Offshore Pacific Queen 6/26/21 limits by 1pm

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Booked in February and got to hop on the fishiest boat in the fleet. It was Captain Billy at the helm as we saw Gavin boarding the Pegasus to go fishing on his day off.. lol. Cruised 20 miles or so offshore and started fishing flat falls around 1:00am. No takers for me so went to sleep around 2. Woke up at 5:30 to find out someone landed a 150lb model on a flat fall.

Morning was a stead bite on the 20-30lbers and got one almost instantly on flyline 20lb flouro. Most of the guys were using 40 and one guy got a couple on 80lb.. pretty wild.

Did that until around 11am and made a move and the 50-60lbers started show. Mine came around noon and weighed just under 60 on the 5 star scale. Caught on 40lb flouro with flylined sardine with a Torque 25N on a Seeker 6470XH. Me being an idiot didn’t use a reel clamp and didn’t tighten the reel seat so the Torque fell off right when the fish made it’s initial run. Luckily I didn’t have the drag pinned down so I caught the reel and the deck hand helped me put it back on. Horsed the fish in after 15min fight in low gear.

B87B93CA-FFD3-4A5C-9C4D-32C14EBC22B5.jpeg

Then at 1pm or so Captain said we reached our passenger limits so we would only hunt for big ones so I took a nap. Didn’t find a school until 8pm or so when we got 2 biters when the larger fish got broke off and the one that came in was 30lber. I figured I couldn’t take a large model home since my cooler is now full so I broke down my gear and called it quits. Then around 9:30 or so the cows started to bite and we landed another 8 of these.

AA97A6D0-C9D3-42C3-8648-5D3D1CC7B107.jpeg

All in all I think the total count was around 80 BFt so with the passenger + crew limits, everyone went home with some quality fish.

C90BDEE4-86C1-4369-ABBB-E20E4D67116C.jpeg

Checked in with 5 star at around 7:00am got some breakfast and the fish was ready by 9:00am. These guys work their tails off.

62B7D4C0-5F1C-4AAA-AB60-9EC42ED0445C.jpeg

It was a blast fishing with my old buddy Jay and his brother Patrick.

Thanks to Captain Billy for putting us on the fish who is the 2nd captain behind Gavin. Tells you something about the operation when the 2nd captain had limits by 1pm and finds 8 trophies to cap an epic day. No wonder why they’re fully booked until November.

Thanks to Dave who made some bomb grub, Luke for helping me with the
    reel, and Johnny for helping me land the fish. Special thanks to the deckie in the pic who gaffed the fish.. sorry I forgot your name. I’m a douche.

J
    Jeffreysd
    Thanks for sharing, my father and I will be onboard Tuesday night. It’s been years since we’ve fished together, can’t wait!
    Upvote 0

110yd

Almost A Member
    May 14, 2004
    Orange
    Name
    110yd
    Boat
    none
    Booked in February and got to hop on the fishiest boat in the fleet. It was Captain Billy at the helm as we saw Gavin boarding the Pegasus to go fishing on his day off.. lol. Cruised 20 miles or so offshore and started fishing flat falls around 1:00am. No takers for me so went to sleep around 2. Woke up at 5:30 to find out someone landed a 150lb model on a flat fall.

Morning was a stead bite on the 20-30lbers and got one almost instantly on flyline 20lb flouro. Most of the guys were using 40 and one guy got a couple on 80lb.. pretty wild.

Did that until around 11am and made a move and the 50-60lbers started show. Mine came around noon and weighed just under 60 on the 5 star scale. Caught on 40lb flouro with flylined sardine with a Torque 25N on a Seeker 6470XH. Me being an idiot didn’t use a reel clamp and didn’t tighten the reel seat so the Torque fell off right when the fish made it’s initial run. Luckily I didn’t have the drag pinned down so I caught the reel and the deck hand helped me put it back on. Horsed the fish in after 15min fight in low gear.

View attachment 1293628

Then at 1pm or so Captain said we reached our passenger limits so we would only hunt for big ones so I took a nap. Didn’t find a school until 8pm or so when we got 2 biters when the larger fish got broke off and the one that came in was 30lber. I figured I couldn’t take a large model home since my cooler is now full so I broke down my gear and called it quits. Then around 9:30 or so the cows started to bite and we landed another 8 of these.

View attachment 1293643

All in all I think the total count was around 80 BFt so with the passenger + crew limits, everyone went home with some quality fish.

View attachment 1293644

Checked in with 5 star at around 7:00am got some breakfast and the fish was ready by 9:00am. These guys work their tails off.

View attachment 1293645

It was a blast fishing with my old buddy Jay and his brother Patrick.

Thanks to Captain Billy for putting us on the fish who is the 2nd captain behind Gavin. Tells you something about the operation when the 2nd captain had limits by 1pm and finds 8 trophies to cap an epic day. No wonder why they’re fully booked until November.

Thanks to Dave who made some bomb grub, Luke for helping me with the
    reel, and Johnny for helping me land the fish. Special thanks to the deckie in the pic who gaffed the fish.. sorry I forgot your name. I’m a douche.
    The deckhand in the photo is Bobby....No doubt the Pacific Queen is a super fishy boat. From top to bottom every position has serious 5 star talent. I consider Gavin and Billy the "Magic Johnsons" of the Bluefin world. They just flat out get it done ---on a regular basis..

2S4A0499.jpg

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT Info,pics and NICE FISH everyone! Solid work. Seems no shortage of Bluefin out there.
    The Queen has always been "Fishy" since I started fishing it age 13 with original owner, the Legendary Eddie McEwen out of the old Pacific Landing in Long Beach. About 1960. Glad you all had a great trip. LOL

Reactions: chilidip and anemic
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Looks like some good extras in this bucket. Collars, rib meat, etc.

What do they do with this stuff??

View attachment 1293713

Not exactly sure. Here’s the other side of the facility. The grey bin to the far left is also lined with plastic and that’s where the heads go. Looks as though they are sorting the parts for some purpose. Perhaps someone on this board that are close to Drew and/or Markus may know?

B2106699-8266-48FA-B77F-3D9BB70AE052.jpeg

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Looks like some good extras in this bucket. Collars, rib meat, etc.

What do they do with this stuff??

View attachment 1293713

I don't know but what they should be doing is dumping it in Newsom and Pelosi's front yards - if they can get past the walls...
    :D

Upvote 0

djek81

Jun 4, 2020
    los angeles
    Name
    yellowfintail
    Boat
    h&m landing
    I was right next to you when your reel popped out from your rod. I am glad the deckhand was near and helped you pick it up while the reel was still screaming. It was nice meeting/sharing the rail with someone who works on the same industry.

Reactions: chilidip
    Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    I was right next to you when your reel popped out from your rod. I am glad the deckhand was near and helped you pick it up while the reel was still screaming. It was nice meeting/sharing the rail with someone who works on the same industry.

Yeah, it was stupid rookie mistake for sure. It was great to meet you too! Hope to share the rail again.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    Is this Captain Billy a Point Loma High graduate from 1978 ?

Upvote 0