Pac Queen 3 day prep

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
I've got a 3 day trip on the Pac Queen coming up in a few weeks and figured I better pick up a few extra jigs since they've been the hot ticket the last few weeks. Any flat fall and coltsniper type jig is impossible to find from LA south so whenever I find some I pick up a few extras. Here's my latest score, I'll upgrade the split rings and hooks on the snipers and add a 400# leader to the flat falls.....

PXL_20210727_040613229.jpg

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
I've got a 3 day trip on the Pac Queen coming up in a few weeks and figured I better pick up a few extra jigs since they've been the hot ticket the last few weeks. Any flat fall and coltsniper type jig is impossible to find from LA south so whenever I find some I pick up a few extras. Here's my latest score, I'll upgrade the split rings and hooks on the snipers and add a 400# leader to the flat falls.....

View attachment 1303005
You need 300g and 400g knife jig.

Reactions: caballo del mar
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    That's a lot of jigs for what's been lately paddy yellowtail and dorado fishing. The bluefin have mostly moved west and north.
    There's been a lot SEEN but few biting close or far offshore.
    Hoping they find some bluefin that want to play still. GL on trip.

Reactions: caballo del mar
    Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    You need 300g and 400g knife jig.
    Yeah, I take one of those :D
    I take 5 jigs, from 6X Jr to a 400g knife jig( only used if the drift is real fast)
    I don't believe in glow, don't believe in SK, don't believe in Katy Perry LOLMy last trip, should seen night #2, everyone checking out my chrome Salas 6X, wondering if their jigs were close to the same.
    Here's the deal: put it in front of a hungry one and you'll get a bite!
    But the tackle stores love you guys that gotta have multiple sizes, multiple colors, multiple brands.
    Pick a jig you can maximize your up downs, and you'll have a better chance of finding that hungry one!
    This last trip, I could feel the fish, my jig bouncing off them on the way down! Sometimes you get a bite, sometimes not.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    During the day bluefin seem to be bluefin.
    But at night they fall victim to the jig.
    You have to use their eyesight against them at night.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Ditto - bring some heavy knife jigs - 400 gr rip/roll, Mustad - blue and pink

have a few. Start hunting for gear now due to shortage and do look online and order with time to deliver. I am in San Diego - no Penn 16VISX reels in town,no Depth Finder spectra also. Got both online. Leave tomorrow 9am for a 6 day( Lupe & ???). Can't wait to try the 16 VISX.

P.S. and most important. Pack early. GET PLENTY OF SLEEP in the DAYS before as you may not be sleeping at all during your 3 day. Sleep management is important so communicate with crew & captain as what fishing when and have a good sleep management plan

P.P.S. Mark your line with sharpie so you know how deep you are. See picture. 2 stakes 33.3 feet apart with third stake in middle. Use MAGNUM SHARPIE ( from Target). Tie mono topshot to one end stake and walk circles around the outer stakes with reel in clicker mode. When all mono topshot is out, record mono length. During trip as use & cut mono, it shortens. So just memorize/write it down.

As specta comes out, I mark every 100 feet with a 5 inch long black coating on spectra( 3 loops around a 33.3 foot = 100 feet). I also use the middle stakes to determine the 50 foot marker which is 5, 2 inch long dashes of sharpie. COVER ALL SIDES OPF SPECTRA BLACK.

Keep going till you are almost down to your knot on the spool. Easy to see the markings at night. Easiest way is top watch the as they come out of the last guide of pole and are going down towards the water. Alternating black/white that is easy to count

0.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    My method for line marking was to get out my old Penn 6/0 and set up rod holders in my lawn, 50' apart. I'd reel in on the 6/0 and let the black marks dry for a bit before reeling/marking another 50' (same as RR, two dashes for 50 and long solid for 100). Then, I'd reel back from the 6/0 with about 10# of drag. I tried using red for 50 but it smeared even though I let it dry.

Upvote 0

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    I would change the hooks on the coltsnippers hopefully you’re set on hooks a lot of the yellowtail, dodo, and YFT are on bait.

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    I appreciate all the advice and I've already taken care of some of it....
    The snipers will get upgraded split rings and hooks. The flat falls will get bridled to a big circle hooks on a extra heavy mono leader.

My 40nld2 and mak 16 already have marked line down to about 400 ft.....

