Owner Ultra Split Rings: the right pliers?

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
A while back I spent the 70 bucks on the HPA split ring pliers, in order to open the beastly Owner Ultra split rings. But each time I use them, and get the split ring on the wire of a jig, the split ring did not snap back all the way. You can see a slight gap; it's been permanently de-formed.

I tried to open these rings with my 10 dollar pliers; they don't work.

So the question to y'all: have you found a particular brand of split ring pliers that will open these rings enough to get them on a jig, without de-forming the ring?

Or is this a flaw with the Ultra....that it can't easily be used without de-forming? (the act of rotating the ring around the jig wire deforms the ring, no matter how it was originally opened...?)

Thanks

p.s. yes, I have the biggest Hyperwire rings. I want the Ultras to work :-)

Reactions: locvetter

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Following.. I've found that its not necessarily the pliers that deform the ring but the act of sliding in the jig that deforms them for me. I've tried pressing them back into shape but no matter what I do there is still a slight opening. This is especially true in the larger/heavier rings.

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    A while back I spent the 70 bucks on the HPA split ring pliers, in order to open the beastly Owner Ultra split rings. But each time I use them, and get the split ring on the wire of a jig, the split ring did not snap back all the way. You can see a slight gap; it's been permanently de-formed.

So the question to y'all: have you found a particular brand of split ring pliers that will open these rings enough to get them on a jig, without de-forming the ring?

Or is this a flaw with the Ultra....that it can't easily be used without de-forming? (the act of rotating the ring around the jig wire deforms the ring, no matter how it was originally opened...?)

Thanks

I have the Shimano ones, and using them on jigs, it not too easy to get them through the hole, because the jigs are fatter then flat falls, that is why
    Most people have a jigs brazed
    With a solid ring.

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Following.. I've found that its not necessarily the pliers that deform the ring but the act of sliding in the jig that deforms them for me. I've tried pressing them back into shape but no matter what I do there is still a slight opening. This is especially true in the larger/heavier rings.
    Yes...I think you're right! If I simply pop the end of the split ring open with the HPA pliers, the ring snaps back fine. It's only after doing the whole rotation that it seems to de-form. I may have to settle for the Hyperwire #11.

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Ive been using the dr fish 400lb split rings from Amazon. Mainly because they return to their original shape. And they are really strong

29D52BA7-F652-42E0-9E02-7059026696B3.jpeg

Wandering Blues
    Wandering Blues
    Agreed. I found them to be easier to split, with no memory. Haven’t hung a big fish on them yet, but they survived a 150# dead pull with no issues.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Ive been using the dr fish 400lb split rings from Amazon. Mainly because they return to their original shape. And they are really strong
    You know what's interesting....in looking at pics of this dr fish split ring...I see that the wire has a 'flat' on it. Both the Williamson and Mustad jigs come with a similar style split ring, and it turns out that they hold up pretty well. As in....several >150 lb bluefin, with no failure. I'm still a little leary because it's not known to me who makes those rings.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff

Thanks

As others have said, for $13 try the pitbull pliers. I find them easy to use.

Another restatement, your problem may be the size of the jig not the pliers.

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Best one to open heavy split rings is the braid anglers tool. I use it for the even the heaviest split rings and 6/0 trebles. I suggest tying a piece of string or a trash bag tie to the split ring when trying to put a bigger hook in. Sometime the ring just shoots off and it is much easier to find if it is attached to something.

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none

Thanks

pit bull

Reactions: Blind Luck
    Upvote 0

fuj

Aug 13, 2006
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    nope
    Yes, this is really the issue. It's more prevalent today due to folks modifying slow pitch / flat fall style jigs with stout hardware and larger hooks. Putting a 5/0 ST-76 or 10/0 7691 on the largest, heaviest #11 Ultra Wire split ring still requires opening the ring wider than the HPA or equivalent split ring plier can do.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Any luck with KastKing pliers? Intimidator model. $19.99 Amazon

Upvote 0

SD853

Almost A Member
    Dec 4, 2010
    Wildomar
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    NO
    I use the Shimano’s also $17ish bucks. Once you get the ring over the jig or hook, be gentle you just have to spin it on from there. If I’m working with a treble hook I’ll also use a pair of duck-bills to hold the hook. And I agree soldered rings are best.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    So, I may have screwed the pooch. I ordered the Pitbull pliers, directly from the manufacturer, just now realizing they make a HD version. They’re due to arrive Friday. I also ordered a bag of their split rings. Not a word of advice from them on my choice or if the pliers I ordered are compatible with the rings, I think 350#

Should I return them and order the HD model?

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    So, I may have screwed the pooch. I ordered the Pitbull pliers, directly from the manufacturer, just now realizing they make a HD version. They’re due to arrive Friday. I also ordered a bag of their split rings. Not a word of advice from them on my choice or if the pliers I ordered are compatible with the rings, I think 350#

Should I return them and order the HD model?
    I suspect we both ordered the pit bulls reflexing to some thread - -mine can today. I ordered both sizes. the little ones are itty bitty. Have not yet tried them, but suspect I might not even open the little ones. Big ones look nice, and are quite different that either classic split rings or the Texas style.

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    Regular sr pliers work on light stuff...bass lures etc.
    The HD work on the heavier stuff...
    I use the HD on my 100# plus split rings.

Steve...pm me
    I'll send you a pair of HD's

Reactions: Steve K

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Update, Mike Grieco (Blind Luck) hooked me up with the right pliers and some other swag. Good dude, thanks!

Upvote 0