fv1500

Fishn' Frank
  • Jul 6, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Frank
    Boat Name
    n/a
    What an amazing trip and congrats on your PB! may I ask what type (circle or J) and size of the hooks used with 80 or 100lb sinker rigs?

Thank you.
    1/0-2/0 ringed Mutu or Trokar

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    That was a great write up. And an even better demonstration of perseverance. I gotta ask though, did you test the drags before? 1.5h on a 165# fish is quite long, although small hooks can account for that. I’ve found that setting the drag to the max that allows me good free spool allows me to put much higher drag on the reel. Mark your drag with some tape and you know exactly how much heat you have on the fish. I’ve always under guessed my drag. I bet that isn’t uncommon. As a rule, most of these fish should be in under 40-45 minutes, assuming you are matching gear to the fish. Maybe 30 minutes. That includes 300# fish as well. Using more drag keeps the fish pointed at the boat and shortens the fight. Not at all unusual to bring in 200# fish in less than 15 minutes with the right gear.

Upvote 0

fv1500

Fishn' Frank
  • Jul 6, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Frank
    Boat Name
    n/a
    That was a great write up. And an even better demonstration of perseverance. I gotta ask though, did you test the drags before? 1.5h on a 165# fish is quite long, although small hooks can account for that. I’ve found that setting the drag to the max that allows me good free spool allows me to put much higher drag on the reel. Mark your drag with some tape and you know exactly how much heat you have on the fish. I’ve always under guessed my drag. I bet that isn’t uncommon. As a rule, most of these fish should be in under 40-45 minutes, assuming you are matching gear to the fish. Maybe 30 minutes. That includes 300# fish as well. Using more drag keeps the fish pointed at the boat and shortens the fight. Not at all unusual to bring in 200# fish in less than 15 minutes with the right gear.
    Thanks and thanks. Yes I had the crew test the drag prior and during the catch. A fellow angler let me use his set up (Talica 25 II) after I got spooled (Avet HX). (Monday morning quartebacking here but I would agree the HX drag was probably set on the lighter side). I don't use a scale to set my drags, it's always been by feel and probably overly conservative in my estimation. Most of my reels are filled with braid and short top shots. So I use less drag to compensate for the minimal stretch in braid. I also pulled a hook on a fish at color earlier in the day.

This particular 160# fish was in the thermocline and wouldn't budge for at least 45 min. Again a few inches here and there only to loose a few.

You are right It's probably better to have the drag set higher on a lever reel. You can always back the drag off, but in order to tighten the drag you should back the lever off, increase tension on the knob then reengage the lever to avoid damaging the reel.

These particular fish were big and mean. Nothing like I have ever experienced before.

There were definitely some mental and it was a steep learning curve take aways from fishing these larger models. I haven't touched the drag on the HX and I am curious once re-spooled how much actual drag pressure was on the reel.

Reactions: Ryeboy86
    Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    Thanks and thanks. Yes I had the crew test the drag prior and during the catch. A fellow angler let me use his set up (Talica 25 II) after I got spooled (Avet HX). (Monday morning quartebacking here but I would agree the HX drag was probably set on the lighter side). I don't use a scale to set my drags, it's always been by feel and probably overly conservative in my estimation. Most of my reels are filled with braid and short top shots. So I use less drag to compensate for the minimal stretch in braid. I also pulled a hook on a fish at color earlier in the day.

This particular 160# fish was in the thermocline and wouldn't budge for at least 45 min. Again a few inches here and there only to loose a few.

You are right It's probably better to have the drag set higher on a lever reel. You can always back the drag off, but in order to tighten the drag you should back the lever off, increase tension on the knob then reengage the lever to avoid damaging the reel.

These particular fish were big and mean. Nothing like I have ever experienced before.

There were definitely some mental and it was a steep learning curve take aways from fishing these larger models. I haven't touched the drag on the HX and I am curious once re-spooled how much actual drag pressure was on the reel.
    You could have hooked the fish funny as well, even tail wrapped it. I think the whole thing about pulling hooks or losing fish if you have too much drag isn’t accurate. Sure you may lose one once in a while but you are just as likely if not more likely to lose them in a long battle. All you need is a rod that has some give in the tip. That and the ability to feel the fish starting a run and letting him go, eg by not holding the spool or by pointing the rod more toward the fish.

However, most of the time I find just hammering the drag near the end of the fight will net you more fish. So 30-35# of drag plus holding the spool (for 100lb line), maybe 26-30 for 80#line. And don’t forget your drag increases inversely to the diameter of your spool. If you set at 30 and your spool is half the diameter, then you are fishing 60lb of drag, assuming the reel can manage that. Of course all this depends on hook size and strength. I had a friend catch 4 over 140 on a 1.75 day trip this year all on sinker rigs with 100# and 9/0 hooks. So you don’t have to fish 1/0 and 2/0 hooks to get bit. A good bait at the right depth is the ticket. The smallest I go with big fish around is 4/0 super mutu, and that’s flylining, even on 60# leader. Sinker rigs are usually 8/0 or 9/0 eagle claw 2004 hooks, maybe sometimes a 6/0 super mutu.

Reactions: fv1500 and SCreef
    Upvote 0