Offshore Pacific Dawn 2 day charter complete rip off!!!

PENN
Status
Not open for further replies.

"No Limitz"

Jun 16, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Ryan
Boat
Topaz
you're confused. read again. i caught 15 fish the first day. i took 10 fish for 2 days when i could've had a minimum of 15 for 2 days, well within allowed limits. many people caught more than 10 but were "allowed" only 10 to take home after 2 days fishing. Fined? LOL you're silly. I've owned a boat for 16 years and only ride cattle boats once in a blue moon to hang out with my friends on charters like this. and yes, i'm happy with my limit any time, not just when others don't get theirs. sleep tight honey.

When you do a multiday trip on any boat, and you plan to keep more than 1 days limits of a species, you have to go to the DFG office and buy a multiday limits permit. The permit is very strict on departure and return times, the captains name and boat numbers are recorded when you buy it at the office, and it must be signed and stamped.

IF you dont have a permit for multiday limits, you cant keep over 1 day limits no matter how many days or months you've been on the water. There is no way to tell if you are telling the truth about the length of time you've been on the water. If you have over 1 day limits and you get stopped by DFW without a permit you will be cited.

The front side of SCI is the DFW stomping grounds. You guys could have easily been stopped. And I am sure that Pat probably didnt have the multiday permit for his boat. He should have just told you that instead of trying to side step the question. IF you guys didnt have the permit then you did in fact catch your legal limit on the trip.

There has also been a lot of BFT where you guys looked. Sounds like they didnt want to play.

Reactions: ladyluck
Upvote 0

AZTunaBaron

Aug 11, 2010
Phx,AZ for the time being
Name
Baron was my dog
Boat
Someday
OP thanks for sharing, obviously you knew not everyone would agree, but it seems to me you tried to make an honest and thought out attempt to relay information.

Don't worry about the haters.

Obviously the US law is that you may not take your 2day limit in less than 2days, so if Capt. Pat shut it down for that reason, I'd imagine in hindsight you'd have to agree it's his responsibility to comply with the law.

The interesting thing to me is it does not seem like it was the Chartermaster's call on what to fish for and when; most of the charters I have been on were the opposite of that. Maybe on the Pac Dawn the Capt always makes the call regardless of open party or chartered?

Every boat, every trip I learn something, maybe what you and some of us learned this trip was to ask a few more questions about the operation were are spending our money with and see what their answers/expectations are on any given trip.

To the guy that said he won't do 2day trips again because of this...sometimes a 2day trip gives you the best chance, sometimes day 2's morning sucks and you go home thinking a 1.5 would have been a better choice.

It's fishing and it's all chance timing...

Reactions: ladyluck and Knives
Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
This is my understanding:

You (and every other individual onboard) have a personal responsibility to manage your own daily catch. You also have a legal obligation to take only 10 fish of one species during a single calendar day in US waters. If you want to give away your fish prior to taking all 10, fine -- then you can keep fishing. However, once reaching 10 you must target another species (for a total daily bag limit of 20 if you should be so fortunate with some obvious exceptions of course); play C&R; or better yet hook and hand off to those less fortunate. A chance at the big BFT sounds pretty good to me after a full day of YFT limits.

The Captain has a personal responsibility to manage the boat's daily catch and also has a legal obligation to stop targeting a species once that single-calendar-day's daily boat limit has been reached. I don't necessarily understand or support the entire Mexican limits in US waters position, but he is the Captain and his intent probably should have been spelled out early on -- rules to live by up front.

Everyone here should want to maintain a healthy and sustainable fishery!

Now, if I paid any amount of money to fish, I would want to and expect to receive exactly the trip I paid for...

Not being able to select which 10 fish to keep would seriously bum me out too, but wouldn't have been an issue if managed properly. Take control of your own bag limit as mentioned above and you control your own destiny so to speak. I believe there may be some subtle and unwritten element of punishment built in for those with overlimits who have illegally put the boat, the Captain and the entire operation at risk. Manage it yourself and you get to keep your 10 best fish without any unwanted arbitration!

Otherwise, it sounds like one hell of a first day -- congrats. I wish I had that as my biggest problem -- all would be good in the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
It sounds like this was a charter trip and not an open party trip. Where is the chartermaster in all of this mess. He is the guy who wrote a check for 8 or 9 thousand dollars and he is the guy who's name is on all of the paperwork. Was he talking to the captain, was he involved in the decisions about dividing up the fish and where to go and what to do on day 2. Until I hear something from the guy who arranged and paid for the trip I'm not going to pay too much attention to the stuff being written here.

