Pac Queen 1/17-1/19 report

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by T-Tang, Jan 22, 2018.

1. T-Tang

T-Tang Far from newbie, but lifetime learner

Name:
    Tyson
    Boat:
    21' Bayliner Trophy
    After seeing the wonderful report from the previous trip and having no work obligations for the period of time in which the next trip was set to go, I decided to jump on the Pacific Queen to pursue quality grade bluefin. I was very optimistic on the load the day before and in the morning of the departure date, until it started booking up to full capacity towards the end of the day, with the last two spots booked 20 minutes prior to departure (I guess that's expected with the awesome previous report). I was able to get down to the landing early and had no trouble finding a parking spot. I got on the boat, rigged up and tried very hard to catch sleep. I got up around 5:30ish to fish a glow-in-the-dark flatfall to no avail. As the day went on, we wound up having a plunker bite. A majority of the fish were in the 50 pound class and above, with one fish going 150 lbs. I wound up getting only a 15 lber for my efforts. I'm thankful to have been able to catch a bluefin in January, although I would really like to get out of this sub-50 lb tuna bracket as I have been fishing for tuna long enough and it would progress me in this sport if I caught the bigger models. I'd like to give a huge thanks to Captain Gavin and crew for putting us on the fish.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Thanks for report. At least you got dinner and a chance for a #150.

What size line was best?

3. T-Tang

Name:
    Tyson
    Boat:
    21' Bayliner Trophy
    40 lb test seemed to get bit best. 30 lb and anything lighter suffered a few casualties.

4. MissMandy

MissMandy Newbie

Name:
    Don Trojan
    Boat:
    Miss Mandy
    You got the odds in your favor. Great boat and great captain.

5. XBDEE

XBDEE Member

Name:
    Dee
    Boat:
    N/a
    Just keep at it. Those big fish will come!

T-Tang likes this.
  6. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    I had hoped to jump on the PQ this trip too but unfortunately got a bit behind in work and couldn't leave LA until about 4PM. It would've been nice if the traffic was light but even with a fastrack pass there was no way for me to make it to SD by 6.I still tried and even called to see if the PQ would leave late but it was not meant to be. LA traffic stinks...Sorry to hear that you didn't get bit by one of the bigger boys on this trip. If the storms don't chase these guys away, and if the Captains can find where they've moved, then hopefully you'll get another shot(s) at them in this never ending amazing season. 31 guys did post a count of 54 bluefin. And according to my friend and avid veteran angler, Tony, who did make it there in time, it was an epic day. He put on the boat 6 fish from 60-160# ! Hard to believe but his 1.5 day catch was even better than many long range trips. I am posting parts of our conversation per his OK and blessing. If you see a guy with a spinning reel combo bent over and pulling hard, that's Tony with his Terez/Stella or old reliable Calstar 20-50 graphite doing battle. He was fishing 50# with a 2/0 Owner Mutu Circle Hook for his 160#er and another 100+#er( I think he said 130#). The other 4 that were 60#+ were caught on a 40# setup with a 1/0 J hook and the same 50# with a 2/0 circle. Smaller hook to match the smaller bait. All fish were caught flylined. As mentioned by Tyson, it was a plunker bite searching multiple schools for a few fish willing to play in each school. There were some massive schools with a mixed grade of 20-200#. Elementary, Junior High and High School size were sometimes all in one school. Captain Gavin and crew had to work hard to keep the rods bending. The secret per Tony and secret on every boat was to get a hot bait that swims like Phelps, Spitz or Biondi. Then wait for that line to peel out and takeoff like a Porshe 911 or for the environmentally conscious, like the Tesla. Only thing interested in slow moving bait are the birds. It's very likely that those that didn't get bit on this trip were fishing with slow moving or no moving bait. I asked Tony if he happened to be sore still after being several days back on land. He said, "Yes, I am. But it's a good problem to have". Amen to that!

TONY's 160 POUNDER PQ 01.18.2018.jpg

The Freediver, scfisher, 998R and 4 others like this.
  7. doncatfish

doncatfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25' Hydra-Sport
    I’ve fished with Tony and his spinning gear a few times for the larger unit BFT - he is a hell of an angler and good guy. Nice freakin 1.5 day catch, in January no less. No surprise Gavin continues to find the fish.

8. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Every time out on the water increases your odds.
    You saw and caught fish.
    Thanks for posting your experience.

T-Tang likes this.
  9. cbadcrew

cbadcrew Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joeb1
    Boat:
    2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
    Yes ditto on the report
    About where were the fish?
    100+miles south of the country?

10. dtfisherman

dtfisherman GONE FISHING

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    None
    New Lo-An has been fishing 100- 120+ miles down south and offshore. PQ has been further up, 80 miles south. PQ was out yesterday with no report, not a good sign. Tough to relocate the schools after every storm with another bit of rough weather ahead Thursday-Saturday.

11. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    I always say....You'll never know...unless you go! LOL

T-Tang likes this.
  12. T-Tang

Name:
    Tyson
    Boat:
    21' Bayliner Trophy
    Yeah, finding a high-strung sardine among the laidback, lethargic ones in the livewell was a big issue. Just when you thought you had a great bait, it just wouldn't always perform when tossed over the side. I've seen livelier.

13. joshua mosley

joshua mosley Newbie

Name:
    josua mosley
    Boat:
    none
    that's why I'm watching the bites. I saw the lunar predictions for this weekend where not favorable and as such I'm just not sure I wanna risk 325 bucks for a nice boat ride. thought bout going after some bugs instead dunno

14. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    I noticed the PQ didn't report on the fish counts AT ALL! Is that normal when they strike out?

15. Colorado

Colorado Newbie

Name:
    Curt Fonken
    Boat:
    none
    Always good to get out, especially when you put fish on the deck. Thanks for the report

16. Mab69

Mab69 Member

Name:
    Marc
    Boat:
    sealantro
    I was stuck on the bow with Tony. He killed it. I just got a 30 and a 70. Awesome trip and crew. Funny good crowd too. Boat was full but it was a cool bunch. Left at 7 which means 8 after bait. Boat stopped around 4:30. So only 80 or 90 miles down. It was awesome. Blisters and cuts from going over and under with a pissed off 70 pounder controlling me for awhile. Learned a lot this trip for some reason.

17. Rocco F.

Rocco F. Newbie

Name:
    Rocco
    Boat:
    The neighbors
    the PQ reported 100 yellowtail i guess they paddy hopped instead...the NLA didn't report they were likely bent on bluefin but didn't find any...will be interesting to see what the weekend holds several other boats going out looking?