Overnights fishing BFT at night??!

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by FishAcquisition, Oct 2, 2018.

1. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Wondering if the Overnighters are fishing BFT in the early am hours or just in YFT pursuit mode as dawn hits.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Could be wrong, but as far as the SD fleet goes I don't think they're even close to the BFT neighborhood. That and if they're overnight boats running every day, think the billed capt is sleeping until the am to meet CG reqs so they're not even "fishing" until 5ish.

3. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Who's driving isn't the issue. First off the idea that there are shifts is a paper tiger, the relief and the primary both typically "sleep" in the wheelhouse.
    It's really just a question of when the boat can get to where its going and to where and when they leave. Typical overnight leaves at 8-10pm. Minimum 70 mile run to fish Clemente at 10mph is about 7 hours travel time. Assuming they leave at 8pm, have bait and don't need to stop (a generous assumption) and somehow get over the fish immediately, an overnight might be able to fish from 3am-sun up. That's best case, basically impossible scenario. Also assuming that case if that boat has to make it back to port and do it all over again (and not get bait, fuel, etc.) it's just not mathematically feasible unless it leaves the grounds at noon - which would the tinder for for a BD bonfire bashing of a century if they struck out in their short fishing window.

Whalebreath and FishAcquisition like this.
  4. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Plenty of boats were doing it, but leaving around 4pm and getting in around 10pm. It's not that it's not possible to fish before 430-5am, just saying that the boats aren't looking for fish before then most often. They may happen to drift over some, but not common. That's been my experience with them at least.

Most of the overnight boats are fishing south to my knowledge, and no where near Clemente, so after gray light it would be like a 4 hr run to where they've been fishing. There's yellowfin around Clemente but it's higher risk. Again, not about what's possible but what they're actually doing.

5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Totally agree, only even mentioned it because the topic was night fishing for bluefin, which is pretty much only happening in vicinity of Clemente currently, which I guess my post should have been summed up as "its possible but not likely" or "you probably wont be fishing for bluefin at all on an overnight currently unless it's out of one of the landings north of Oceanside"

FishAcquisition and RideHPD like this.
  6. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    If you want bluefin, this is your trip. Plenty of time to get at them, great price for the duration, and leaving at 4 to fish the first night. We need more to get off the dock

72E04FED-5F35-4CF5-99DE-01CE27B3CD10.png

7. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    OK, YFT, YT and Dodo’s tonight then.

Would need to flip a piece of Real Estate to replenish my “Training Fund” $1000 bueno for 4.5 days.