Owner Assist hook differences

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
I'm looking at the difference between the Owner Dancing Stinger hooks vs the Owner Monster assist hooks both in 7/0.
The only difference I see is 2 1/4" vs 2 3/4" and the monster has an extra black wrap over the red wrap attached to the hook which I assume is just extra protection.

Is it that much of a downside to go for the Dancing Stinger hooks or am I missing something.

Thanks for any and all replies.....unless you're a twat waffle looking to stir stuff up.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Twat waffle, i bet that's yummy.

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    So when using 300lb leader a treble hook. Is ok on a flyer bait targeting cows?

yummy_45 (1).jpeg

Carl
    Carl
    First try at rigging a yummee?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    The dancing stringer is a thiner wire hook. They are great for yellowtail and school tuna, but if you're looking for something for those larger bluefin, go for the monster.

With that said, if you're using a smaller / shorter jig, there are some other options out there with a shorter assist cord, to better match the big size. I like shout kudako and jigging master hooks; however, be very careful if you order shout, as their sizing is all ****ed up... a 9/0 shout is the size of a credit card...

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    The dancing stringer is a thiner wire hook. They are great for yellowtail and school tuna, but if you're looking for something for those larger bluefin, go for the monster.

With that said, if you're using a smaller / shorter jig, there are some other options out there with a shorter assist cord, to better match the big size. I like shout kudako and jigging master hooks; however, be very careful if you order shout, as their sizing is all ****ed up... a 9/0 shout is the size of a credit card...
    Both 7/0 are rated to 240lbs though unlike the smaller sizes of Dancing Stingers which are rated 110, 140 and 180 lbs as opposed to all Monsters having a 240lb rating

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    One difference is the cord that attaches the hook. Monster has the thick, braided, multiple cords while stinger has single cord. Some stingers also have longer single cord and others shorter cord - long cord can tend to wear on teeth quicker & similar with single cord that is shorter.

The rating you see on the packaging is for the cord, not the hook.

this link to another BD post, with pics, shows the typical difference and outcome of the difference in the hooks. Read the post and see

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/producer-overnight-front-yard-bft.775048/

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    One difference is the cord that attaches the hook. Monster has the thick, braided, multiple cords while stinger has single cord. Some stingers also have longer single cord and others shorter cord - long cord can tend to wear on teeth quicker & similar with single cord that is shorter.

The rating you see on the packaging is for the cord, not the hook.

this link to another BD post, with pics, shows the typical difference and outcome of the difference in the hooks. Read the post and see

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/producer-overnight-front-yard-bft.775048/
    Awesome!!!
    Thank you very much for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Upvote 0

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Leonard Gibson
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    Both 7/0 are rated to 240lbs though unlike the smaller sizes of Dancing Stingers which are rated 110, 140 and 180 lbs as opposed to all Monsters having a 240lb rating

I wish I saw this before I ordered my Shout Kudako hooks. Bought size 6-9. Now I plan on returning sizes 7-9 and getting sizes 5-6.

Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    I wish I saw this before I ordered my Shout Kudako hooks. Bought size 6-9. Now I plan on returning sizes 7-9 and getting sizes 5-6.
    I use my 9/0's that I bought on accident as "big bait" hooks when fishing skipjack or salami mackerel. It's about the same size as a 20/0 eagleclaw circle hook. I caught a 293# yellowfin on one. I kept the hook, and even years later, no rust or corrosion on it.

Upvote 0

Latest posts