Pacific Queen 6/30

phreakus

Sep 3, 2014
Name
Eric
Boat
The Nonexistent
It was our first ride out on a 1.5 on the Pacific Queen. We left the harbor a little late on Friday night but it was worth the wait. Gavin and team did a great job putting us on the fish. We boated 53 bft (#20-#35) and a hand full of smaller yellowtails. Most of the yellowtails were caught on the surface iron, scrambled egg and anything mint seemed to be getting the job done. We had a few bft on the red and white poppers as well. The remainder of the bluefin were split between morning and evening catches on the glow flatfalls (200g-250g seemed to be the ticket) and scratching away during the daylight hours flylining a dine on the light stuff. #20-25 flouro with a #1 hook was key to getting bit. We did have a couple of people that lost flatfall fish due to stock hooks getting straightened out.

Seems like we spent most the day with the Coranado's in view on the horizon. Lots of the 3/4 day boats out there.

We had a great time out on the Pacific Queen. The crew was excellent and really helped to make it a successful trip. I can't thank them enough and can't wait to get back out there.

the_tunaman

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
PQ has one of the best captain/crew combinations of the entire local fleet! Gavin and Billy are an awesome one-two punch, and Mike, Johnny, Nathan and Jerrod are superlative crew members who don't miss a beat!

We just got back last night from an overnight with them, and while the trip was full and the bluefin were typical, they did an amazing job managing the passengers. The tuna were a little bigger models, but were typically finicky and mostly required light line, so there were some epic losses.

I look forward to fishing the PQ many more times this season, and it will always be at the top of my list for a short trip out of San Diego.

eric harner

Caliente Tuna
Oct 7, 2009
Phoenix Hellazona
Name
Azlandlocked
Boat
RRII, PV, the Big X
Got a three day in early August coming up on the PQ . Locked & loaded for anything from a football to a cow. Feel like I'm headed to the lower banks on a 14 day trip less the wahoo jigs. Keeping my fingers crossed the tuna gods will favor us. Thank you for the report !

Reactions: rick Jackson