Pacific Northwest Bluefin Trolling Qs, Wind-on Swivel?

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Hi folks. I read something from a northeast bluefin trolling guy where he referred to a “wind on swivel” that, as name implies, comes through the guides. I looked on the TFT website and don’t see that phrase. Can someone point me to this mystical wind-on swivel, if it exists?

Up here in Oregon we are seeing more & more big bluefin show up last few years, usually late season (Sept / Oct) so I am Gearing up more intentionally for them. I have big 2 speeds and heavy rods for use in San Diego. Even have some bent butt with Aftco big foot rollers. So if there is a swivel designed to go over those rollers I’d be curious to see them.

I have some other questions on the finer points of trolling for larger bluefin models. Such as:

- For cedar plugs, has anyone come up with an alternative to the stock, long needle eye hooks....that has been successfully tested? Any other tips for use of cedar plugs for bluefin?

- For slow trolling with large baits, do you prefer planer boards, or downriggers, or some other method to troll them below the surface?

- I have heard that some folks use the teaser birds (such as Moldcraft birds) with a hook in them as the lure. Any comments on that, or similar bird lures? The bluefin up here have been coming up into the albacore troll spread, hitting the teasers but not hitting the lure right behind the teasers.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rubberneck-man

North east fishing.....
Sep 22, 2017
ny
Name
john smith
Boat
my missy
Spro - makes wind-on swivels - here's what they look like:

spro-shsb-06-5-heavy-swivel-size-6-560-lb-5-pack.jpg

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Thanks RubberN. Hah.... I have those exact swivels for use on some of my heavy boat line gear. Never knew they were considered "wind-on."

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
BTW, a very large, by PNW standards, BFT exploded out of the water and took a clone in the prop wash last week. 4ish plus feet. Ran off 400 yds instantly and was gone. Shocked the crap out of every body on board. Westport. Straight out.

Upvote 0

Mark49

Mark litwiler
Dec 26, 2016
Lompoc
Name
Mark Litwiler
Boat
20’ wilson
Why not just tie an fg knot and not have that big clunky swivel trying to go through the guides if you have a fish on? Seems like it could be problematic

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
If you run birds in your spread, simply arm the birds with some hardware and you should be in business.
if you want to specifically target them? Nomad DTX 200s.

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Why not just tie an fg knot and not have that big clunky swivel trying to go through the guides if you have a fish on? Seems like it could be problematic
Because the fg doesn't work well for me, with 250 - 300 lb leader material. I'll do hollow core insertions / L2L instead.

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
If you run birds in your spread, simply arm the birds with some hardware and you should be in business.
if you want to specifically target them? Nomad DTX 200s.
Ha....funny you mention that. In 2019, a number of folks had their teasers whacked by bluefin. They didn't want the clones with hooks in em....just the birds.

So now I have birds rigged as the hook lure.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
Every season, these Volkswagen blowup, reels getting smoked stories...

I want to see you guys put a real one on deck, not those little shibis that swim with the albies .

Does anyone skip a flyer? Someone has to have tried it?

Upvote 0