Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Man, 976 should know better. Because reports like these give the pac queen a bad rep. I been following reports from this boat as I've been making plans to go and for 976 to do something different that what fisherman's landing does is stupid. I still plan on riding the pac queen but definitely not on a 976 trip. How counter productive and "greedy" can they be? Does 976 collect and keep all the charter funds for their charter??

Upvote 0

J2DaF

Feb 20, 2014
Name
J Y
Boat
None
Hopped on the Pac Queen for the 976 trip with 31 other anglers. we left the dock at 9 pm and tried to make bait at the receivers to complement the anchovies. Woke up Saturday to nice clean water and a hearty breakfast burrito by Chef Nick. Spent all day trolling for no jig strikes. stopped on a bunch of dried kelps with the exception of 2 paddies that kicked out 18 YTs in the 10-13 lbs range. 2 BFTs caught on the first day. 1 on megabait one on mackeral. another BFT was hooked but the hook pulled. Sunday saw a couple more YTs along with half a dozen large Spanish Jacks. Very slow trip overall but everyone had a good time. I caught a 10 lbs yellow for the trip. Crew tried very hard and Captain was on top of a bunch of schools of BFTs but no takers. Good trip overall. Only 1 thing kinda made me a bit peeved. I wished either 976 or the Queen would have let us know that they have a meal plan along with the fuel surcharge. it was 130 total for the fuel surcharge food plan and permit and extra 20 for the jackpot. I think a few people were caught by surprise as they didn't bring more than a couple of hundred with them. Just better communication next time would have been better overall.

We did find the pens about 60 miles from the point. Not much life around it though so we motored on home.

Hey Mike! I was on that trip as well, in fact from your profile picture I think I was bunking right below you lol

To be fair tho... they did tell me at least about the meal plan when I first booked the trip over the phone with Terrance as well as the possibility of a fuel charge. However, the impression I got from the call was there was a meal plan, that we can choose to be on (made me think that they would sell separate meals too). Now, I was told it wasnt mandatory over the phone, and I guess it wasnt mandatory if you want to bring your own food for the 2 days however...

Upvote 0

J2DaF

Feb 20, 2014
Name
J Y
Boat
None
Hey Mike! I was on that trip as well, in fact from your profile picture I think I was bunking right below you lol

To be fair tho... they did tell me at least about the meal plan when I first booked the trip over the phone with Terrance as well as the possibility of a fuel charge. However, the impression I got from the call was there was a meal plan, that we can choose to be on (made me think that they would sell separate meals too). Now, I was told it wasnt mandatory over the phone, and I guess it wasnt mandatory if you want to bring your own food for the 2 days however...

I meant it WAS optional, but the part that caught me off guard was that it was ALL or NOTHING for the meal plan...

Upvote 0

john e.

Aug 26, 2012
alta loma
Name
john
Boat
any
Looking to go out on this boat next week. Got 9-12 people going. None of us have ever been on a deep sea tuna hunt. How much additional cost can one expect? How much is beer, alcohol, food? What other expenses are on the boats?

We planned $400 to get on the boat (i.e. $345 for the boat and permit, ~$50 for rods). $100 for food, beer, alcohol.

How much is a respectable tip, $50?
Hi Lasvegas, first, beer is the only alcohol you can buy on the boats,last time I checked it was $3-$4 bucks each. As for food I usually budget $10 per meal,doesnt usually cost that much but that leaves a little cushion.Leave budget for fuel surcharge, jackpot and fish cleaning. Tip what you can afford,based on crew performance,the galley you tip separate based on quality of food and service.
Check the landings websites for trips with open spots and trip prices.
Have a blast and GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper

Cool man. I booked online so I wasn't aware about the mandatory food plan until about 30 minutes prior to the trip when Earl mentioned it to a couple of us waiting at the dock. I always planned on these unexpected surprises like this but for the newbies that go out once in a long while, it can cause hard feelings and a bad start to the trip.

Your group have some nice gears btw. You guys going back out soon?

Upvote 0

J2DaF

Feb 20, 2014
Name
J Y
Boat
None
Cool man. I booked online so I wasn't aware about the mandatory food plan until about 30 minutes prior to the trip when Earl mentioned it to a couple of us waiting at the dock. I always planned on these unexpected surprises like this but for the newbies that go out once in a long while, it can cause hard feelings and a bad start to the trip.

yea mos def, I was actually not planning on the meal plan thinkin that they would allow you to order just single items... so even I was almost caught off guard and thought I might not have enough...