Reactions: wags59 and Knives
Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
It sounds like this was a charter trip and not an open party trip. Where is the chartermaster in all of this mess. He is the guy who wrote a check for 8 or 9 thousand dollars and he is the guy who's name is on all of the paperwork. Was he talking to the captain, was he involved in the decisions about dividing up the fish and where to go and what to do on day 2. Until I hear something from the guy who arranged and paid for the trip I'm not going to pay too much attention to the stuff being written here.

You aren't reading along, are you.

The Chartermaster was banned from the boat after this episode.

Get caught up!

LOL

Upvote 0

jktracing

Almost A Member
Nov 17, 2011
Torrance
Name
eddie
Boat
nothing!
From Title 14, section 195

Some more info about this topic:

Boat Limits: When two or more persons licensed or otherwise authorized to sport fish in ocean
waters off California or in the San Francisco Bay District, as defined in Section 27.00, are angling for
finfish in these waters aboard a vessel licensed under Section 7920, fishing by these persons (to include
vessel operator(s) and crew members where licensed to sportfish under their own individual limits) may
continue until the passenger’s boat limits of those finfish are taken and possessed aboard the vessel
as authorized under this section.

Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
Also normally the charter master has the say typically in what and where to fish. You could have told the chartermaster to talk to the captain to still fish YFT.

I think people wanted to trust in the captain to find the BFT, but when NO bft was found, then it became the captains fault. Damned if he did and Damned if he didn't. Not easy being a captain....

However, there are plenty of Crappy ass captains....

Upvote 0

Liverlips

Sep 12, 2014
Name
John
Boat
Gregor
Enough people in this thread have. You did say you went up to the second captain and talked to him about why you couldn't illegally keep 2 days worth of limits in 1 day. While you didn't talk directly to the captain those things do get back to them. This is their livelihood, they don't like people who jeopordize it. I do agree it was bs you couldn't choose which fish you were allowed to keep.
It was simple, they gave the person their 10 largest, who would complain about that?
When I have a bit mor time later I will comment as to what really happened on this trip .
I was the chartermaster and after hearing this negativity about my trip, it's time to set some things has straight!

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Yes, I read that post and all 12 pages of this mess. I did not see any posts from anyone who identified himself as the chartermaster for this trip. If he has been banned from future trips then he has no reason to keep silent about the trip. I'm just saying that I would like to get the chartermasters version of what took place on the trip. Usually on charter trips the chartermaster is the guy involved in the conversations and decisions with the captain. I think his comments on the trip would be very helpful in trying to understand what took place.

Reactions: wags59
Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Good pizza, East coast style is better than Tuna anyway :)

Catch and Release. Never leave a great bite. Pop till you drop!

Too many people are just concerned with filling the bags and this is the reason a lot of the captains just leave WFO bites. It is how we have been trained- Fish killing machines! A lot of people will just catch till the boat cant fit any more fish and will only stop when the Capt tells them they must.

Many(most) Fisherman are not trained or practiced in C & R. If we were, The Captains could stay on these WFO bites and let everyone have a blast. Many of the sport boats aren't trained to well in C & R either. Seems like its too easy to gaff a fish then release hooked fish successfully. This is the reason why things are the way they are. They have to save us from ourselves.

The only thing I think that happened on this trip was a communications breakdown somewhere between the Captain, charter master and passengers. With proper communication - most of these issues would never of surfaced.
I wish we had catch and release trips! Heck ya! Or trips where u kept 1 fish and fished ur brains out! That would be great!

Reactions: vegasandre
Upvote 0

boomboom213

Aug 31, 2006
compton
Name
hpppyo
Boat
whatever
nommer.gif

Reactions: KnotyBuoyz
Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
I was on a trip last week we killed alot of YF on 1 stop, Capt, on another boat did the same thing some of us were over limits in 15 minutes, they made sure all passengers went home with a limit I gave 7 YF away regardless of size. IMO taking home 20 YF per angler is fucking Overkill unless you have a family of 40 plus or you are donating to Homeless charity. You seem Greedy to me, so I doubt a donation was in your mind. We havent had a season like this since Mid 1995 Do you want to wipe out all the Yellowfinn now, so our Kids have nothing to look forward to in the Future.