I've got plenty of bait hooks

Plenty of sleep before hand isn't gonna happen..... I've been basically working 12 hours a day since July 1st and things are slowing down..... Fire season is in full effect!

Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    I appreciate all the advice and I've already taken care of some of it....
    The snipers will get upgraded split rings and hooks. The flat falls will get bridled to a big circle hooks on a extra heavy mono leader.

My 40nld2 and mak 16 already have marked line down to about 400 ft.....

I've got plenty of bait hooks

Plenty of sleep before hand isn't gonna happen..... I've been basically working 12 hours a day since July 1st and things are slowing down..... Fire season is in full effect!
    You're a firefighter?

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    Last night I got a call from Fishermans Landing and they informed me that a spot opened up on the trip before my 3 day and it was mine if I wanted it, I told them "hell ya!". I was 3rd on the wait list when i called last so I'm assuming a big group cancelled. So now I'll be on the Pac Queen for back to back trips, the first is a 1.5 day and the second is a 3 day. I'm stoked the spot opened up on the PQ because I was looking into fishing a different boat and the logistics were getting tricky and now all my gear can stay onboard between the trips.

The recent fish counts look great for yt and mahi but the tuna (bft & yft) have dropped way off....the trips about 3 weeks away so anything can happen....

I'm just glad I'll be able to get in some serious rail time this summer

PJ

Reactions: Shon and Tom123
    Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    You might want to buy some 400g and 500g jigs.......the big bft are usually cruising between 240-400+ feet down in the dark.

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    I got an order of Hogy protail swimbaits for my fishing adventures over the next few months and plan on bringing a couple on my Pac Queen trips next month. The have VMC 3X hooks and are good for fish up to around 50-75#. I use them in florida for big tarpon and snook as well as strips in Connecticut. I think they'll be perfect for the yt, mahi and smaller tunas being caught right now!

PXL_20210729_061704229.jpg

Steve K
    Steve K
    Jason Jones made those successful on Bluefin a while back.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

psteuermann

Jan 23, 2014
    Name
    peter steuermann
    Boat
    trophy hunter
    Last night I got a call from Fishermans Landing and they informed me that a spot opened up on the trip before my 3 day and it was mine if I wanted it, I told them "hell ya!". I was 3rd on the wait list when i called last so I'm assuming a big group cancelled. So now I'll be on the Pac Queen for back to back trips, the first is a 1.5 day and the second is a 3 day. I'm stoked the spot opened up on the PQ because I was looking into fishing a different boat and the logistics were getting tricky and now all my gear can stay onboard between the trips.

The recent fish counts look great for yt and mahi but the tuna (bft & yft) have dropped way off....the trips about 3 weeks away so anything can happen....

I'm just glad I'll be able to get in some serious rail time this summer

PJ

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Some of you guys could own a boat for what you spend in tackle to go a few times a year, to each his own..... Im on the PQ next Saturday for an overnighter with some jigs three rigs a couple flat falls and a pocket full of hooks, Tight lines gents!

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    🤙🏾 Your on the right boat. Surrounded with good fishers. Like a protective force field shield. Minimizes tangles and burn offs, ect

Get in where you fit in

Upvote 0

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat
    N/A
    Some of you guys could own a boat for what you spend in tackle to go a few times a year, to each his own..... Im on the PQ next Saturday for an overnighter with some jigs three rigs a couple flat falls and a pocket full of hooks, Tight lines gents!
    Let us know how you do!

I justify a lot of my tackle purchases because I use them here in CA but also Florida and Connecticut

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Let us know how you do!

I justify a lot of my tackle purchases because I use them here in CA but also Florida and Connecticut
    Apologies if I came off as a smart ass that wasn’t my intention, I got roped in myself last weekend at fisherman‘s landing to get the latest hot flat for for $45 because we were supposedly looking for tuna, we went to bed at 10 thinking that we were going to be up at 1 AM dropping flat falls just outside La Jolla as that’s where the bite had been but the Captain opted to go left into Mexico for excellent hook n line yellowtail fishing my point being we spend so much time and money thinking about it and so little on the water it’s ironic, having a slipped boat makes it even worse!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Everything/rigging can go right out the window. During travel after days, weeks, months of preparation :D

Pb is easy. Just a few fish makes a great trip

Party boat needs the mother load. To satisfy 20+ fishers

Upvote 0