Wish I could catch as much as I fish
May 3, 2007
Irvine
Name
Jeremy
Boat
n/a
Hey guys,

Planning to hit an overnighter out of SD next week. Hopefully the fish will still be biting! Just thinking ahead, logistically, and wondering how fish processing would work in the case that we do well. The boat is slated to return the next night at around 7-8pm or so. From what I've been reading, we would want to make reservations for processing and then expect to pick the fish up the day *after* that? How does that work for those of you who have done these coming from LA/OC and want to get your fish back ASAP? Is it possible to get it done within a couple hours same night after getting back before driving home? Otherwise, what do you generally do? Stay a night in SD?

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Never done the night thing so not sure if they actually process that night or simply keep at their facility til the morning crew arrives. But with a morning arrival, yes, they can have it ready for you within a couple hours. Although with their flash freezers it's a better choice to simply pick up the next day. Give them a call and they can answer your question

Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    I called 5-star and they said they can hold the fish for up to a month. We plan to be back in La Jolla for a night in a couple weeks so that may work. What I may do, if we catch fish, is bring one or two smaller ones back to fillet myself (so that we can enjoy some of it as fresh as possible) and leave the rest to be processed then pick it up when we head back a couple weeks later.

Reactions: Jig Strike
    Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
    Aug 8, 2008
    Newport
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
    Call 5-Star and talk with Rocio the GM (619) 299-9996.. they're one of the best.. my guess is you'll have to leave it overnight.. and it will be frozen when you pick it up, g'luck !

Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    You have just jinxed your trip. I don't know the fix, but predictions for your trip are now bleak!

LOL I know! Can't win either way - if I end up pulling into the garage with hundreds of pounds of whole tuna at midnight, my wife will probably try to use the fillet knife on me!

Reactions: skrilla
    Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Someday
    Their is no "while you wait" option for overnight boats.
    On a side note, I'd leave it all. The way they process allows for sushi quality fish, no need to take 1 or 2 home.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    Just went through this on a 2 day.

Got back to landing around 7:45pm. Was supposed to be back by 7pm.

Previously I spoke to someone at Sportsman (trip was out of Seaforth) and he said someone would be there until 8:30pm. It was closed by the time we got to dock.

Another guy made a call to 5 star and was told to come drop it off.

I loaded my fish and headed that way. Garage door was open, unloaded my catch, gave me the paper work and off I went. Was told it would not be ready until 10am the next morning when they open.

As far as I can tell, no one processes at night. Only drop off.

It sucks for people who live in LA/OC because either you have to stay the night or have them hold it until you get back to SD. Of course they can ship it as well or you can have a homie grab it for you if they are staying in SD.

Reactions: jplee3
    Upvote 0

jplee3

May 3, 2007
    Irvine
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    n/a
    lot of overnighters offer fillet on the boat via the crew. unless youre trying to actively avoid that

I was wondering if they would when the boat does really well. If we get nicer quality fish though, I don't know that I'd want that. But regardless, the bigger issue aside from processing is preserving the fish so that it will last as long as possible. Years ago I went out on the Legend when the albies were around and came back with limits. A lot of that fish lost its quality pretty quickly sitting in our freezer wrapped in cling-wrap and/or packed in freezer bags lol. Didn't have a vacuum sealer at that point. We had the deckhands fillet everything but I'm thinking it would have been worth a trip to 5-star for that when I look back - I just didn't know about all that processing stuff back then.

Upvote 0

SD32J

Cattle Boat Newb & Weekend Warrior
    Jun 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    Weekend Warrior
    Sportsmans is a bit cheaper but I suppose you get what you pay for. Sometimes they don't have the bright labels which make it easy to tell in your freezer what the fish fillet is. I have also been turned away from Sportsmans because they were "too busy".

Upvote 0