samhigh

Living the Dream
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
Name
Sam
Boat
$200 Kayak from Craigslist
Headed out on Sunday around 7pm. 34 onboard the boat. I woke up around 4 am Monday morning to the sound of a fish hitting the deck. BFT on a flat fall. The only bite on that first stop.

Put out the trolling lines around 6am. Got some yellows on the troll and two more BFT.

From there it was mostly searching for schools and kelp. We stopped at one kelp paddy and pulled out about 50 yellowtail. All small. Stopped at another kelp, got close to another 50 yellows. We started to head back east and ended up SW of the Coronados.

At this point it was looking less likely we would get any more BFT. All of a sudden, bendo. Probably 13 hookups going at once. Pandemonium.

I can't explain how this happened.. I was standing at the rail, flylining a live bait and all of a sudden my rod and reel got ripped out of my hands. Flew ten feet away from the boat and started sinking. I've never lost a setup before... I stood by for 2 minutes to see if someone it got snapped on a line or something and could be recovered. No luck, I grabbed another setup and got another bait in the water.

About ten minutes later, a guy on the rail says his line feels funny. As he is winding in, my rod rises from the deep blue. The captain manages to gaff my rod, and what would you know... there was a fish on the line! Fish on!

Battled for the next two hours (6-8pm) on a PCH 8' rod and Trinidad 14 w/ 30lb flouro leader. At the end of the fight, the crew helped out and got the fish on the deck.

I thought I had lost an entire setup. To get the setup back, with a ~75lb BFT on the end of line. Then to land the fish... Amazing. Trip of a lifetime.

The crew on the Pac Queen were phenomenal. Will return. Tight lines and hold on to those rods!

IMG_20190429_211712_2.jpg

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Wow phenomenal report crew and fish!

Reactions: samhigh

Joefisherman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2007
California
Name
Joe
Boat
none
I took my son and his friend out of San Diego last Sept. My sons friend was going over someone on the rail when a Tuna hit and ripped the rod and reel out of his hand - Never saw it again.

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
Talk about your new "lucky setup"!!!!!! That is awesome. I have totally lost a setup from a violent bite, my theory is that my braid was bunched up and stuck on the spool so it would not unwind..

findtuna

Nov 23, 2011
OC
Name
James
Boat
Blackman 20' pilot house
I thought it was going to be snagged by a Japanese fisherman on the other side of the Pacific. Lol.