Offshore Pac Voyager 5 1/2 day (late report)

mike82

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
This report is 4 days late. Got back Sunday night 10/29 after 5 1/2 epic days of fishing on an annual private charter that a great group of guys that call themselves the Rat Bastards take every October. This was my 2nd time on this trip, the first being in 2015.
We left Tuesday at noon into blissful warm, sunny weather with relatively flat calm seas. Our first stop was approximately 90 miles SW on a kelp that Captain/Owner Mark had marked on the previous trip with a GPS buoy. I awoke to dark skies and saw the strobe off in the distance. We had water temps in the low 70s and flat calm seas. We bobbed around until gray light and then all hell broke loose! Mark positioned the boat, baits were tossed and it was game on for the next several hours on football YFT tuna, fire cracker YT and smaller dodos. Everything that hit the water was instantly inhaled. Bait was phenomenal nice sized cured dines. I immediately opted for the 100gr coltsniper in blue/pink. It was new when I tied it on and demolished after 5 1/2 days of use. All 3 species ate it with reckless abandon, as well as any other type of iron. We absolutely pounded that paddy and it never stopped giving.
We eventually moved on (leaving the gps buoy (affectionately named Vanessa) in place) and paddy hopped south, stopping on several others, plucking fish as we went. But no others were as productive as that first one. Boy, that Vanessa, she's a real giver. We ended an epic day of paddy raiding with good food, craft beers and great camaraderie. Mark motored on with the next target Colnet for the big deep yellows.
We awoke Thursday morning to more flat calm seas at Colnet and proceeded to motor around looking for the big yellows that 2 other well known big boats hammered the day before. We eventually found them and proceeded to put the hurt to them. It was never wide open but at times the fish came up aggressively, busting the chum and hooked baits and putting on a surface show. I bypassed the bait and went straight to the heavy iron like I did on this trip 2 years ago. They bit the iron well, both on the fall and retrieve. I used super heavy 187 Jigs yoyo jigs and 200gr Shimano flatfalls. They ripped both!
After a morning hammering the yellows we made the call to head back offshore and pound Vanessa once again, and pound her good we did. GOOD CALL! We got to her and picked up right where we left off the day before. WFO!!! I went straight to the sniper, while the majority went to bait. Aaron was tossing the popper and hammering them. I caught fish after fish on the sniper but after watching Aaron on the popper I just had to try it. I had never tossed a popper before but I had a brand new Halco Roosta in the blue and chrome color. I tied it on my 9 fter with my brand new Saltiga 40HA star drag. AWESOME!! Caught my 1st popper fish as football after football exploded on it. That was bad ass! I'm hooked on the poppers! Can't wait 'til a big tuna blasts it one day. So we spent the 2nd half of the day slaying fish after fish until we had our fill. Capt Mark called it a day and we settled into another nice sunset, more craft beers and another night of sleeping like a baby. Next stop, Punto Canoas for more big yellows.
I awoke Friday morning and we were still chugging south. We arrived to Canoas not long after and found the first school in short order. I'm sure you can guess what came next. Yep, we proceeded to put the hurt on the deep yellows, with some coming all the way to the surface to blast tossed baits and hooked baits. I went straight to the heavy iron and once again made my mark at the bow of the boat with nice grade 20 - 30+ lb yellows ALL ON THE IRON. I'm so hooked on iron on the bow I don't even bother with bait anymore. There were some nice 40 lbers that came over the rail too. We putted from school to school, which didn't take long each time. The place was LOADED with fish! We slayed 'em! There were high fives and beers all around. If you haven't been to Canoas, you gotta go! The place is yellowtail heaven. After knocking the hell out of them we made to the call to head further inshore to hit the big calicos. Mark took us to an absolutely insane calico/grumpy/yellowtail spot amongst lobster buoys with a small fishing village off in the distance. The crew dropped the hook in 50ft or so and complete mayhem ensued. Holy shit, complete mayhem! BIGGER YELLOWS, healthy calicos, big sandy bass all going ape shit! Baits were getting inhaled instantly. My snipers and surface irons were getting demolished. High fives and beers all around! So what did I do next after a couple hours of mayhem??? Started tossing the popper of course. Why not, I thought? If they work on the tuna then why not on the yellows? First cast a yellow exploded on it but missed. 2nd cast WHAM! Connected and landed a nice yellow. I drag him to he back of the boat and Aaron looks at it and exclaims, "On the popper?!!!". I was like hell yeah! So badass! Someone landed a FAT ASS sandy with a HUGE BELLY. My guess was around 8 pounds! Biggest sandy I've ever seen in person. So there we stayed for the rest of the afternoon into evening. More high fives and beers all around.
That night we took off north to Geronimo Island to take a shot at the halibut the next morning. We traveled all night and the weather came up. What a rough night of sleep, given I had a bunk in the forward bunk room. Up and down, up and down, all god damn night. Not fun or restful. We get on the spot Saturday morning in the dark and at gray light the baits hit the water. Not a single halibut bit. Not sure if anyone even got a bite. That was the only low spot of the trip. We soon left Geronimo and headed just a bit further north to wreak havoc on BIG BLANCO FISH. We get to the spot, anchor up and proceed to hammer huge blancos, and nice big goats! KILLER ACTION! These were the biggest whitefish I have ever seen! Absolutely massive fish! And the goats!!! Damn! Nice and big with those huge teeth and sweet red and black colors. And charter master Dan landed a nice big ling to boot! We tore the fish up! We spent all afternoon there. More high fives and beers all around. This would be our last stop, as we fished 'til evening.
What an absolutely fabulous trip! A great group of guys, every last one a true RAT BASTARD. Captain Mark is a born fish killer. Deckhands Cody and Mitch first rate and oh so cool. Cook Jeff didn't disappoint either. So what else can I say? Another one for the history books. What a way to end 2017.
Many thanks to charter master Dan Rivas of Dan's Custom Fishing Rods for putting such a wonderful trip together every year. You're a first rate guy and great fisherman! Thanks to an outstanding crew for their expertise and great customer service. Thanks to all the Rat Bastards for the camaraderie, sharing of knowledge and crazy fun time. Til next year guys! HOOAHH!

