bunske123

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2011
longbeach/ca/usa
Name
bun
Boat
idk
So I went fishing today in Long beach and it was low tide and as I was fishing I saw somebody looking through rocks...so I decided to look too and found some oyster...have anybody ever took some home and ate it before?

Reactions: mikeypee
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Would not recommend since they say don't eat mussles!!! Mercury n shit. But a few probably be ok.

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
I have seen them in San Diego Bay at low tide. I would not even think about eating them. Have you ever had a bad oyster?
Thought i was going to turn inside out.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
I have eaten bad oysters and yea it aint pretty.

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
There's a reason you still see oysters in our bays.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
ah...guess what...lobsters don't filter feed

Reactions: Johnlgarrison
Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Eating filter feeders in or near harbors is for geniuses only..

Filter, swallow it's all the same, particularly when there's a huge gay population in Belmont Shore. I know fisherman who won't touch the lobster in LB Harbor. Lobster are just aquatic cock roaches. They may not filter feed, but they eat everything else that sinks to the bottom.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Mussel & Scallop Market
CSR%20Logo%20Image.jpg

Mussel-Farming-DJ2.jpg
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif

Global mussel production amounts to about 2 million metric tons worth over $1 billion dollars and expanding exponentially, especially in the United States.
Catalina Sea Ranch will cultivate the Mediterranean mussel, which has been introduced to coastal marine environments throughout the world and is not considered a new invasive species. They are larger, faster growing and have greater meat content (50% vs. 35%) than the Blue mussel and are more tolerant to heat and salinity.
National Marine Fishery Service data show 33.7 million pounds of live farmed mussels imported into the United States during 2012 that were produced in foreign waters. The vast majority of these mussels (32.9 million pounds) were harvested from Prince Edward Island, Canada located over 3,500 miles away.
transparent.gif

Catalina Sea Ranch is developing spawning and grow-out technologies for the native Purple Hinge Rock Scallop. This species of scallops blanket the legs of the nearby oil platforms and presents a prime market opportunity for “first to cultivate” this high-value shellfish for the billion dollar scallop industry.

transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif

transparent.gif

transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif
transparent.gif

1. •Americans annually import about 42 million pounds of mussels, or nearly 10 times what they produce.
  1. •If California's population of 38 million would ultimately reach European mussel consumption of 4.4 pounds annually per capita, this would amount to over 160 million pounds.
CSR%20Logo%20Image_1.jpg

http://www.catalinasearanch.com/Catalinasearanch.com/Mussel_&_Scallop_Market.html

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
The water in Carlsbad is cleaner.... They do sell mussels and oysters raised in the lagoon.

Carlsbad Aquafarm

Carlsbad Aquafarm cultivates Mediterranean Blue Mussels, Pacific Oysters and Ogo. The company has been in operation since 1990 in Carlsbad. The farm has developed a secondary line of products for the marine aquaria trade known as “live-feed” that includes micro- and macro algae, copepods, amphipods and brine shrimp

http://www.carlsbadaquafarm.com/

Reactions: Bottom Line
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
There are farms all up n down our coast!! They are making a new Abalone one by Half Moon Bay to supply the huge market in the Bay Area. Be good for all.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Correct. They eat fecal matter raw, without filtering it. Hard core shit eaters.
well damn ...I guess all us lobster fisherman been using the wrong bait....or is that the secret to limits every trip...come on you lobster fisherman using shit for bait...spill the beans...what do you eat the days before you collect your "bait"

Reactions: peteking
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Numerous farms in lower Baja on the Pacific side where the water is cleaner by far. My friend owns one.

Starting to import product to the US in 2015. They can grow up to 40,000,000 oyster's per year, plus several types of scallops. 100% sustainable, renewable and with no by-catch, feed required or waste.

Upvote 0