Amigo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 23, 2006
usa
Name
Rolando
Boat
25 Chris-Craft
Any help would be appreciated , trying to get more drag on a P 322f og. Upgraded drags to Carbontex with some Cal's grease,any idea how to lap drags for more pressure, or maybe run drags dry? Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks.........

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Order some stainless drag discs from Smooooth Drags. They're lapped flat, so mucho more contact with the drag material.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
Honestly i think you got out of it what you can with the carbontex and as for the stainless drag discs i tried it(smooth drag is my neighbor!) and saw NO increase in drag pressure from stock so unless yours are old or jacked up thats not gonna help IMO.How much drag do you need to fish 25 or 30 really anyways?you should be able to get 8-10 pounds with the carbontex.

Amigo

Jul 23, 2006
usa
Name
Rolando
Boat
25 Chris-Craft
Thanks for all replys guys. I will try the other lapped discs for sure. Just trying something so that I dont have to crank down on star ....

REELKING

Aug 22, 2009
Name
MR.CHIN
Boat
THE MIGHTY VICTORY
if ur tigten all the way down for some local fish then maybe u should up grade ur reel not the drags

stiffblade

Jul 21, 2007
Southern California
Name
Ricardo
Boat
None
Don't go heavy on the drag grease just a light film on both sides. Yes you will lose a pound or two of drag due to the grease but the smooth start up of the drag is what keeps the fish on the hook instead of a jerky drag that breaks the line. If anything you should have more drag with an original P332F, that reel usually has a 4 stack drag. Get the schematic and make sure all your washers and spacers are aligned correctly. 25-30lb line is the sweet spot for that reel.

stiffblade

Amigo

Jul 23, 2006
usa
Name
Rolando
Boat
25 Chris-Craft
If you dont have anything good to say or help f-off, I probably have more reels and have caught fish than you donkey.

kantstudien

Aug 2, 2010
OC
There are different sized washers that go between the brass spacer and the drag star. If you play around with the two different thicknesses (3-18), you can get more drag. On a P322 you can usually do at least one thick and one thin, but there might be room for two thick. Also get rid of the wavy washers if it is an original P-series. Replace with the two different 3-18 drag lock washers.

If it is a P-series, then you will have more room to play with because the aluminum star is thinner than the graphite one. Too many washers and you won't be able to tighten the star down enough to put the handle on, or else once you get the handle on you won't be able to back the star off. It's a balancing act really.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
If you need more drag, put your fingers on the spool as the fish runs. :rofl:

mchawk

Nov 9, 2005
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
Give Smoooth Drag a call, they make a 5 stack carbontex drag set-up for the penn 500's, they should work in the newells too.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
Hola,

i had the same problems with my 332's and 322's with shimano greased penn 500 drag washers.

i added one extra greased penn washer to the middle washer and it works fine for me.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

OFN

COB
Mar 18, 2007
Leona Valley
Name
Nat
Boat
Striper 2150, Indie
X2 on the smooth drag discs and washers. I have them on my old 338P. Don't know that I have any more pressure, but the drag system just performs much nicer. Great products.

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
Azusa, CA
Name
Chris Lomax
Boat
none
Try to find the old conversions for the wave washers. It has two beveled washers. The thicker on goes inside the reel on top of the drag stack. The thinner one goes on just before the star drag. This should give a lot more drag.

bluefish69

Jan 13, 2012
Howard Beach, N.Y.
Name
Michael Solomon
Boat
NoT a boat owner
Here in Brooklyn N.Y. we have been using HT-100s [6-309] dry with a 18-505 Penn beveled washer on top. I work on a PB here in Brooklyn so I hear a lot of combos but this work OK for us. Next I am trying a 8-60 Penn beveled washer.

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
Azusa, CA
Name
Chris Lomax
Boat
none
For #30 there shouldn't be any problem getting enough drag out of an older P series Newell. 40 should be okay, any heavier is likely going to be an issue.

The reels as originally designed were meant to be fished with 20-40 pound test. Used within those parameters there shouldn't be any problem getting enough drag.

Newell Nut

May 26, 2013
Port Orange, FL USA
Name
Dwight
Boat
No Boat
To max out the drag around 32# on a P 332 is quite easy. Contact Bryan Young at Alantani.com

What you need is the 5+1 set which comes with very thin SS disc and .5mm smoothdrags. The plus one goes under the gear. I have personally taken this a step further. I can attach a thin SS disc to my gear sleeves and use a full size .5mm smoothdrag under my gear. I have tested this system a year now and no problem. Just very smooth and strong drags.

My 500 Newells have a full 6 disc arrangement and go to 42#. My 600s have an eight disc arrangement and I don't know the max but it is powerful.

Last edited:

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
X2 with Bryan.

My 332 now gets 25# of drag, I couldn't get that before with the current stack and Carbontex. Super smooth as well...

noa

Jun 16, 2008
Northern California
Name
Bryan
Boat
Ke Ola Hou
Amigo, Young's Tackle at 4972 La Palma Ave, La Palma, CA 90623 (562) 402-9191 carries the drag kit.

eddiefishtaco

Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
You may need a new Belville washer
I'll get the 5 stack kit from Alantani.com