KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
First time in a few years I've been home from Alaska to attend this show. Kind of fun to wander around to look at some of the equipment and meet up with several of the venders we work with on the commercial side. This show while good on the commercial side of electronics is somewhat poor on the gear we use other than a couple of manufactures of trawl doors. I guess if I'm home next year maybe the company will send me off to the European shows which is in Norway next year.....I hope. This years show was in Denmark which I'm kind of glad to have missed as I'm not sure if I could survive the Aquavit or gasoline they serve you to drink.
Anyway a couple sport fishing things of interest to me and maybe others:
--There were several seat manufactures, some of them suspension type to look at....I didn't but several booths.

--Volvo Penta. Talked to those guys some as they have a D6 DPI 380 sitting on the floor. I mentioned all the bad press I've read here on BD and elsewhere regarding the DPH drive(s). He grabbed me and drug me over to the unit on the floor saying the DPI unit is the one to get versus the DPH. If I remember correctly the DPI has oil cooling, a built in water shower cooling system and a different type of clutch system that allows slow speed maneuvering and or trolling. Sounds a bit better if you actually follow the maintenance schedules but who actually knows. Haven't a clue of the price difference between the DPI and DPH.

--Talked with several of the electronic guys all of which I know well and have worked with through the years on the commercial side. Simrad Kongsberg discussions was about some of the commercial stuff we have and how to get around glitches but the rest of it was more for me on the sport boat side. Maybe I threatened beatings with a rubber hose to the Kongsberg vendor. On the sport boat side these guys have their likes and dislikes of the consumer electronics but will give me straight scoop since I've been around them for so long.
1. For Furuno it's probably better to wait for Furuno TZ3 to come out but they do have some good stuff especially their stand alone gear. I would think since Furuno has some rebates now they'll be releasing something new in a few months, hopefully by Boat Show times.
2. One vendor, the one that sold and installed all the stuff on the commercial boat I run thought the Navico Simrad stuff was the way to go (not Lowrance) for the sport boat side versus the others and they carried it all...Raymarine, Navico, Furuno & Garmin. They liked the Garmin stuff but to them service was tough mainly because they couldn't service it in-house with their techs. If something is bad with a radar et cetera you had to pull the damn thing off and send it in. A different vender that does most of our service work now likes Garmin. I guess there are a couple local places that Garmin allows some service work on now but they also said more than likely if you're under warranty Garmin would just swap out with new. Most of them even though they sold it were kind of ehhh regarding Raymarine...not overly sure why. Mackay Communications formerly Harris Electric did say they were bound to MRSP with the consumer electronics but during the shows they are able to do some wheel and deal so I guess that's the time to open the check books.
3. Ohhh....Volvo Penta integrates well with Garmin or Garmin integrates well with Volvo Penta at least with the DPI drive.

--Swag. I got a hat and a bennie from the Olex plotter/bottom mapper guys. We have two of their units. A nice coffee cup from Marport who makes our trawl door sensors, catch indicators and wireless net sounders...basically most of our underwater or fishing gear sensors. There's a lot of pinging going on down there. Marport was purchased by Airmar so there's kind of an in for me for information on transducers...maybe. I doubt they'd give me a good buy for a ducer but maybe. Furuno usually has a high demand coffee cup at the show but I didn't see any. I should of hit up Bradburn when I was bending his ear on some of the Furuno stuff we have for a coffee cup.

Anyway that was what hit me of interest at the show. I don't think I'll go back up tomorrow. I probably should have looked over the Garmin booth some but I didn't. I'm sure the Seattle Boat show will have more things of interest for the sport boat side of things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
Wow Kim excellent and detailed post. I read it twice. I am excited to see the new stuff.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
Oh yeah I forgot....this was on the floor. 350 duo

IMG_5066 copy.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
Advertiser
May 20, 2010
Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
Name
Mark Coleman
Boat
16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
Thanks for the recon. I’ve been wanting to go to this show for many years but it’s never worked out.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
Does Jess do your Simrad work?
We deal with Jess a lot but we still have to go through the vendors as I'd classify Jess a manufactures rep now. Did deal with him a lot when he worked for Harris. Of course I work a lot with the genius David B. at Kongsberg. I can almost understand him what he's trying to say but he's so technical that he's even beyond some of the techs. I was talking with him about CHIRP today regarding our ES 80 stuff. Since 99% of the time all I look at is bottom or bottom expansion we've found CHIRP isn't all that good, poor actually. The bottom expansion with FM (CHIRP) turned on is always fuzzy so we operate in CW with the split beam ducers. David said Simrad Kongsberg is still working on the math of working at the bottom with CHIRP better but I guess it's really complex. He does say CHIRP somewhat shines when deeper but a lot of our Bering Sea fishing takes place shallow, 50 fathom up into even under 10 fathom at times. Aleutians are a bit deeper depending on the fish. Soooo it kind of makes me wonder about some of our consumer grade CHIRP. The mid-water separation of targets seems to be good with it though.

