eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
Drove up to CISCOs Landing in Oxnard Saturday afternoon to jump on the Pacific Islander for an overnight freelance trip...
They had been getting some good runs on White Seabass - Halibut - Yellowtail out at the Channel Islands... and my son hasnt caught a WSB yet so we thought we give it a try. After the safety meeting Captain Rick (Redbeard) made the decision to make the run to San Nichols Island again for the big yellows that were showing... they had gone 8 for about 40 the day before on the Bruisers. just got wrecked I guess...
Ive only been out to San Nichols Island a hand full of times in my life and every time I can remember it was hell conditions... and with my son on board I started to get a little nervous. but he did great as usual!! In looking around at the fellow passengers and I thought to myself its going to be light at the rail in the morning LOL ALOT of tipsy people on that trip... some of the biggest galley tabs Ive EVER seen in my life...

We got outta the harbor about 11:00 and it was already crappy... so we banged around for about 7 hours getting out there... rolled up in the dark and started to post up... I come out on deck and the wind is howling... the current was just ripping in 65 feet of water... sloppy as hell... theyre trying to get the anchor set and it keeps pulling... Sonny and the crew finally get it dialed and we start doin the damn thing. We had the Freedom - Amigo - El Dorado post up outside of us all in row... so well have plenty of chum goin at all times in this group effort... Guess thats THE SPOT EH??? Sonny had said the fish didnt start biting until the sun came up and the slack tide started... and he was right... we start to pick fish... but the first 4 hookups just got trucked... one run into the kelp and forgetaboutit!!! but they would not bite 40lb... so I started getting irritated and I grabbed my 25lb setup... 50lb white maxcuatro with a 4 foot piece of 25lb Gold Label... and I got bit immediately on a whole squid with a 1oz glow eggy... I was on my TN12 / LB Seeker 709T... and I got smoked down to about 50 yards of braid left in about 5.438 seconds... LOL I could feel the braid cutting through the kelp and it kept pinging badly... thought I lost it a few times... but I got him... turned out to be the only Yellowtail boated for the day... that kelp cutter setup definitely got me the fish. Wasnt as big as we thought it was... but still a nice fish on 25lb in the forest Id say...

That died out so we made a short move to their Whitefish / Sheepshead hole and it was full speed wide open until we had limits of both... the crew said it was the best big Sheepshead bite theyve EVER had... and there were some drag pullers... which I couldnt believe!!?? I got a really big one... biggest Ive ever caught... so did my son... he had a limit of BIG whitefish and BIGGER Goats... it made up somewhat for not getting bit on a Yellow... he was mad LOL

We called it a day at about 12:45 and shoved off back to port... big ups to Captain Rick and the crew... was a long snotty ride... but turned out to be a fun day...

20210718_085402.jpg

20210718_115821.jpg

20210718_114944.jpg

Screenshot_20210718-215401_Gallery.jpg

20210718_120127.jpg

Screenshot_20210719-072500_Maps.jpg

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Yea we were right next to you on the freedom and laid pipe on them 25 sea bass and 15 yellows I had 1 yellow and 2 sea bass the squid was the magic bait! We had no wind on our trip it was glass... One of the girls on our trip smashed this 45 lb hali who couldn't believe it when we saw it... The Freedom and Tino killed it!

news_11626486869.jpg

sb.jpg

ttgtg.jpg

sb1.jpg

news_21626486870.jpeg

fff.jpg

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    Yea we were right next to you on the freedom and laid pipe on them 25 sea bass and 15 yellows I had 1 yellow and 2 sea bass the squid was the magic bait! We had no wind on our trip it was glass... One of the girls on our trip smashed this 45 lb hali who couldn't believe it when we saw it... The Freedom and Tino killed it!

View attachment 1300439

View attachment 1300440

View attachment 1300441

View attachment 1300442

View attachment 1300443

View attachment 1300444
    wow... very nice!! thats what we were hoping for... we just could NOT get them to go... we had shitty bait and alot of inexperienced anglers pretty sure those were the deciding factor on no hot bite for us...

Upvote 0

finsane

Jabroni
    Oct 11, 2005
    California
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    None

View attachment 1300439

View attachment 1300440

View attachment 1300441

View attachment 1300442

View attachment 1300443

View attachment 1300444
    I was on your trip also, getting ready to go again. Tino did a great job getting us loaded up.

Reactions: bdogie1
    Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
    Hollywood, CA, USA
    Name
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Nice job and thanks for the great report.

I am the only one that gets weirded out when the fish are held up by pinching in their eyes? Not trying to offend anyone. The ironic part is that I can bleed a fish out by severing his aorta, but the whole eye thing bothers me...

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    First time on pacific islander for me a couple weeks back,limits of seabass by 830 for our group of 16 and 4 crew,5 counting ricks girl.Crew was on it and rick did a great job,it was hard to find any reviews of that boat before i left.
    That halibuts a slob!

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    Nice job and thanks for the great report.

I am the only one that gets weirded out when the fish are held up by pinching in their eyes? Not trying to offend anyone. The ironic part is that I can bleed a fish out by severing his aorta, but the whole eye thing bothers me...
    Creeps me out bigtime!! The deckhand told him to grab it by the eyes! My kid was squirmin.. he doesn't like Goats to begin with LOL

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    That San Nic island is just soooo far out there.
    But glad you got them.
    I think i heard 56 miles from PH? Its far... and once you're there... it is what it is... I hadn't been out there since albacore was a thing... I was on the Vagabond for 3-4 day... and we got 40-50lb Albies... my dad got a weighed 62lber... but it was so Fing rough... the whole time... only time I've ever been genuinely scared in swell I think in 40 years...

Upvote 0