Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat Name
Sunbird Neptune 230
Interesting with the blue label. I’ve fished pretty much strictly premier all my life but have started transitioning to blue label due to cost. 30# blue label is thinner than #40 premier and consistently breaks at 46# on scale. Premier always breaks at or less than the rated # test. There’s a guy on YouTube that tests all these different brads and breaking strengths. Another crazy one was Pline CXX #80 breaks at 130# 😂. Have you tried running any tests with your line at home? Nothing worse than fishing hard all day and getting maybe your only chance at a bite to have something in the gear fail.

2Rotten
2Rotten
Very big difference in my experience between break strength and knot strength. Mono very forgiving/Fluoro pretty twitchy. Test the way you fish - with the terminal knot you use
Upvote 0
hucklongfin
hucklongfin
30# blue is probably the same diameter as 40# premier. That’s true with 100/130 and 90/100. So many people use blue that I use 130# premier and just say I’m fishing 100.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Interesting with the blue label. I’ve fished pretty much strictly premier all my life but have started transitioning to blue label due to cost. 30# blue label is thinner than #40 premier and consistently breaks at 46# on scale. Premier always breaks at or less than the rated # test. There’s a guy on YouTube that tests all these different brads and breaking strengths. Another crazy one was Pline CXX #80 breaks at 130# 😂. Have you tried running any tests with your line at home? Nothing worse than fishing hard all day and getting maybe your only chance at a bite to have something in the gear fail.
    Well, thanks for all the feedback. I am also going to second guess my knot and my drag was set at 14 lbs. by scale. So, in all honesty, early season prep by me may not have been up to snuff. The thing I like is the feedback so I can work on what went wrong and make some corrections to hopefully catch more fish. I still had plenty of fish with the 2 I caught to eat.

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat Name
    Linda Vista
    Senko, good insights there on the blue label. I have heard that the gold label is a bit softer and may try that on my next 3 day in June. I know that I just purchased that spool of leader material last fall so it wasn’t too old.
    Gold label has been shit for me, breaking a lot lighter than the rating, I'm almost to all Blue now.

Reactions: Reel_Brew
    Upvote 0

Jankity

Apr 23, 2019
    Modesto, CA
    Name
    Gurjeet S. Rai
    Boat Name
    Thunderjet
    Yes, he wanted a fluorocarbon leader, recommending 5
    Def. 50lb leader on the snipers, and heavier on the light knife jigs. 300g and under seemed to get but the most.
    Def. 50lb leader on the snipers, and heavier on the light knife jigs. 300g and under seemed to get but the most.
    You guys rigging these jigs same as those night time rigs, 4-5 leader to a swivel just with lighter line, or is it straight braid to floro, and if so how long a leader is working?

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    You guys rigging these jigs same as those night time rigs, 4-5 leader to a swivel just with lighter line, or is it straight braid to floro, and if so how long a leader is working?
    On the 200-300 gram knife jigs I am using the leader/swivel setup up. On the lighter Colt Sniper type jigs (100 gram) I use a 5 ft piece of flouro. I use set ups that have a short mono top shot, and others that are braid directly to the flouro leader. I know many like one or the other, and over the years I have gone back and forth in preference, but I honestly have never seen a real difference in performance or results between the two..

Reactions: Jankity
    Jankity
    Jankity
    Thanks for that, I figure I have a few light leaders rigged.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Ian
    Boat Name
    Linda Vista
    I was doing 200g with a 80lb fluoro leader from 100lb hollow direct to the jig.
    My 100g colt sniper had long leader of 60lb fluoro from 80lb braid direct to the jig.

Reactions: Jankity
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Recently I have caught a few under 30lb trolling a purple Halco lure, swims great and stays in the water. That was only on down south BFT never on the outside or in US waters
    That Purple Halco or the Purple Marauder
    have been the best 2 trolling lures for years.

Upvote 0