluefins. So today I upgraded to Talica 50 II and a 7470xxxH. If I ever have a chance to tangle with one of these cows again I will be better prepared for the battle. Oh by the way I am going to Izorline Spectra. I am all done with the Max Cuatro. A confidence thing, I am sure Max Cuatro is good line but I am really struggling how 80 lb can snap like that with a Talica 20II with maybe 27lbs of drag.

I am sold and will be back many times on Pacific Queen as well as other boats chasing these tuna! Thanks again to all those who contribute to this forum. I would never have had the opportunity to tangle with a cow on Saturday night with out the help of all of you! fish2.JPEG

Here is a pic of all the big fish caught on this trip.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. yrd

yrd BS on no pics ..!.,

Name:
    Ted
    Boat:
    anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
    was it at the knot, just a straight cut or frayed?
    There is not much stretch in spectra. For this reason I have 50-100' of Mono on top of my braided line just for stretch and abrasion resistance in case it rubs on the bottom of the boat...just saying
    Congrats on a great trip and write-up, you'll get em next time

bdubs73 likes this.
  3. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Love your passion and smarts. You are probably in San Jose for that reason. Sounds like you left nothing to chance. Sometimes the fish wins. Great report!!

locvetter and freegaff2 like this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Nice work! Next time you will stick that beast!

BTW, I'm not particularly a fan of max-quatro either, I feel like its basically IFGA level spectra but not marketed as such, most all spectra brands way over test, most 65 breaks around 90ish lbs and 80 even higher still. Same with most mono as well so when using max cuatro you have to keep that in mind. Regular power-pro is rope and over tests significantly.

27lbs of drag doesn't factor in instant sharp changes in stress. If you threw a 27lb weight off a roof connected to your rod, the line would likely snap before the drag could "catch up" and accommodate the pull.

5. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Great report and huge heartbreak! Thanks!

6. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I suppose that’s why Loc is breaking stuff. :)

Congrats on getting out there, at least you got to engage.
    Bummer about the broken line and the lost fish! When are you going back?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    locvetter and tunacraze like this.
  7. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Reminds me of a plus 100# fish that i caught on 40#. One deck gaffed it and i relaxed the bend in the rod, and the fish took off and got off the gaff, snap... Just 14# of drag.

bohuntr, freegaff2 and SouthBayKiller like this.
  8. bohuntr

bohuntr Newbie

Name:
    Bill Tittle
    Boat:
    None
    I do think it was a straight cut or seperation. There wasn’t any fray in the braid. Definitely not a knot. Who knows the tuna could have rubbed against the hull with his circles and caused the braid to fail. Maybe my inexperience and the “no stretch” of the braid caused the failure. On my Talica 50 II I did as you suggest an add a 50 yard mono topshot. Thanks for the tip!

locvetter, Tackleho619 and bdubs73 like this.
  9. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Great write up and welcome to a lifetime obsession. If there is any upside to losing that fish it's that you will certainly have a drive to increase in your knowledge and skill level for the rest of your life right? It really sounds like you came more prepared than many anglers do on 2 day trips, sometimes the big ones just get away.
    You know I posted a report on a 186b fish I picked up on a Taclica 16II using 80lb Izorline braid and a topshot of 80lb Izorline mono. I swear by Izorline, always have and will from now on especially. That particular fish was really mellow at gaff though..
    I hope you have another trip planned. I actually think the fall is going to be much more consistent with these guys..

10. bohuntr

bohuntr Newbie

Name:
    Bill Tittle
    Boat:
    None
    September 11th trip back on the Pacific Queen.

11. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I like it!

12. tunacraze

tunacraze Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brunton
    Boat:
    The Big Ones
    Sounds like you did everything right. I've gone back and forth on mono or no mono for a few years now. I still don't have an answer. Nobody can ever take that story away from you though! Good luck in September....they'll still be here.

locvetter likes this.
  13. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  14. richardblufin

richardblufin Member

Name:
    Richard Jones
    Boat:
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    CaptGavin,johnO on deck and The PQ what a deadly combo.

15. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Your braid twists with the death spirals and at the end of the fight the twists stack up. It is worth using a swivel to a bite leader for me, although it is 2 more points of potential failure. I'm sure that was art of the problem on the 250lb or so fish I lost at gaff too, but that was on 50lb spectra.

16. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Great report. I'm also in the Bay Area. Lets grab a beer some time at Bass Pro Shops