Offshore Pacific Dawn 2 day charter complete rip off!!!

PENN
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
So why did you keep that huge tuna in your avatar do you have 40 people in your family? You keep killing all the big ones and our kids will never catch one:D

good question. aren't the larger one's the brood stock for future generations??? people see only what they wanna see. good point Bill. I'm sure he doesn't have an answer. So when people are on long range trips, like he is in his avatar, is it necessary to kill 5 or more tuna over 250 pounds? are you able to eat or even store that much? or are you feeding starving african kids and the homeless???

Upvote 0

Crashburn

Executive Board Member
Feb 26, 2013
Dog Beach Mostly
Name
Mike
Boat
Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !
image.jpg

Reactions: Johnny J
Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
WORKING ON IT.
The not being able to pick the fish you wanted to keep is just wrong. Would have liked to hear "WHY"? Unless they didn't want fish getting mixed up all over the deck, otherwise, why not?

I thought the Pacific Dawn was a top notch multi day boat. Thanks for the story, glad to hear the good and not so good so we can decide whom to ride with
Captain must charge by the pound on shorter trips

Upvote 0

Excaliber

Oct 12, 2006
Meridian, ID.
Name
Mike
Boat
sold
Regardless of what many think here this is a case where all pub isn't good pub.
Interesting read for sure. After reading to the end it looks like the decision to fish BFT on the second day was the plan discussed. This looks like a bunch of complaining over nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ladyluck
Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Boat caught limits first day, Cappy shut you down as the law dictates.

Fishing was scratch the second day...so it goes?

Am I reading this right?

@poster that got 4 +6 =10 YFT for his $600...um dood....you had a great trip. Rip on your bro who caught your fish for you...but you took home plenty.

Regardless, seems a little poor communication all the way around if the sports think they should have been allowed to catch more than they could by law the first day.

BTW, there is no provision in California Law for "catch and release" fishing. If you have your limit on the boat you are done, done, done for the day. FFS be thankful. You guys would be a real barrel of fun during an average year....:)

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
LOL so many haters! Same thing happened to me when I posted about my bad experience on the Black Pearl... Bunch of cunts sitting behind their desks talking shit... Dont worry about it dude, I thought it was a good report. Very informative... SOrry You had a bad time. Ive heard mixed reviews, of people having good times on that boat too... Haven't been on it before, so I can't tell for myself...

But they definitely should not be able to tell you how many you can or can't take home.... CA law allows you to take 10 per day, which means you have the right to take 20 home, which I do agree with everyone else, is probably too much, especially on a multi day... but nonetheless, its the law, and it allows for you to take 20 fish home, should you chose to do so.

Based on everything you said in your post, from your side's perspective only, as we don't know the other sides, I don't think anybody should be complaining about what you've said.
killer report. Sorry you had a bad time.
The hell with all the haters... Bunch of CHUMPS!
-Aren

There is a difference between a bad report and being a drama queen. The guy came on and basically posted hey check it out I am going to flame this operation later. He did this before he was even off the boat. Then puts up the report hours later. To top it off half of his complaints are the crew wouldnt let me do something illegal.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Is Capt Pat the owner of the Pacific Dawn?

Yes , He is considered a very good captain as well as his Bro Billy (woody)who will also return to be captain/owner of a long range boat in the future.

Reactions: wags59
Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
You are talking about a captain that was hand picked by the best captain,owner and operator. He was trained by a legend. If you think that he didn't do what was best for the boat and trip you haven't been fishing for very long. On the other hand you may have been fishing for a long time and still don't understand it. Bill was a phenomenal captain and he did one hell of a job training pat. Pat is one of the best in the business now and his boat is a highliner year after year. Most deckhands and other captains would be climbing all over eachother for a chance to work for pat.

Upvote 0

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
Aug 8, 2009
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Name
Brad
Boat
19' Glasstron
At least you caught fish, last year I caught zero on an overnite.....not to change the subject, but if you puke off the Manhattan pier, is that chumming?? Nobody has answered this question yet.... LOL...

Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
WORKING ON IT.
First of all I will start by saying I don't know shit about shit, but I remember a time when you were lucky to catch a tuna on a 2 day. You catch 15 and are complaining that you couldn't get 5 more? This season has been an epic year and has been great for all the so cal fleets and local tackle shops. But I have to say, with how good it is it is turning some of you "fisherman" into big crying babies. Just be happy that you at least got one! I will say though I don't like the fact that they made everyone split their fish, but I am not the captain. He has reasonings for doing what he did

Upvote 0

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
Pacific Beach
Name
David
Boat
Pequod
"Complete rip off" is an exaggeration. If OP is correct than he has some minor legitimate gripes but has exhibited poor judgement in laying out his case. With all the information thus far shared fishing with Capt Pat sounds like a lot more fun than with the self appointed spokesman of "complete rip off". This thread is a testimonial that character matters a lot to most fishermen.

