Crash

Feb 27, 2004
Mountain View CA
Visit site
Name
Robert Young
Boat
20' Skippy
My very first LR trip was on the PQ more than 25 years ago, one of the passengers on that trip was David Choate and unknown to me was on this one as well very nostalgic. This year I have fished 4ea three day trips chasing the BFT on the Royal Star and Polaris Supreme with less than stellar results bringing back personal low counts of 40-80# fish. As many of you have experienced the trip before and after are a knockout always leaving you wondering if you are snake bit or living your life wrong.

We had an amazing crew of fishers with a group of eight from the Bay Area that were mostly first timers, THAT GUY missed the boat so we had no drama at all the vibe on deck was perfect. Two of that group were tiny little gals over 50 that absolutely jumped ALL IN sucking up instruction and grinding at the rail from grey light to 2am and were reward with many large fish. Weather was up for SoCal waters :-) blowing 10 at the receiver and 15-20 off San Clemente luckily the swell was not bad and spread out.

Left the bait barge noonish with the best swimmers I have seen, a quick 30 mile run out to the grounds and we were fishing by 4pm along with the fleet. Over the 3 days we had many opportunities at fish mainly plunker bite with several flurries of eager fish just begging to come on board so they would not drown. Everything worked on most stops with flat fall doing the most damage followed by fly lining bait. Schools are mixed grade 40-200# so dropping down leader size is No Bueno. I mainly fished bait on 60# but did get them to chew on #80 as well 2/0 Charlie Brown hook. The kite was not flown much I think we tagged 3 or 4 total on flyers, fish were hanging 40 – 60 fathoms rarely breezing.

Day 3 we fished Hidden bank weather improved and the fish got aggressive, several all out bloodbaths on deck. By 4ish we had plugged the boat, 44 fish over #100 with half dozen cows on top. The captain told us to keep fishing, we were so close to the dock travel home would be short. The crew open the holds and start taking fish out of slammer and lay them on the foredeck. Passengers had no idea what was up, we were guessing empty the bait tank fill with dead and fish iron into the night. Nope not to be, next thing you know the Vagabond pulls up 20’ off our bow. The crews start gaffing ropes attached to our dead fish and transfer onto the Vagabond who will ferry them back the dock in their holds. Needless to say the passengers lining the decks of the Vagabond were not as thrilled as our crew. This was my PB BFT trip with 4 over#100 losing 2 HEAVY fish one to unavoidable saw off @deep color.

Life short do what makes you happy!

pq2.JPG

pq1.JPG

pq3.JPG

pq5.JPG

Last edited:

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Damn... Everyone is catching Tuna

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
My very first LR trip was on the PQ more than 25 years ago, one of the passengers on that trip was David Choate and unknown to me was on this one as well very nostalgic. This year I have fished 4ea three day trips chasing the BFT on the Royal Star and Polaris Supreme with less than stellar results bringing back personal low counts of 40-80# fish. As many of you have experienced the trip before and after are a knockout always leaving you wondering if you are snake bit or living your life wrong.

We had an amazing crew of fishers with a group of eight from the Bay Area that were mostly first timers, THAT GUY missed the boat so we had no drama at all the vibe on deck was perfect. Two of that group were tiny little gals over 50 that absolutely jumped ALL IN sucking up instruction and grinding at the rail from grey light to 2am and were reward with many large fish. Weather was up for SoCal waters :-) blowing 10 at the receiver and 15-20 off San Clemente luckily the swell was not bad and spread out.

Left the bait barge noonish with the best swimmers I have seen, a quick 30 mile run out to the grounds and we were fishing by 4pm along with the fleet. Over the 3 days we had many opportunities at fish mainly plunker bite with several flurries of eager fish just begging to come on board so they would not drown. Everything worked on most stops with flat fall doing the most damage followed by fly lining bait. Schools are mixed grade 40-200# so dropping down leader size is No Bueno. I mainly fished bait on 60# but did get them to chew on #80 as well 2/0 Charlie Brown hook. The kite was not flown much I think we tagged 3 or 4 total on flyers, fish were hanging 40 – 60 fathoms rarely breezing.

Day 3 we fished Hidden bank weather improved and the fish got aggressive, several all out bloodbaths on deck. By 4ish we had plugged the boat, 44 fish over #100 with half dozen cows on top. The captain told us to keep fishing, we were so close to the dock travel home would be short. The crew open the holds and start taking fish out of slammer and lay them on the foredeck. Passengers had no idea what was up, we were guessing empty the bait tank fill with dead and fish iron into the night. Nope not to be, next thing you know the Vagabond pulls up 20’ off our bow. The crews start gaffing ropes attached to our dead fish and transfer onto the Vagabond who will ferry them back the dock in their holds. Needless to say the passengers lining the decks of the Vagabond were not as thrilled as our crew. This was my PB BFT trip with 4 over#100 losing 2 HEAVY fish one to unavoidable saw off @deep color.

Life short do what makes you happy!

View attachment 1285509

View attachment 1285510

View attachment 1285511

View attachment 1285512

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2019
SoCal
Name
Phil
Boat
Vagbond
Just to clarify, I was one of the passengers on the Vag - we were all stoked to be able to help, as well as to witness a very interesting maneuver. Glad you guys had a great trip - it's pretty good fishin' out there right now...

Crash
Crash
Phil, Yes I could have chosen my words more carefully. Still have 3 day BFT tuna fog in my brain. I hope your crew had a great trip as well!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT and pics Robert, and NICE FISH.
    Hell I started fishing the PQ with Legendary Owner/Capt. Eddie McEwen when in Jr. High School from old Pacific Landing in Long Beach. Eons ago.
    That boat has always been "fishy".
    Glad you had a great trip. LOL

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Crash
    Crash
    Kavanaugh was driving my first trip, freezer special with David Choate and Brad Barron. Yes the boat is very fishy, very impressed with Gavin and love the way he handles himself and crew.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Yeah I've fished with Gavin there since a few times. I think I caught my 1st "everything" back in the day on PQ w/Eddie, Albacore, Yellowtail, White Seabass, etc. What a teacher for me back then. A teacher for many

That was good of Vagabond to "ferry" your fish in for processing. Maybe the RSW's were failing?
    News at 11

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tuna Dreamer