Im going out on the freedom this friday night just for a simple overnight trip... let me know if you want to join me haha

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats

I always say if there is something I don't know about' call the landing and ask question' if they don't know leave your number and some one will call you back with the answers' and make sure you ask for their mane.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
I always say if there is something I don't know about' call the landing and ask question' if they don't know leave your number and some one will call you back with the answers' and make sure you ask for their mane.
I don't think the landing would have known about this since it was technically a private charter. Only 976 and the Pac Queen knew the full details.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
yea mos def, I was actually not planning on the meal plan thinkin that they would allow you to order just single items... so even I was almost caught off guard and thought I might not have enough...

Im going out on the freedom this friday night just for a simple overnight trip... let me know if you want to join me haha

I am going out this weekend on the Aztec from Seaforth. Looking forward to fishing with Greg since he bought the boat. I think our trip will be the first trip or one of the first trips out with Greg at the helm of the Aztec.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Looking to go out on this boat next week. Got 9-12 people going. None of us have ever been on a deep sea tuna hunt. How much additional cost can one expect? How much is beer, alcohol, food? What other expenses are on the boats?

We planned $400 to get on the boat (i.e. $345 for the boat and permit, ~$50 for rods). $100 for food, beer, alcohol.

How much is a respectable tip, $50?

I would say food and drinks should cost around 50$ if you gorge, or if you drink a lot then maybe up to 75. But if you get into a nice bite and have a lot of fish to be cleaned, that can add up real quick. Last year on a 2 day, I had 7 yellowfin, 6 yellowtail, 4 dorado, and my fish cleaning bill was 90$. Theres also jackpot which is another 10$. So I would say take 150$-200$ for pocket cash to spend on the boat. Good lucK!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I would say food and drinks should cost around 50$ if you gorge, or if you drink a lot then maybe up to 75. But if you get into a nice bite and have a lot of fish to be cleaned, that can add up real quick. Last year on a 2 day, I had 7 yellowfin, 6 yellowtail, 4 dorado, and my fish cleaning bill was 90$. Theres also jackpot which is another 10$. So I would say take 150$-200$ for pocket cash to spend on the boat. Good lucK!
make sure you keep your cash in your front pocket . sign of the times

Reactions: arenpilav41
Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Me and my brother will be on the 1.5 trip this weekend aboard the pacific queen. I'm curious to see how it's going to turn out since it seems the bluefin have lockjaw according to all the reports I have read the last week or so. But then again it could take off soon. Does the moon have anything to do with the fish not biting very well?? Anyone know?

http://redrooster3.com/LarryBrownmoomphase.htm

Upvote 0

J2DaF

Feb 20, 2014
Name
J Y
Boat
None
I am going out this weekend on the Aztec from Seaforth. Looking forward to fishing with Greg since he bought the boat. I think our trip will be the first trip or one of the first trips out with Greg at the helm of the Aztec.

what yall targetting

Upvote 0

lasvegas

May 31, 2014
Name
lasvegas
Boat
lasvegas
thanks for all the answers, comments, and tips. will post a report after trip.

we will be renting rods and reels from landing, should we purchase other tackle and lures? any must have lures that are easy to obtain and use to supplement bait? don't want to spend a bunch but want some options...

i'll ask the captain to.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
Man, 976 should know better. Because reports like these give the pac queen a bad rep. I been following reports from this boat as I've been making plans to go and for 976 to do something different that what fisherman's landing does is stupid. I still plan on riding the pac queen but definitely not on a 976 trip. How counter productive and "greedy" can they be? Does 976 collect and keep all the charter funds for their charter??
It's my understanding that its a quid pro quo system. The boats let 976 tuna charter there boats and keep the proceeds and 976 tuna posts all there reports and hypes up the boats. It's essentially advertsing.

Reactions: Duke
Upvote 0

irukandji

Aug 5, 2011
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
Irukandji
thanks for all the answers, comments, and tips. will post a report after trip.

we will be renting rods and reels from landing, should we purchase other tackle and lures? any must have lures that are easy to obtain and use to supplement bait? don't want to spend a bunch but want some options...

i'll ask the captain to.
Must have would be a megabait

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
I'm betting that Greg is going to bloody up that boat this weekend.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0