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Isn't the captain the one in charge? Should he have came down and taken a vote or something. Or is he the one that put the boat on top of incredible fishing and left it to the group to put the fish in range of the gaff.

Anyway ima call and see if they have any spots available this weekend I wanna catch a limit of tuna fishes.

I'm with you, let's fish the Pac Dawn with Pat! Looks like an open spot or two on this charter next season. Let's book it and go with some friends. Whaddaya say. Uh, Mike, you stay home. Oops, just checked and my negative ratings just tripled! I expect it to go up again, maybe quadruple! Just glad Bieber doesn't matter. ;)

And by the way, all of you armchair rocket scientists who know everything there is to know about limits and killing them all, you might want to check out the fish reports on Fisherman's Landing where you'll see none of the boats that have done 2 day trips have reported catching more than 10 Yellowfin per angler.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
what time is the charger game on sunday?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
You guys are being way to nice....making those Mods work way too hard LOL

Upvote 0

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
Corona
Name
Jeff
Boat
Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
Wonder if the captain or crew might chime in and give their side? I'd be pissed if the captain told me I had "more fish than I know what to do with it" or if the captain told me he was going to follow mexican laws in US waters.

I've always wondered why 90% of the people here defend captains (even if they screw up) and kiss their ass like they're going to get something out of it?

If the story is as advertised, my guess is the crew was probably pissed off at the decision too as their tip no doubt was minimal.

Reactions: KnotyBuoyz
Upvote 0

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
for everyone that keeps saying "you got your limit" are only part right. 10 fish per calender day per angler of a single species . the boat was not 200 miles offshore, they were by SCI and CAT. so could have motored to either island and fished the kelp beds, calicos, yellowtail etc. to complete a 20 fish per day limit in ca.
see page 33 in attachment for details.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=40696&inline=1

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
"Complete rip off" is an exaggeration. If OP is correct than he has some minor legitimate gripes but has exhibited poor judgement in laying out his case. With all the information thus far shared fishing with Capt Pat sounds like a lot more fun than with the self appointed spokesman of "complete rip off". This thread is a testimonial that character matters a lot to most fishermen.

Were you there? Did you hear how pissed off people were? I was and I heard it. That's why i posted. As I said before, there were people much more pissed than I was. Waaay more pissed than me. But most people won't get on a computer and post it because they can't be bothered. I can be bothered no problem. Did I know many of you would disagree with my post? Duh! Of course. Do I care? Not in the slightest. So many more people on this thread are able to read it without getting offended than there are haters like you. And there will always be people who will put a boat owner on a pedestle and given near god status. I wrote the report as many people on that boat and I saw it. PERIOD! Done! There are always 2 sides to the story and the crew and chartermaster will have theirs. The people who feel stiffed feel what they feel and nothings gonna change it. They/I were there, you weren't. Deal with it.

Reactions: hronk
Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
for everyone that keeps saying "you got your limit" are only part right. 10 fish per calender day per angler of a single species . the boat was not 200 miles offshore, they were by SCI and CAT. so could have motored to either island and fished the kelp beds, calicos, yellowtail etc. to complete a 20 fish per day limit in ca.
see page 33 in attachment for details.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=40696&inline=1

Reads his whole post. They did go fish clemente for the afternoon. The anglers apparently quit fishing.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Were you there? Did you hear how pissed off people were? I was and I heard it. That's why i posted. As I said before, there were people much more pissed than I was. Waaay more pissed than me. But most people won't get on a computer and post it because they can't be bothered. I can be bothered no problem. Did I know many of you would disagree with my post? Duh! Of course. Do I care? Not in the slightest. So many more people on this thread are able to read it without getting offended than there are haters like you. And there will always be people who will put a boat owner on a pedestle and given near god status. I wrote the report as many people on that boat and I saw it. PERIOD! Done! There are always 2 sides to the story and the crew and chartermaster will have theirs. The people who feel stiffed feel what they feel and nothings gonna change it. They/I were there, you weren't. Deal with it.
I want to know it you guy's paid for MEX permit's' if you did then that's the answer ' maybe he wanted to keep the window open to cross the Boarder for the second day????????????????

Reactions: ladyluck
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.