Overnighter for Rookie 1st Timer

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by HoxFish, Apr 5, 2018.

1. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    My teenage daughter wants to give it a go with me in the next few weeks. This is her first ride out, but I refuse to go the half day or 3/4 day route. I'm a cattle guy, but I draw the line at 30-35 - which is bad enough, let alone 70 lines in the water at the same time. That just ain't my thing.

Anyway, I'm leaning the El Dorado or Pacific Islander. Obviously two very different locations, but I'm thinking rockfish with the best shot (for me :D) at a possible YT or two.

What do you think?

tresbien likes this.
  2. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    It's awesome that your daughter wants to pick up the hobby with you. Given that, overnight for a 1st timer is not such a great idea. If it works out great! If not, you'll turn her off for life.

You can do rockfish at this time of year on 1/2 days and 3/4 days with very light loads. Usually less than 20.

Good luck!

matta57 likes this.
  3. Shon

Shon Fish til I can't fish no more

Name:
    Shon
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    Both great boats and they are catching really good quality rockfish right now with a little showing of yellows. I really want to try the Pacific Islander up north, just because it’s a lot closer to the islands and the quality seems to always be a bit better up north. I’m really into fishing the Channel Islands right now with shots at seabass, yellowtail and of course rockfish.
    I’d say try something out of the box, take her up north for some different scenery and too a place she’s never been. I’d did that with my 16 year old and he absolutely loved it and keeps asking when are we going back. Good luck and enjoy your mini vacation.

HoxFish likes this.
  4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Get some Bonine for her and make sure she has the time of her life if you want her to come back. Tipping the crew guy at sign in with a $20 telling them to make sure she gets looked over and taken care of will go a long way as well. Other than that. rockfish are usual good as they bite readily most days. The name of the game is for her to catch some fish and enjoy the outdoors with dad..!!!

5. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Congratulations on doing a good job at raising your daughter! I agree with Greg, I try hard to start several teenagers fishing every year, and I've found that a 3/4-day trip on a good boat, especially during mid-week, is the best overall experience. I don't know where you live ... if you like to fish out of the San Diego area it is pretty hard to beat the San Diego out of Seaforth for getting a youngster started right. Dana Point has a great reputation for patience and giving kids a great day. And up in my area in Long Beach, I like to ride the Sport King out of San Pedro.

Jigslinger likes this.
  6. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    Boats are pretty light loads at the moment and rock fishing is going very well. Ventura boats will probably start filling up with the sign of YT yesterday.

I would throw in the Chief out of 22nd Street as well. They are running overnights for a good price with light loads. With Rick Russell and Tino (previously from the Freedom) you should be in good shape. The crew is good with kids and very patient.

Adrien

Shon likes this.
  7. Pete1979

Pete1979 Member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Anything that floats
    I like both the Pacific Islander and the El Dorado but don’t count out the Thunderbird out of Davey’s Locker. They’re loads are light right now and they’ve been finding quality fish lately.

8. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Aaron ,
    Several things to consider being this would be her first time out , do you know if she can tolerate being on a boat without getting sea sick?
    If your considering a motion sickness pill ,or patch make sure she has it 24 hrs prior to getting on the boat , maybe another one a few hours before getting on the boat .. I would also bring Ginger , Crackers just incase

For rock fish
    Channel Island sport fishing would be your best bet, the Mirage would be my choice, limited to 25 same price .
    Pacific islander is good too , i think they take 30 out ....

Keep things simple ,
    level wind with spectra , mono Top shot , double dropper loop with 3/0 -4/0 hooks
    your going to need 16 ounce sinkers

9. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    All these have been great suggestions and there’s only one thing I would add. Don’t fish yourself if you want your daughter to stick to it. With my daughter I would keep her right at the rail with me and show her and explain exactly what I was doing. Once I hooked one, I handed off. Once she got better at fighting them, I would hook and hand off and then hook one of my own. She has gotten better over time, but I know starting her this way made her really get excited to go again and better at fishing overall.

51B6450E-3035-40E4-A19B-79E23830A5F9.jpeg

10. HoxFish

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    Appreciate all of the input so far guys. For starters, the 24hr Dramamine is already in the 1st aid kit for the tackle bag, and isn't expired. ;) I thought about the NO bacon burger with mayo convo already too LOL
    I'll bring some snacks, and like the idea of crackers and ginger just in case.

The plan is to set her up with a Komodo and/or Slammer 3. She has her hook and loop knots down already. Thankfully, the kid is a quick study. Something tells me she'll be like her mom and shooing me away saying "I got this" in no time.

Shon likes this.
  11. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    You guys are good dads.

Haly0, HoxFish and Shon like this.
  12. Rauterki

Rauterki The worst fisherman on the boat

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I'm in the market. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
    Mirage out of Channel Islands. Fantastic crew, will definitely take care of you and your girl and dare I say it...she’s GUARANTEED to catch some fish.

Shon likes this.
  13. Shon

Shon Fish til I can't fish no more

Name:
    Shon
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
    Yep went out there last month, great crew, good cook and fantastic time. Only 24 guys and it’s a comfy boat.

Rauterki likes this.
  14. Kevin Helfend

Kevin Helfend Member

Name:
    Kevin Helfend
    Boat:
    none
    Check out the Amigo in Ventura. Super crew. They only take 20 on an overnight trip. Easy parking at the landing. Get there early and have dinner at the restaurant right next to the boat.

15. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I have a friend who knows the captain. He goes on the boat and has only said good things about it and there numbers are great

16. LordIsGod

LordIsGod John 3:16

Name:
    Randy P.
    Boat:
    yak
    This is ! She will love it! I have a 3 & 5 y/o. They are already asking me to take them fishing. Going to wait till 7 before going on a half day... sorry couldn’t help myself.. lol. Your dtr will love it. Keep her by your side, guide her and she will have it down and won’t leave your side. God bless!

HoxFish likes this.
  17. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    I prefer the pacific islander to the el dorado, but the el dorado usually fishes san nicholas. Quality fish in shallow water. They also have been picking a few yellows out there. Basically the question is do you want to fish 120 feet deep or 300?

HoxFish likes this.
  18. Kwohlers8

Kwohlers8 Anchor Point

Name:
    Kris
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
    They’re never to young to take them fishing. My girls started going ocean fishing with me at two years old. They’ll get their sea legs and sea sickness won’t be an issue. Now at five and seven, I can’t pull the boat out of the yard without my girls. My son just turned two so I’ll get him out there this year.

LordIsGod likes this.
  19. Cy Bodden

Cy Bodden Been there done that

Name:
    Cy
    Boat:
    Parker 2120
    For some people its the smells that get to them. You can get green before leaving the dock. Sitting at the back rail waiting to head out breathing in diesel fumes and a couple of guys chilling with their Camels can get you. I always suggest not to hangout in the galley as well.

HoxFish likes this.
  20. HoxFish

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    So true. Only been sick twice out of the countless times I've been on private craft and commercial boats. Both times were the diesel fumes. Nothing personal to the smokers, but I hate the smell of cigarettes just as much.

Touché on NOT hanging out in the galley. It's funny what I take for granted now, having done this since childhood.