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2008
In the boat/in the blind
Name
Bill
Boat
18' westcoaster SOLD
I was on a trip last week we killed alot of YF on 1 stop, Capt, on another boat did the same thing some of us were over limits in 15 minutes, they made sure all passengers went home with a limit I gave 7 YF away regardless of size. IMO taking home 20 YF per angler is fucking Overkill unless you have a family of 40 plus or you are donating to Homeless charity. You seem Greedy to me, so I doubt a donation was in your mind. We havent had a season like this since Mid 1995 Do you want to wipe out all the Yellowfinn now, so our Kids have nothing to look forward to in the Future.

So why did you keep that huge tuna in your avatar do you have 40 people in your family? You keep killing all the big ones and our kids will never catch one:D

Upvote 0

fish2fish

Apr 4, 2014
Simi Valley
Name
Walt
Boat
no boat
Now you understand why on some of these boats, for guys like you, burning up with tuna fever, they have a refrigerator full of beer in the galley. You need to have a cold one and reflect on how great the fishing is and stop worrying about whether someone is ripping you off. Also, from reading you report, it looks like you were on the water two days, so you did get what you paid for. Your dispute is the way the captain fished it. But he's still the captain. You caught a lot of fish! Seems like you were on a great trip!

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Is Capt Pat the owner of the Pacific Dawn?

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Yes, I read that post and all 12 pages of this mess. I did not see any posts from anyone who identified himself as the chartermaster for this trip. If he has been banned from future trips then he has no reason to keep silent about the trip. I'm just saying that I would like to get the chartermasters version of what took place on the trip. Usually on charter trips the chartermaster is the guy involved in the conversations and decisions with the captain. I think his comments on the trip would be very helpful in trying to understand what took place.
See 1 post up

Reactions: ladyluck
Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
WORKING ON IT.
Last edited:
Reactions: skipjackrobert
Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
LOL so many haters! Same thing happened to me when I posted about my bad experience on the Black Pearl... Bunch of cunts sitting behind their desks talking shit... Dont worry about it dude, I thought it was a good report. Very informative... SOrry You had a bad time. Ive heard mixed reviews, of people having good times on that boat too... Haven't been on it before, so I can't tell for myself...

But they definitely should not be able to tell you how many you can or can't take home.... CA law allows you to take 10 per day, which means you have the right to take 20 home, which I do agree with everyone else, is probably too much, especially on a multi day... but nonetheless, its the law, and it allows for you to take 20 fish home, should you chose to do so.

Based on everything you said in your post, from your side's perspective only, as we don't know the other sides, I don't think anybody should be complaining about what you've said.
killer report. Sorry you had a bad time.
The hell with all the haters... Bunch of CHUMPS!
-Aren

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
It was simple, they gave the person their 10 largest, who would complain about that?
When I have a bit mor time later I will comment as to what really happened on this trip .
I was the chartermaster and after hearing this negativity about my trip, it's time to set some things has straight!

negative on that. i DID NOT get my 10 largest. i stood there and watched my fish come out with each of two batches of fish that night for cleaning. Fernando and mike both said we ultimately DO NOT personally pick our 10 largest, they do, and that sometimes we lose out on poundage because of that, but that's how it happens sometimes. My close friend of over 20 years who went on last year's charter trip when they got into bigger BFT said specifically that his largest BFT was given away, in spite of his protest to give a smaller one away. He still talks about that to this day, so obviously many people are not agreeable with how that aspect of that boat is managed. Stick to the truth please. If not, then you're calling people like him, fernando, mike and me all liars.

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console

write your congressman for a change in limits

Reactions: Professor
Upvote 0

drseiler

Super-Model
Mar 19, 2006
Camp North-Star
Name
Hal Danish or Harry Tators
Boat
19' Mako
Wow, I'm gone for 1 day and all hell breaks loose.:D Limits are limits. Be happy you guys slayed it. Would you like to hear how much I spent on fuel in my own boat last weekend for nothing but a beating? Then again we are all waiting for both sides here right?

Man I am glad I am not a captain of a big fishing boat. Best season in years and still unhappy people. 2 trips ago I came home with a shit ton of tuna. I gave a bunch to family and friends and I still have about 30#'s in thee freezer. It's about the experience and ability to share with family and friends. Well for me it is.

I hope this gets resolved peacefully and made good for both sides.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.