20171024_134014.jpg
20171026_175814.jpg
20171026_171046.jpg
20171029_162036.jpg
20171029_160542.jpg
20171030_100619.jpg
20171030_100613.jpg
20171030_101054.jpg
20171030_100816.jpg
20171030_170335.jpg
20171101_180218.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RockyGizmo

Almost A Member
Mar 15, 2017
Goleta, CA
Name
Alexei
Boat
Cattle Boats from all over California
OMG
You Suck!
That isn’t a late fish report; that’s a Great Fish Report
Looks like an awesome trip - good pictures too.
Reading this at work is like dreaming that I was there myself.
Based on your experience... BZ! Hats off to good boat & great crew.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: mike82
Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Been there and done that... That Sacramento reef produces some ass white fish. Lots of good eats. That boat and captain is the best!

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

My freezer is pathetic compared to yours. I should go fishing.

Do you have a family of 36, or did we miss the neighborhood party? Dang that's a packed baking sheet! Looks awesome.

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
Screenshot_20171103-202122.png
Screenshot_20171103-202153.png
tell me a little more about what you got going on that baking sheet.looks yummy.

So, officially this is a ginger sauce. Make sure the ratio of ginger powder to garlic powder is 2:1. Black pepper is just to taste and not a whole lot. The original recipe did not feature toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds or chile flakes but I added them somewhere along the way because it's just so good. Back in the early days of Chark Bait I was at a BBQ with the Chark Bait club behind the shop in HB. One of the members had fresh mako he caught and this sauce. I couldn't believe how good it was, so I got the recipe and have been making it ever since. Add the red chile flakes and Japanese black toasted sesame seeds prior to hitting the grill or mixed in, whatever you like. I think it looks nicer sprinkled on top. This recipe will literally knock your socks off it's so delicious. I always have people fighting for the leftover cold sauce because it's so good. And their fingers always scrape the bowl clean. ENJOY!

Last edited:
Reactions: finishright
Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
My freezer is pathetic compared to yours. I should go fishing.

Do you have a family of 36, or did we miss the neighborhood party? Dang that's a packed baking sheet! Looks awesome.

LOL! Just me, myself and I. But I've already given lots to my girlfriend and her kids, my dad and his GF, my cousin (who's spot I took on that trip LOL!), my buddy Eddie (who lent me the Yeti that kept my craft beer cold for 5 days), coworkers, my barber in exchange for a free haircut, Modern Times Brewery in exchange for free beer tasting and beer to- go Sunday night after we got back, my local brewery and bottle shop up here in Eagle Rock/Highland Park in exchange for free beer drinking (and I ain't BSing either). So yeah, I share. But I'll still have enough to last 'til the fish return next summer!

Reactions: Paddyman1
Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
Any pics of the white fish and goats?

unfortunately, I didn't get pics of them. the quality was truly insane on the whitefish, though. I had no idea they got that big. and the goats some people got were just as impressive.

Upvote 0

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
How are the bunks on this boat? I’ve never fished it but have a trip coming up.

They're good. 4 bunks per room with i think 7 or so rooms. The forward bunk room bunks r huge! I was lucky enough to get the same bunk up they're both trips. So much room on one of those bunks for all your gear and for you to literally roll around the bed. The only drawback is if it's really rough because of course the bow of the boat moves the most in rough water. And their air conditioning kicks ass.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
Name
Robert
Boat
none
They're good. 4 bunks per room with i think 7 or so rooms. The forward bunk room bunks r huge! I was lucky enough to get the same bunk up they're both trips. So much room on one of those bunks for all your gear and for you to literally roll around the bed. The only drawback is if it's really rough because of course the bow of the boat moves the most in rough water. And their air conditioning kicks ass.
Awesome, I’m on a 3.5 day trip and think I have a bow bunk.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    AWESOME Report and pics Mike and nice load of fish everyone!
    NOW I'm hungry for tuna again, forcing me to take some out for tonight..LOL

Upvote 0

Bubba

May 6, 2004
    Pismo Beach
    Name
    Bubba
    Boat
    18' Trophy
    unfortunately, I didn't get pics of them. the quality was truly insane on the whitefish, though. I had no idea they got that big. and the goats some people got were just as impressive.

Great report, love the Pac Voyager. White Fish, Poor mans YT.

Upvote 0