Pacific Queen 1.5 Day – February 25, 2017

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by The Sea Hag, Feb 27, 2017.

1. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    DSCN2686 (2).JPG DSCN2677.JPG Danny and I have become regular attendees at the Angler Chronicles Taco Tuesday events at Michael’s Sports Bar. A few months ago, Danny won a pass for a day and a half on the Pacific Queen, so we picked a weekend trip during what we hoped would be good yellowtail fishing.
    We left Torrance around 1:00 on Friday afternoon. It would be the first trip on the Pacific Queen for both of us. The weather forecast looked ok, at least there was no rain forecasted for Saturday. Still, the drive down to San Diego was probably close to one of the worst I have had. However, on a brighter note, we arrived to find the parking lot nearly empty, and parked right in front of Fisherman’s Landing.
    We checked in, finding all of the staterooms full and only top and bottom bunks available. With possibility of rough seas, we both settled for bottom bunks, and went to Mitch’s to grab a bite to eat. Their mixed seafood plate is a favorite to share; with lots of fried calamari, shrimp, fish, French fries, and a crab cake, it’s plenty for both of us.
    We got our gear out of the car and got in line at the top of the landing. The boat came in from fueling and getting bait, and we loaded right around the 6:00 time promised in the landing office.
    We had help loading gear with lots of familiar faces in the crew, in spite of it being our first time on this boat; Captains Gavin and Bobby, and Johnny in the galley. We signed in and encountered something I found a bit unusual, the Pacific Queen no longer does a jackpot. After the safety briefing and trip plans, we rigged up and I went to bed.
    I was freezing most of the night. I woke up at grey light and came out in a heavy jacket and sweatshirt, but the jacket went quickly back downstairs. We had relatively light winds, and it wasn’t nearly as cold as it had been at night. We’d gone about 120 south, past Colenet, and seemed to be in very good company, with 8-10 of the other San Diego boats already around us. We’ll pulled up the first drift and quickly started hooking a few fish.

The first few drifts were pretty chaotic, with horrific tangles on every hooked fish. That did seem to improve some over time, as the anglers began to settle in, the crew reminding everyone to keep their lines in front of them… Each drift would produce a few fish, when the bit died, Gavin quickly reset the boat, and so it went most of the day. No real crazy bites, more of a steady pick.
    The winds slowly increased during the day. In the morning yo-yo irons definitely worked better. There didn’t seem to be any particular color that was any better; I saw fish landed on just about any color. Danny got a nice one on a Pacific Lures 7 ounce SR Model in Dorado Image.
    As the day wore on, bait seemed to be somewhat more successful; a heavy sliding sinker or torpedo on a rubber band. I caught a yellowtail around 18 pounds on a sardine with a 2 ounce sliding sinker on 30 pound Soft Steel Ultra mono. A few fish were even caught on the surface, but staying higher up also put you in the zone that some big bonito were hanging around occasionally.
    Although rock fishing was in the plans for the afternoon, that was foregone for windy conditions and a raging current.
    We ended up with something between 50-60 yellowtail.
    The food was awesome! Johnny had an egg mix ready for burritos for breakfast, but would make a plate for anyone who’d rather have that. Lunch was Caesar chicken wraps that were paired with a wonderful pasta salad, and dinner was slow roasted beef with mashed potatoes and gravy that was hot and very satisfying in the chilly night. Conditions had continued to deteriorate. As soon as dinner was over, I went to bed.
    After a long day of fishing, I slept like a rock. (Other than waking up a couple of times hearing a passenger than was having a bit of a rough night… eeww….) We were back to the landing, unloaded, and on the road before 8:00 AM for a much quicker trip home.
    Thank you to the crew of the Pacific Queen, for really staying on top of things, helping with tangles and gaffing, bleeding and tagging fish!
    Also thanks to Heather Bodnar, for procuring a pass for the raffle!! DSCN2683.JPG DSCN2684.JPG DSCN2689.JPG DSCN2692.JPG DSCN2697.JPG

2. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    I'm suprized the way the rails looked after being in dry dock for almost 6 weeks.

3. jig-guy

jig-guy Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    None
    Pam! thanks for the neat post and glad you folks got bit. Great read and I look forward to your future adventure posts.
    TL's
    jig-guy / Bill

The Sea Hag likes this.
  4. muledeer07

muledeer07 Member

Name:
    Wade
    Boat:
    None
    Great post and congrats on a safe trip. Don't get much better than the guys on the Queen. Johnny, bobby, mike and Austin. First rate.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  5. finsane

finsane I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    They have a great crew n that boat. Serious question for you, did they solve the mystery of getting the beer cold enough to drink? I was on a charter last year, I tried valiantly on three different occasions to choke a warm beer down before finally giving up.

The Sea Hag, MightyMach and Tunahead like this.
  6. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Saw you out there Pam, congrats on catching some Yellowtail!

The Sea Hag likes this.
  7. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great report and nice fish! The Queen still goin' all these years.
    Glad to see looks like everyone got some fish. Weather=that's Colonet. LOL
    I caught my first yellowtail, seabass, tuna on her with the Original
    legendary owner Capt. Eddie McEwen in the 60's...eons ago. LOL
    Glad you had a good trip!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    irukandji likes this.
  8. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Excellent report as usual Pam. Hope you get um' good this season!!!

The Sea Hag likes this.
  9. The Sea Hag

The Sea Hag Cookie Purveyor

Name:
    Pam
    Boat:
    Can I Fish on Yours...?
    I had a couple beers and they were cold... But I guess you could have put them anywhere and they would have been cold! I had my long underwear on the whole time! I was freezing...!!

10. finsane

finsane I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    Ok, thanks for the get back Pam.

The Sea Hag likes this.
  11. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Way to go, Pam! Looks like the seas were kinder to your group than us two weeks prior. The YT were in complete shut-down mode.

Congrats on the hamachi!

The Sea Hag likes this.
  12. irukandji

irukandji Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Irukandji
    They tossed the old coke fridge and bought a new fridge

The Sea Hag and finsane like this.
  13. Mab69

Mab69 Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    sealantro
    The new fridge actually broke the next week and we did 2 ice chests. I went 3 trips in Jan. and Feb. They cancelled a trip to fix the fridge and the oven after that. The oven went out on my 2nd trip. Should be good now. Beers were always cold and Johnny did just fine with just the stove and pressure cooker. Love that crew. And that clock

14. fish_guts

fish_guts Member

Name:
    Dominic
    Boat:
    22.5 foot searay center console
    do they still have the rotten refrigerator in the bunk room?

The Sea Hag likes this.
  15. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Thanks for the report. I was on the Pac Queen for her last trip of '16 and we slayed the YFT.

The crew was awesome.

The Sea Hag likes this.