Reactions: liltrouble
Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
Thanks for the recon. I’ve been wanting to go to this show for many years but it’s never worked out.
That's why I tossed in there being several seat manufactures with displays. I should have spent some time talking with the refer guys but everything looked a bit too big. I was kind of wondering about the size and capacity of units that would fit in the charters et cetera. There are I think some fairly small units that they put into the 32' Bristol Bay salmon boats. It's an interest.

Reactions: oldschool 1
Upvote 0

jbuck

Sep 5, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Name
josh
Boat
29' Dyer Hardtop, 210 Ventura
We deal with Jess a lot but we still have to go through the vendors as I'd classify Jess a manufactures rep now. Did deal with him a lot when he worked for Harris. Of course I work a lot with the genius David B. at Kongsberg. I can almost understand him what he's trying to say but he's so technical that he's even beyond some of the techs. I was talking with him about CHIRP today regarding our ES 80 stuff. Since 99% of the time all I look at is bottom or bottom expansion we've found CHIRP isn't all that good, poor actually. The bottom expansion with FM (CHIRP) turned on is always fuzzy so we operate in CW with the split beam ducers. David said Simrad Kongsberg is still working on the math of working at the bottom with CHIRP better but I guess it's really complex. He does say CHIRP somewhat shines when deeper but a lot of our Bering Sea fishing takes place shallow, 50 fathom up into even under 10 fathom at times. Aleutians are a bit deeper depending on the fish. Soooo it kind of makes me wonder about some of our consumer grade CHIRP. The mid-water separation of targets seems to be good with it though.

That's pretty neat stuff. I'd be interested in what you come up with for chirp. I was talking to Jess about it last year up in Dutch trying to figure out an upgrade from the es60 we had.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
That's pretty neat stuff. I'd be interested in what you come up with for chirp. I was talking to Jess about it last year up in Dutch trying to figure out an upgrade from the es60 we had.
I think it's just kind of a wait and see with the ES stuff for CHIRP to see if the engineers can figure how to make it work right at the bottom easier for us. I think they do it with the scientific stuff. We don't have the license for FM or CHIRP for our 38kHz ducer but do with the 70 and 120. I think and have thought for several years the 120 is theeee frequency to use up there. It's good to a bit over 100 fathom or so and then we need to rely more on the 38 and 70. The ES 70 and 80 CHIRP might work well for the midwater stuff but that's not the zone I'm working in. Guys are using it for fish sizing et cetera.

By the way Furuno's FCV 1900 is a damn good machine also and a lot cheaper.

Upvote 0

oldschool 1

Night Watchman .
Jun 13, 2011
Aberdeen wa
Name
Andy
Boat
Oldschool 2
That's why I tossed in there being several seat manufactures with displays. I should have spent some time talking with the refer guys but everything looked a bit too big. I was kind of wondering about the size and capacity of units that would fit in the charters et cetera. There are I think some fairly small units that they put into the 32' Bristol Bay salmon boats. It's an interest.

This subject is in my wheelhouse.
These things will put the ice man out of business. Lucky for him they don't work with outboards, they're belt or hydraulic driven.
I bought a 7.5 ton unit at the boat show 2 years ago and installed it myself.
It was 22,000 bucks with the keel cooler. They make 3 ton units that are around 12 grand I think. There is also a unit that just hangs on the side of a tote, not sure how it works, probably electric driven by genset. Anyway if anyone is thinking of this upgrade feel free to contact me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    All the Scandinavian countries serve akvavit. The key is to find the ones with spices you like or have your wife make you Snaps. My wife is currently making our traditional Snaps favorites for the holidays. In Swedish, akvavit means “water of life” aka Gasoline. LOL.

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    All the Scandinavian countries serve akvavit. The key is to find the ones with spices you like or have your wife make you Snaps. My wife is currently making our traditional Snaps favorites for the holidays. In Swedish, akvavit means “water of life” aka Gasoline. LOL.
    I've been over to Hirtshals Denmark three times where they have a large flume tank. We stick model doors and trawls into the tank to test and also learn what various adjustments et cetera does to the gear. Each time has been around this time of year so we were starting to hit some of the early Christmas parties. I'm not much of a drinker so when the Aquavit starts flowing it's tough and kind of .....fun but unfortunately I have some body weight to absorb it. I've heard the term Snaps but never really knew the difference between and it and Aquavit (gas)....now I know...thanks!!!!

Reactions: Swede
    Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    When did you go? I was there with them friday for a couple hours.
    VisionX is what i sell as well as many other products.
    If you are talking lights, you saw them.

Reactions: PSULion
    Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Must have just missed me, do you remember who you were talking to? All 3 know me well, Dan, Carl or Nick.

Upvote 0