Owner Hooks' "hangnail"

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Who here uses the Owner hooks with the tip bent in in their "hangnail" design? I started using their super mutu last time out and it worked well for me. I did have one hook pull out on a nice fish, though. I know there are more experienced here who have a take on these hooks.

First trip out I was using the Gorilla hooks and they seemed to work really well.

2. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    You know, I once had a real nice fish lost to exactly the same thing, super mutu pulled. I suspect it hung up somewhere other than the corner because of the kirbed design.
    If a circle isn't kirbed it really hard to hook the bait, if it is kirbed it might hang up somewhere other than the corner.
    These days I'm liking J hooks way more than circles, like most guys.
    It wouldn't be fun if you decked EVERY fish you hooked, would it??

3. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Um...yeah it would. :Kick_emoticon:

My first trip out I was putting on the Gorilla 4/0 and lovin it. I got a good vibe from that hook. The Mutus were working as planned last time...just reel up tight and keep reeling - other than my one mysterious loss. It wasn't even a tug...just instant dead slack. I think Kenny the deckhand was more pissed than I was. We thought we were gonna bring up a whopper. There were two other guys who hooked one of these unexpectedly large yellowfin out at the rocks on that trip - none were landed.

Thanks Sactotuna.

4. eightmd

eightmd Newbie

Name:
    Doal
    Boat:
    17' Nitro
    I don't know what a hangnail design is???

I've used pretty much nothing but Owners and mostly the gorilla circles for the last 10 years? I think. I've never had any issues with them but hooking a bait with a circle hook is a little harder. I would rather use a smaller gorilla than a thinner circle. I've settled on Owners pretty much because I wanted to go with just one brand and they are a good one.

Oh, I do use some J hooks for wahoo bombs, and I think I have some larger J hooks if I feel like using them on large bottom yellowtail but mostly I'll go with circles for them too.

5. Baja Dreamer

Baja Dreamer Push the button Max!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    I've been using Mutus and Super Mutus since they came out and I love 'em. I've lost very few fish to them "pulling", and I pull as hard on a fish as the next guy.

The thing is that hooks are like any other piece of terminal gear. If you aske ten different guys what they like, you might get 10 different answers! :eek:

The best I can do is tell you to try a few different hooks and see what works best for you. Sure, there are hooks that are better than others for a given purpose or species, and there are hooks that are sharper, stonger, shaped differently, etc. But in the end a lot of it is just like any other piece of tackle you'll use. You have to have confidence in it to fish it well, and that often makes the difference. ;)

6. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Several years ago I had a bad experience with Owner Super Mutu's that affected my confidence in them. While fishing cows on the Finger bank I had two super mutus, a 4/0 and a 5/0, snap in half while pulling on big fish. The hooks came from different packs purchased at different stores. Ironically another angler had the same thing happen to him with a 4/0 super mutu.

Upon further examination with both Tim and Randy in the wheelhouse we found the hooks from both packs extremely brittle and would snap in half with a slight pressure applied to the hook at a 90 degree angle with a pair of dykes.

We also noted a design flaw in the hook in that the eye of the hook utilized a tapered wire to complete the loop. When you cinched down a knot (5 turn Trilene) the knot would gravitate toward the thinner wire side of the eye leaving your angle of pull off center.

When I returned from that trip I contacted Owner hooks and explained my frustration at losing large tuna due to breaking hooks and our observations regarding the tapered eye wire. Ultimately the design was changed to incorporate a uniform wire throughout the eye of the hook to insure the knot would not slide around to the thinner diameter wire and effect the angle of pull. They also sent me a large box of various Owner hooks at no cost to lessen the sting of the lost fish, many of which I still have today in storage and were never used.

I began using the Eagle Claw 2004 and 2005 circles and have not had similar problems, not to mention a box of 50 costs what 5 super mutus cost. Tim and Randy began recommending the Eagle Claws due to the larger gap between the shank and point that seemed to insure better, deeper corner of the jaw hooksets as well as a more flexing, lighter springy wire that would flex as opposed to breaking. The smaller diameter wire also did less damage to the bait in butt hook or shoulder hook applications as well as improved bait presentation due to the lighter weight of the hook itself. The 7/0, 8/0 and 9/0 sizes have accounted for many cow tuna being landed.

I know there are guys who swear by the Owner Super Mutus and have had great success with them, and perhaps they are a better designed hook today, but from my prespective losing two opportunities on cows when those opportunities are limited caused me to shy away from using them. The Eagle Claws have worked well for me for all of the reasons stated above...

7. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Well, Owner uses the word "forged" a lot in their literature. Forged = brittle, relative to other forming methods. The hangnail is reported as forged on all models where it appears.

Probably easy to overthink hooks, as is done with all other pieces of equipment already. I like the Gorilla model. Will examine the Eagle Claw circles at the local shop.

8. JSR

JSR Member

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    n/a
    had the ec 7/0 straighten out on the last trip
    pulled the gorillas
    leaning toward the demon 4x circle and owner offshore ringed hooks
    the owner hooks do use a higher carbon steel than ec and though stronger, purport to be lighter

9. iconpyro

iconpyro Newbie

Name:
    Iconpyro
    Boat:
    I wish I had one...I wouldn't be working then.
    I have switched to Demon 4x circles for a majority of my fishing. I still fish owners but I like using the bigger Super Mutus for the kite/salami/chunk fishing. I haven't had one break on my but losing them to the sharks is annoying. I hit 11 sharks in a row one time and I was like wow for that amount of BlackWater line and the hooks I just lost about $100 (at least).

10. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:

Ive pulled too many circles, im done unless someone is paying me to fish circle hooks.

Seriously though... I don't know what the consensus is, but it's as though the idea of fishing J-hooks is out of the question. I'm not sure why. Circle hooks have been around forever, and they do serve a purpose and work perfectly on a long line. I would never use J-hooks on a long line, makes no sense. I would never troll with a circle hook. I think i decided after pulling several hooks on my last trip that i''m going back to J's. If i ever get a chance to fish long range again im fishing 7691's. I know i will get some strange looks, and some may even say they wont work or wont get bit. Bottom line is that if you hook a cow on the right gear on an 6/0-8/0 7691 cadmium welded hook, you aren't going to break it or straighten it, and if the fish swallows it you are not going to pull it. You also have a very good chance of hooking the corner just right, and as good a chance as hooking some other part of the mouth or head. There is the danger of chaffing the line on gill plate or teeth, but i think if you kill the fish fast enough that isn't much of an issue with 130 flouro.

Circle hooks were made for long lines, and the concept translated over well into a good corner hook for sport "c&r fishing", but we aren't C&R big tuna, and this isn't longline fishing.

The amount of visible hook on a 6/0 7691 or 6/0 super mutu is probably about the same, mutu is probably thicker, makes a bigger hole in the bait.

I'm confident in Mustad 7691. I think i'm just done with circles. I tried em several times and i don't believe they are better than J's. I will keep an open mind. always.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011