Offshore Pacific Queen 1.5 day February 26th-28th, 2021 fishing report

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
We boarded the boat around 6:30pm on Friday and started to get situated. The plan was to head to Colonet and start looking for yellowtail for the morning, then catch limits of rockfish and spend the rest of the day scouting for bft and kelp patties. I got rigged up with 2 yo yo jigs, a 30# flyline setup, a double dropper shrimp fly and a surface iron then hit the bunk. I slept like crap wondering if I was rigged up right and wondering if I should switch up irons or reels and hoping to finally land my first yellowtail. I woke up around 6 am and grabbed a coffee and hung out until we hit the shallow bank to start yo yoing for yellowtail. We started yo yoing around 8:30 am and did a couple drifts and not person got bit! With the YT being a no show we headed into deeper water to start deep dropping for rockfish. We found quality reds, nice sized whitefish and a few legal lingcod and after a few hours we hit limits for everyone on the boat. Once limits of rockfish was achieved we headed offshore to scout for bft and kelp patty YT. We stopped on a few patties that were empty and never marked more than one or two single bft so as the sun set it was apparent we were going home without any pelagics. It was a great trip and I met a bunch of new friends as well as caught my first whitefish!

PJ
20210226_182245.jpg
20210226_183416.jpg
20210227_053812.jpg
20210227_183119.jpg
20210227_190028.jpg
20210227_190325.jpg
20210228_054206.jpg
20210228_143532.jpg

Sawmill killer

Almost A Member
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
We boarded the boat around 6:30pm on Friday and started to get situated. The plan was to head to Colonet and start looking for yellowtail for the morning, then catch limits of rockfish and spend the rest of the day scouting for bft and kelp patties. I got rigged up with 2 yo yo jigs, a 30# flyline setup, a double dropper shrimp fly and a surface iron then hit the bunk. I slept like crap wondering if I was rigged up right and wondering if I should switch up irons or reels and hoping to finally land my first yellowtail. I woke up around 6 am and grabbed a coffee and hung out until we hit the shallow bank to start yo yoing for yellowtail. We started yo yoing around 8:30 am and did a couple drifts and not person got bit! With the YT being a no show we headed into deeper water to start deep dropping for rockfish. We found quality reds, nice sized whitefish and a few legal lingcod and after a few hours we hit limits for everyone on the boat. Once limits of rockfish was achieved we headed offshore to scout for bft and kelp patty YT. We stopped on a few patties that were empty and never marked more than one or two single bft so as the sun set it was apparent we were going home without any pelagics. It was a great trip and I met a bunch of new friends as well as caught my first whitefish!

You'll get em next time PJ.....or just book that trip with me and Ryan in October hehehehe

Joeycawb

Yeah .... it’s me I smell like fish...
Sep 6, 2020
San diego
Name
Joey Cobb
Boat
Joey Cobb
Hey pj it was a blast sharing a rail with you .. we will get you down here again for sure before April... I start all my exploratory runs to the island and the banks (weather permitting) this weekend man.. so I will definitely keep you in the loop.👍🏻

Reactions: Sar_Dean

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
We use to call whitefish poor man's Yellowtail. I'd rather catch Yellowtail but I'd rather eat Whitefish. I had a great time even though the fishing wasn't so great except for the rockfish. My daughter even though she didn't fish at all had a great time too.

Joeycawb

Yeah .... it’s me I smell like fish...
Sep 6, 2020
San diego
Name
Joey Cobb
Boat
Joey Cobb
Also wanted to say thank you to... cap Gavin , Nathan , Bobby , Luke, and Bill and Dave y’all really make the trip .. can’t wait to get back on the queen when she’s all fresh in about six week ... also a special thank to Dave from Conway’s Customs for all the rod work ... and thanks to John at anglers Arsenal for making sure I always have what I need thanks guys

Reactions: Pjstevko

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Nothing to brag about, but I can easily drink 20 Coors Lights (dock to dock) on a trip of this duration. Congrats on a good trip, and thanks for the report.

Reactions: fishin_kid

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
When I booked the trip I thought meals were included. The 3 of us shared one dinner. I ate the bird they ate the rest. Neither of us was very hungry. The burgers were very good.
I've done a lot of trips on the PQ over the years, last time was 4 years ago for bluefin. I'll probably jump on again this fall

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
When I booked the trip I thought meals were included. The 3 of us shared one dinner. I ate the bird they ate the rest. Neither of us was very hungry. The burgers were very good.
I've done a lot of trips on the PQ over the years, last time was 4 years ago for bluefin. I'll probably jump on again this fall

I might go with you Dan, but I'll be bringing my lunch...

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Working on it
everything is marked up now! Even half day boats charge 8 bucks for a craft and 10 to 12 bucks for a burger! I like the poseidon when we chartered it all the food was included in the initial price, if people wanna buy beer that was on them, they didnt gouge the prices on those either.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Ba
everything is marked up now! Even half day boats charge 8 bucks for a craft and 10 to 12 bucks for a burger! I like the poseidon when we chartered it all the food was included in the initial price, if people wanna buy beer that was on them, they didnt gouge the prices on those either.
in the day, when I went on the Queen
I always did the food plan ,
And I asked for 2nds and never had a issue,

Reactions: kevina

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2021
Long Beach, Ca
Name
Ducks
Boat
None
Nothing to brag about, but I can easily drink 20 Coors Lights (dock to dock) on a trip of this duration. Congrats on a good trip, and thanks for the report.

Domestic beer prices aren’t half bad imo

That’s nuts. I think us shocked by the prices are because we haven’t fished this year yet. I remember Burgers and Burritos being around 6-8$. Not sure why the price spike. Are they still doing all day coffee for 2-4$? Likely not with the prices up